Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TC 'on even when off'??  (Read 1207 times)

luv_my_mv6

• Northwood (London)
  • Just one thing after another
    • View Profile
TC 'on even when off'??
« on: 24 June 2007, 19:44:48 »

Went down to local tesco's easrlier, and as it was empty in the car park and raining, I thought i'd experience a bit of rear wheeled fun, I turned off the TC and warning lite lit up on dash ok, but upon trying to get the rear wheels to spin or let go, the TC seemed to still kick in and cut the engine power allowing the wheels to grip again after about 2 seconds of spin, the road was wringing wet, and no matter how much power was given before letting clutch go, it stopped me being a bad boy, anyone thoughts or is it just a case of 'curse of the ex-plod' car?

mv6copcar

• Intermediate Member
  • Essex, Halstead
    • View Profile
Re: TC 'on even when off'??
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2007, 20:06:10 »

hmmm, i had the same deal with my ex plod car. had to take the fuse out for TC/ABS to have fun. then when i had the money i changed the ABS/TC ECU. not a nice job AT ALL!!!
hth

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2007, 20:09:08 »

LSD  ??

luv_my_mv6

• Northwood (London)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2007, 20:11:23 »

Does the MV6 have an LSD? Could explain it if it has I suppose?

STMO123

« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2007, 20:12:17 »

LSD  ??

No thanks Broocie, I gave that up a while back. To be honest, I'm a little surprised at you :P

mv6copcar

• Intermediate Member
  • Essex, Halstead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2007, 20:16:57 »

yes-my omega has a LSD. enables me to do fantastic powerslids. would make a real good drift car if tuned right!

dont for get the omega's TC is soooo very basic. it senses a wheel spinning and just shuts the engine down for a milisec. none of the diverting power to the other wheels like real TC. but does the job

luv_my_mv6

• Northwood (London)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2007, 20:20:48 »

hmm suppose on the plus side then, my tyres will last a bit longer, need a bigger carpark to attempt a powerslide though so cant comment on one of them yet  ;D

luv_my_mv6

• Northwood (London)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2007, 20:32:14 »

hmmm, i had the same deal with my ex plod car. had to take the fuse out for TC/ABS to have fun. then when i had the money i changed the ABS/TC ECU. not a nice job AT ALL!!!
hth

Ok.... just off out for a quick blast (minus the TC/ABS fuse and see what happens.... suppose it will answer alot really  :y cheers mv6copcar

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2007, 20:35:45 »

General police spec is switchable TC as well as a limited slip diff on their MV6 as supplied by VX.

The jury is still out as to whether a general public MV6 had an LSD as standard.  Apparently there is supposed to be a code letter stamped on the diff housing to signify if/if not fitted but Marks _DTM has been unable to confirm thus far.

HtH

B

sassanach

• Omega Knight
  • trowbridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 June 2007, 20:41:36 »

i fitted a lsd  to my 3 litre elite auto, vastly improved take off in the wet

luv_my_mv6

• Northwood (London)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 June 2007, 20:52:21 »

Taking fuse out didnt make any noticable difference, other than no ABS so I guess I must have an LSD...... if anyone wants me to look for a code stammped, let me know where to look (in idiot format please  ;D) and i'll have a good look and let you know, if it would be any help for future that is?
 Why have the cops always got to remove or break the best bits of their cars?  :-/

Thanks everyone.... top stuff as usuall  :y

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 June 2007, 21:35:07 »

Dredged this info up from a dusty stoory post in a place I dont visit very often now.  Some of the very clever peeps on here who get crud under their fingernails more often than I do these days say that they have still to prove the following, however......

"To determine if you have a LSD you need to look at the identification plate fixed to the underside of the final drive unit.  The second character on the second line will either be a '0' or an 'S'. 'S' means LSD, '0' means no LSD."

Also alleged that the only non-police spec MV6 that had an LSD was the manual version, not an auto.....

HtH   :y

B
« Last Edit: 24 June 2007, 21:35:29 by hotel21 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 June 2007, 21:41:10 »

OK, lets sort this TC 'dangle berries' once and for all.

Firstly, its TC not ESP/ESC or manufacturers own gay names for Stability Control.

On 4 channel ABS units (98 onwards), it will very shortly after wheelspin apply the brake to the spinning wheel. If the driver just keeps the throttle buried, then it will tell the engine to reduce power.

On 3 channel ABS (pre 98), it will just tell engine to reduce power.

Now, just imagine for a moment that you wasn't showing off, or had no ability to drive, if you were driving a car without TC, at the first hint of wheelspin, you would feather the throttle to try to maintain traction. You should do exactly the same on a TC car - the electronics are there to stop you being a complete idiot, and driving like one will just keep cutting power until the car can maintain traction.

This is the same for any car with TC, and remember, many other cars use the same Bosch system.  Similar applies to ESP cars, though that deals with all 4 wheels and can help lost grip in corners (although, once again, you would be a idiot to rely on it, as you are already beyond what the chassis can handle).

Additionally, as my car designer brother once told me (when discussing ESP on some Focus's), ESP is fitted to hide defficiencies in the chassis.

(Obviously, track/race/drift/show etc cars are a different kettle of fish, and hopefully driven by skilled drivers)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 June 2007, 21:42:20 »

Dredged this info up from a dusty stoory post in a place I dont visit very often now.  Some of the very clever peeps on here who get crud under their fingernails more often than I do these days say that they have still to prove the following, however......

"To determine if you have a LSD you need to look at the identification plate fixed to the underside of the final drive unit.  The second character on the second line will either be a '0' or an 'S'. 'S' means LSD, '0' means no LSD."

Also alleged that the only non-police spec MV6 that had an LSD was the manual version, not an auto.....

HtH   :y

B
Likely the plate will be missing. I believe it was only cop cars that had them, don't think retail ones did, but Marks_DTM will correct me if wrong...
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.