Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3066592 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #20970 on: 01 October 2020, 16:50:58 »

I think AI have just found the problem. Backplate is different to the old one.  :-[ ::)
Have swapped the pulleys over to the old one, and will start again now.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20971 on: 01 October 2020, 16:58:50 »

Lower n/s pulley isnt adjustable on later versions. ......

DVD shows fitting the belt clockwise, and Im pretty sure thats how I did it to this car last time.  :-\

The engine shown in the DVD has two adjustable idlers, so they have a means of creating slack between the locked crank and cam 4. You don't have that luxury with one adjustable idler so if you follow the anti-clockwise instructions, when you have returned the crank to its locking position, the tension alone will hold the belt in place between cam 4 and the crank. You then only have to adjust cam 2 and 1. If you do it this way it will become apparent why the top idler lands around the 7 o'clock/8 o'clock position. If you go clockwise you will end up with slack between cam 4 and the crank once rotated.  :y

Edit:
Just seen the backplate update but if you do as suggested on here you won't go far wrong. As I had a 3.2 I used the DVD as a guide on what to remove and the set-up but had to ignore it when it came to fitting the belt, as I had to go anti-clockwise.
Good luck.  :y

My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20972 on: 01 October 2020, 17:25:31 »

Ok got the belt back on and was just about to query the arrow on the upper idler now being at 8 o,clock rather than 12 as shown in the DVD.
I think you may have answered that.Will now take TB,s advice,move the arrow round a max. of 6 hours, and see how it goes from there.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20973 on: 01 October 2020, 17:42:48 »

If the belt has got loose at any point, then starting from scratch is the way to do it. It means you can methodically do each stage, and know you're starting from the correct place. :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20974 on: 01 October 2020, 17:49:15 »

Ok got the belt back on and was just about to query the arrow on the upper idler now being at 8 o,clock rather than 12 as shown in the DVD.
I think you may have answered that.Will now take TB,s advice,move the arrow round a max. of 6 hours, and see how it goes from there.
Are 100% certain that the backing plate is the same? Casting number needs to be exactly the same.

The "6 hours" is the scope of adjustment, not a target ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20975 on: 01 October 2020, 17:54:11 »

Took it for a varied test drive on main roads and tiny lanes (it actually looks like I've been rallying in it), and no sign yet of a Restricted Performance warning.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20976 on: 01 October 2020, 18:48:10 »

Are 100% certain that the backing plate is the same? Casting number needs to be exactly the same.

The "6 hours" is the scope of adjustment, not a target ;)

Backing plate on the new kit was different to the old one, hence my problems. I swapped the idler & tensioner from the new one onto the old one and started again. Belt is back on now everything lined up, and locking kit still in place on cams / crank.
Left it at that for the moment as my back feels knackered and light was starting to go.
Weather girl said its going to rain for days on end from tonight, so dont know when I will be able to get it finished.
Not overly worried as I dont need to use it. As long as Keith B isnt in a desperate hurry for his locking kit back.

Thanks, that confirms what I thought.
   :y
« Last Edit: 01 October 2020, 18:50:30 by Migv6 le Frog Fan »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20977 on: 01 October 2020, 19:13:18 »

Sometimes taking a step back is all that's needed ;) The last two I did were a bit of a struggle, albeit for different reasons and nothing a cuppa and a head scratch couldn't solve :D

Sounds like you're winning with it now though :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20978 on: 01 October 2020, 19:47:12 »

I think so. Only fly in the ointment might be when the cams spun round, due to belt not being tensioned correctly, if they whacked the top of the pistons and did some damage.
I would guess probably not, but wont be happy until it fires up and runs sweetly.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20979 on: 01 October 2020, 21:28:51 »

No harm no foul ;)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20980 on: 02 October 2020, 07:37:40 »

Took it for a varied test drive on main roads and tiny lanes (it actually looks like I've been rallying in it), and no sign yet of a Restricted Performance warning.

Easy and cheap fix then  :y

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20981 on: 02 October 2020, 12:53:11 »

I quite often get the 'Restricted Performance' warning, but it has nothing to do with error codes, and more to do with Mrs YZ being sat next to me.  ::)   :)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20982 on: 02 October 2020, 13:39:01 »

I quite often get the 'Restricted Performance' warning, but it has nothing to do with error codes, and more to do with Mrs YZ being sat next to me.  ::)   :)
Mrs TB knows the speed into corners is inversely proportional to the level of her grumbling about it ;D

I suspect that swhy she has a bee in her bonnet over the lack of a grab handle for the front seat passenger in the XJ
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20983 on: 02 October 2020, 13:41:47 »

Indeed, though I am tempted to buy a new* one, because of my doubts over sealants and chemical metal ;D

Made it to the chippy and back last night as well, although thats probably a 2 mile run, if that.

*New or "new to the car" is undecided. Possibly latter if its just something to stay on the shelf on the offchance the Sikaflex lets go.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20984 on: 03 October 2020, 10:14:50 »

The £6.99 fix is still holding, and survived another short trip :).

So I'm pretty confident that was the issue, esp given the visible movement that was visible in that video I showed you, and the fact it mostly separated on removal.

With all the chemical metal applied round it to give a bit of mechanical strength, its not pretty.  I suppose a bit of black paint would improve that a bit, or might even be covered by the engine cover when I pop that back on.
Grumpy old man

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.