Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I have been mostly sorting thru a bungalow.  (Read 851 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Today I have been mostly sorting thru a bungalow.
« on: 22 October 2015, 23:45:57 »

The uncle in law died earlier this month when he got outside and couldn't get back in. We now know about wander alarms. Pity no health service professional or career advised us.

Anyway he was 94 and was a Normandy vet who led a very charmed life.

Lived alone in this bungalow since 1963. Place is like a time capsule. Garden shed was so overgrown and subsided it took a long time to get in. Then I had to find a key.  Remember the craze for fastening a jam jar lid under a shelf and then filling it with screws etc? There must be 200 or more keys we have gathered up.

Going to do a car boot on Sunday of loads of stuff. His collection of real pistols including WW2 Lugers "went" a few years ago. There is a mint gas mask,mending thread, unused tubes of ointment in case you got exposed to gas, a bayonet and a small quantity of live rounds. Shan,t be selling any of those of course. Might come in useful.

Charity shop came today to take the furniture .Got excited until they spotted all got woodworm.

Sure does take a long time to sort stuff like funeral etc.  Found his bar but not his medals. Hidden or pinched.? In his deed box there was a letter. I have put £3000 for my funeral on page 24 of a book. Not there now? Was it ever? Who knows!
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Today I have been mostly sorting thru a bungalow.
« Reply #1 on: 22 October 2015, 23:51:33 »

It's a difficult thing to do, sorting through someones possessions after they've died and you have my sympathies Varche.  :(
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 October 2015, 00:10:58 »

It has it's ups and downs but the main reason for posting was just the sheer time you spend sorting stuff. We could just have paid someone £100 to empty the place but we have found old photos none of us have seen and some stuff that will go to the regiment.

I am just looking at some 1922 reichsmark bank notes. E.g. Five million marks note. From the time of mega inflation . At one stage workers got paid more per hour as the day progressed.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 October 2015, 08:07:01 »

Quite a lot of wartime stuff is worth good money, probably not want you want to hear at this time, but you need to be ruthless, when clearing a dead relatives house.
Hoof'land storeman.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.