Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Simple one for you - maybe??  (Read 3520 times)

Tafty

• Liverpool
  • This week I am no longer the owner of a miggy!! :(
    • View Profile
Simple one for you - maybe??
« on: 28 June 2007, 21:44:40 »

Completed the bearing changeout today on my F/N/S wheel and had a nearly life changing event whilst doing it.

The blummin axle stand I was using (with the tyre and bearing off and just the shaft visible) pinged under the weight of the car and did this to the Axle stand (I only purchased them 2 weeks ago!!!!) ....

to say I nearly followed through was an understatement as I was lying length ways to the car.  Luckily had the foresight to have the jack still in place and the tyre underneath the sill - safety conscious - now I know the reasons why :y

Anyhow  to the question.... during this bearing escapade I managed to snap the bleed nipple off the caliper when I had finished with putting it back together.  I will be able to extract the threaded part from the caliper - but have to wait 4 days for VX to get one in  >:( - have manged to dig one out from the spares I have in the shed from my old P reg Vectra spares I still have. So before I remove it and possibly render my car useless for 4 days for an Omega spare from the stealers - is it likely to be identical threads/length etc or are they different per model?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Simple one for you - maybe??
« Reply #1 on: 28 June 2007, 21:48:56 »

I soiled my pants just reading it  :o

I would imagine the threads are the same, but do not know. Sorry.
Grumpy old man

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #2 on: 28 June 2007, 21:52:41 »

two weeks old - id be wrapping them round the neck of the seller.... >:(
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Tafty

• Liverpool
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2007, 21:55:09 »

two weeks old - id be wrapping them round the neck of the seller.... >:(

Am going to tomorrow  >:(  Though thinking twice about getting anything for the car from Argos again :-[

Here's me thinking I was being sensible with the cash flow :(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2007, 21:57:07 »

:o

That is NOT what you want ot happen to an axle stand! I would be writing a strongly worded letter with pictures enclosed to the supplier and manufacturer and possibly informing trading standards. Just glad you're OK. Best get yourself a stiff drink, I reckon!

Are you talking about just changing the bleed nipple from the veccy caliper or the whole caliper?

If it's just the bleed nipple they are bound to be the same.

No idea regarding the whole caliper though.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2007, 21:59:55 »

That's handy! Just noticed they put their address on the stand so you know where to send the snottogram.

If I ever feel the need for more axle stands I know what NOT to buy!

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2007, 22:00:20 »

OMG  :o that is terrible I would be having words and be geting some compensation for a new pair of underpants

Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

Tafty

• Liverpool
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 June 2007, 22:01:55 »

:o

That is NOT what you want ot happen to an axle stand! I would be writing a strongly worded letter with pictures enclosed to the supplier and manufacturer and possibly informing trading standards. Just glad you're OK. Best get yourself a stiff drink, I reckon!

Are you talking about just changing the bleed nipple from the veccy caliper or the whole caliper?

If it's just the bleed nipple they are bound to be the same.

No idea regarding the whole caliper though.

Kevin

Will be dealing with them tomorrow regarding the stand - just goes to show that you can't trust new gear is going to safe and that the extra precautions are always beneficial. I was using that stand on Tuesday to prop the car up whilst I adjusted the handbrake too!!!!!

I just want to swap the bleed nipple over from the Vectra caliper to the Omega - doesn't make economical sense to have different designs of bleed nipple across the car range - so think you maybe right :y

Anyhow -

Tafty

• Liverpool
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 June 2007, 22:04:45 »

That's handy! Just noticed they put their address on the stand so you know where to send the snottogram.

If I ever feel the need for more axle stands I know what NOT to buy!

Kevin

The main reason for posting the pic to be honest as a warning for others on here - they seem reasonably priced and do the job I suppose (that's if they don't break whilst being used :o) but will be investing in a more substantial setup before going back under the car!!!
« Last Edit: 28 June 2007, 22:08:43 by Tafty »

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 June 2007, 22:13:54 »

That was a lucky escape mate.  Having seen that, solid welded joints are the thing to look out for in future,.
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 June 2007, 22:19:57 »

Completed the bearing changeout today on my F/N/S wheel and had a nearly life changing event whilst doing it.

The blummin axle stand I was using (with the tyre and bearing off and just the shaft visible) pinged under the weight of the car and did this to the Axle stand (I only purchased them 2 weeks ago!!!!) ....

to say I nearly followed through was an understatement as I was lying length ways to the car.  Luckily had the foresight to have the jack still in place and the tyre underneath the sill - safety conscious - now I know the reasons why :y

Anyhow  to the question.... during this bearing escapade I managed to snap the bleed nipple off the caliper when I had finished with putting it back together.  I will be able to extract the threaded part from the caliper - but have to wait 4 days for VX to get one in  >:( - have manged to dig one out from the spares I have in the shed from my old P reg Vectra spares I still have. So before I remove it and possibly render my car useless for 4 days for an Omega spare from the stealers - is it likely to be identical threads/length etc or are they different per model?

I notice the address is on the stand,  send them a copy with your constructive complaint....  this maybe a cause for a recall... they may even thank you....  I would if I was Mr Hilka....

DC ;)
Do it right, do it once................

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 June 2007, 22:29:49 »

so dont buy axel stands imported from Surrey!

Tafty

• Liverpool
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 June 2007, 22:32:05 »

I notice the address is on the stand,  send them a copy with your constructive complaint....  this maybe a cause for a recall... they may even thank you....  I would if I was Mr Hilka....

DC ;)

Here's my list of companies that my really polite snotty letter is going to: Argos HQ; Hilka Imports (as per label); trading standards and the RAC since they endorse these stands as theirs >:( Should be interesting what type of response I get. Will keep you all posted on any updates. Cheers for the support chaps  :y

Tafty

• Liverpool
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 June 2007, 22:33:31 »

so dont buy axel stands imported from Surrey!

never a truer word said  ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 June 2007, 22:44:10 »

Its my biggest fear when working with cars, having the stands go.

Looking at those stands, it seams to be a kak design, why work on hinges?? - Take them back and give them what for!

Touch wood, the 2 tonne stands from machine mart have been good.
« Last Edit: 28 June 2007, 22:45:19 by tunnie »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.