Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: So what have you done today during lockdown?  (Read 70591 times)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done today during lockdown?
« Reply #195 on: 30 April 2020, 19:56:55 »

Went to use the petrol strimmer, it fired in to life after priming and then died immediately. Classic symptoms after sitting idle over winter so, whipped the carb off, seperated the main parts, flexed the fuel gasket/diaphragm in and out to loosen it up a bit, reassembled it and it's running like a good'un again.  :y
The gasket/diaphragm just resonates to keep the fuel flowing and when they go stiff they stop resonating.
Makes me wonder how many of these petrol tools are discarded because of this. A carb rebuild kit costs less than a fiver anyway and takes about ten minutes to do.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: 30 April 2020, 20:05:42 »

Attended second funeral of the year,first one in January was an older brother,this one-graveside ceremony only-was another older brother :'( both broke the rules and died of cancer not the virus.
Sorry for your Loss
at least they are at piece now ,Cancer can be a terrible illness 

STEMO

« Reply #197 on: 30 April 2020, 21:50:41 »

Went to use the petrol strimmer, it fired in to life after priming and then died immediately. Classic symptoms after sitting idle over winter so, whipped the carb off, seperated the main parts, flexed the fuel gasket/diaphragm in and out to loosen it up a bit, reassembled it and it's running like a good'un again.  :y
The gasket/diaphragm just resonates to keep the fuel flowing and when they go stiff they stop resonating.
Makes me wonder how many of these petrol tools are discarded because of this. A carb rebuild kit costs less than a fiver anyway and takes about ten minutes to do.
You need to go electric. It's more reliable, quieter, cheaper to run and will save the planet. You never know, it may make you realise how good electric vehicles are.  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: 30 April 2020, 21:52:18 »

How's the electric Astra?  ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

mars

• Omega Baron
  • Cannock, Staffordshire
    • Vivaro Sportive BMW 330d
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: 30 April 2020, 21:57:50 »

My wife and I go for a walk every day and pick up odd bits of shopping. We don't do massive distances but do somewhere between 2.5 and 3.5 miles daily. There are steep hills to go up and down to reach the shops so we have noticed that our fitness levels have improved, so when we return to work we will have lost weight and got fitter.
There is no such thing as bad beer, some beers are better than others.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: 30 April 2020, 22:00:26 »

You need to go electric. It's more reliable, quieter, cheaper to run and will save the planet. You never know, it may make you realise how good electric vehicles are.  ::)

The place I needed it is three miles away so my extension lead won't reach.  ;D  Small holdings tend not to have electricity either and cordless eventually end up shite.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

STEMO

« Reply #201 on: 30 April 2020, 22:05:35 »

The place I needed it is three miles away so my extension lead won't reach.  ;D  Small holdings tend not to have electricity either and cordless eventually end up shite.  :y
Agree on cordless. I tried a battery hedge trimmer once, it just nibbled at the end of the leaves in the hedge.  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 30 April 2020, 22:29:29 »

I think the gizmo is called thermocouple.

Ta .... I was having a senior moment!  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 30 April 2020, 22:33:11 »

Sorted the gas fire. The igniter was striking but there was next to no gas coming out to light. Decided to take bits off to check for a blockage .... the pilot light nozzle has the SMALLEST hole in it .... smaller than a wire off a stainless wire brush but managed to poke a tiny nylon 'wire' through it & obviously managed to clear some sh1te out ... blew out with air line. Re-assembled & there is now a flame big enough for the flame detection gizmo to 'see' .... Sorted!  :y :y :y

If you have to do this again .. try this ... (works on several carbs I still play with) ... take a piece of standard 13 amp cable, strip it back and use SINGLE strand of one of the inner wires ... no idea what the size is .. but its small, its bendable to reach awkward places, and its stiff enough to move small crud. .....  works a dream on the lawnmower carb !!

I did actually try with a strand of copper wire but it was too big but I confess I didn't look too hard for a smaller wire. The nylon was knocking about in the crap on my work bench and then blown through with my compressor  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 30 April 2020, 22:36:01 »

Sorted the gas fire. The igniter was striking but there was next to no gas coming out to light. Decided to take bits off to check for a blockage .... the pilot light nozzle has the SMALLEST hole in it .... smaller than a wire off a stainless wire brush but managed to poke a tiny nylon 'wire' through it & obviously managed to clear some sh1te out ... blew out with air line. Re-assembled & there is now a flame big enough for the flame detection gizmo to 'see' .... Sorted!  :y :y :y

If you have to do this again .. try this ... (works on several carbs I still play with) ... take a piece of standard 13 amp cable, strip it back and use SINGLE strand of one of the inner wires ... no idea what the size is .. but its small, its bendable to reach awkward places, and its stiff enough to move small crud. .....  works a dream on the lawnmower carb !!

Yep, that's what I use, de stranded wire. I do have the proper tool for gas jets but as it's essentially a bit of fuse wire crimped to the end of a bit of metal the de stranded wire is just as good.  :y
As Nigel said, also very handy for poking through small jets on strimmer/chainsaw/mower carbs.  :y

I have a kit for poking through glue nozzles at work .... I forget now how small each wire is, but they're small  :y

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 01 May 2020, 07:24:01 »

Christ, the mad Stokie has returned !

I saw that, hello DLK :y

Hello there  :-*

What are you up to these days?,still on the tools ?

Have the odd play  ;D
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

STEMO

« Reply #206 on: 01 May 2020, 10:58:15 »

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: 01 May 2020, 13:23:05 »

Went for our usual walk with the dog usually do between 4&5 miles, hardly anyone else about  decided to get all my weight training gear set up in the spare bedroom, usually use the gym at work & missing it greatly  be good to throw a few weights about..
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: 01 May 2020, 16:04:24 »

Went for our usual walk with the dog usually do between 4&5 miles, hardly anyone else about  decided to get all my weight training gear set up in the spare bedroom, usually use the gym at work & missing it greatly  be good to throw a few weights about..
Wouldn't dare use weights in my bedrooms, as we have those shitty 8x4 foot chipboard sheets as floor boards. >:(
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.