Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

Loosing Coolant

(1/3) > >>

HI2DVY:
Took my meega to the stealers a few weeks back to have a service done - couldn't find the time to do it myself.
80,000 miles so cambelt, tensioners and water pump replaced. Cost - £540 (discounted!) :'(.

Since then I notice that I am loosing coolant - about a pint per week (I do about 500-600 miles per week). I've looked all over but can't find where it's going but doesn't seem to be getting into the oil so I guess it may be the pump itself - which I can't see without taking the front end to bits.

First question... I have just been topping up the header tank with tap water and suspect that this can't be healthy long term. I hear a lot of talk about different coolants and additives. Any views on what is the best coolant to use here?

Second question... the car heater/climate control doesnt seem to be heating the car as well as it used to (or maybe just cause it's much colder than it was). Do you think the loss of coolant and the lack of heating may be related? Maybe an air lock?

Any help or suggestions would be very welcome.

Cheers

Dave

Admin:
Take a look at the back of the engine. I suspect the heater bypass valve has failed. This would explain both the loss of coolant and the poor heating.

The heater bypass sits at the back slightly to the left. It has coolant pipes and a vacuum pipe connected to it. Not a difficult job to do, just fiddly. Cost of new valve is around £30, or £230 fitted by your dealer!

The anti freeze most of us use is Vx long life stuff. Around £8 for 5litres (and you will need all of it to get a proper mix.

Oh and £540!!  :o

TheBoy:
Did the scumbags change the waterpump?

As LB66 says, HBV is likely, esp with heating problem.

Marks DTM Calib:
I would let it heat up well with the header tank cap removed and keep topping it up to remove airlocks, you need the heaters on FULL whilst doing this.

This will rule out the airlock possability......if after this it still leaks, then check the heater bypass valve etc.....

Note 50:50 antifreeze mix required..... (idealy red antifreeze if thats what has been used to refill the system)

Andy B:

--- Quote --- ................
 or £230 fitted by your dealer!.........
--- End quote ---
You're kidding!!!  :-? ...... aren't you??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version