Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Holden  (Read 4610 times)

05omegav6

Re: Holden
« Reply #15 on: 12 February 2016, 22:11:05 »

:y

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 February 2016, 16:07:49 »

I could agree and should agree, but this thing is a bit of a handful for normal driving as it struggles to find grip  even with the lightest of input.I guess I'm going through a learning curve and I'm not at ease with it as of yet : :o:)because it's about remembering that this thing is pushing out 580+ HP as it's been remapped on top of all the other mods.So I'm tiptoeing around with it at the moment as I don't fancy a trip into the weeds or worse : :o:)Giving it a few more shake down runs (ABS Essex on Sunday) can help to make me a bit more comfortable about taming the beast :)

Interesting, obviously the torque making it feel a bit lairy.  :)  By comparison, my daily commute is in a car with similar performance figures but it is really nice to drive. Can be an animal when pressed but a pussy cat when dawdling along, but still really easy to drive at all speeds. It has nowhere near the numbers of the VXR8, with a measly 640Nm of torque and a piddling 313bhp in standard form, but it does move it from 0-60mph in a smidge over four seconds and hits the limiter at the agreed 155mph in the blink of an eye. Mid range torque is monstrous, although a tad less montrous than the VXR8, but still very quick.
The penalty for this performance is an abysmal 48mpg average consumption  ::) and having to wear silly gloves when you fill up, as yes, it's a diesel.  :)

Just me making an observation really, as the Holden's/VXR8's are lovely looking beasts, whereas mine is just run of the mill that you see every day out and about.  :)
Apologies to the OP for going off topic.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

ted_one

« Reply #17 on: 15 February 2016, 16:32:53 »

VXR8 yesterday... average speed 62mph at 18.2 miles to the gallon OUCH!! :o used half a tank to go to the ABS Essex meet,I guess around 9 gallons,car's going to be spending a lot of 'parked time'. Drove the 3.2 this morning...such a lovely, quiet,smooth,comfortable place to be,by comparison  8))Just can't stop loving those old Omegas :-* :-* :y
« Last Edit: 15 February 2016, 16:34:33 by nitro »

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 February 2016, 12:28:49 »

I could agree and should agree, but this thing is a bit of a handful for normal driving as it struggles to find grip  even with the lightest of input.I guess I'm going through a learning curve and I'm not at ease with it as of yet : :o:)because it's about remembering that this thing is pushing out 580+ HP as it's been remapped on top of all the other mods.So I'm tiptoeing around with it at the moment as I don't fancy a trip into the weeds or worse : :o:)Giving it a few more shake down runs (ABS Essex on Sunday) can help to make me a bit more comfortable about taming the beast :)

Interesting, obviously the torque making it feel a bit lairy.  :)  By comparison, my daily commute is in a car with similar performance figures but it is really nice to drive. Can be an animal when pressed but a pussy cat when dawdling along, but still really easy to drive at all speeds. It has nowhere near the numbers of the VXR8, with a measly 640Nm of torque and a piddling 313bhp in standard form, but it does move it from 0-60mph in a smidge over four seconds and hits the limiter at the agreed 155mph in the blink of an eye. Mid range torque is monstrous, although a tad less montrous than the VXR8, but still very quick.
The penalty for this performance is an abysmal 48mpg average consumption  ::) and having to wear silly gloves when you fill up, as yes, it's a diesel:)

Just me making an observation really, as the Holden's/VXR8's are lovely looking beasts, whereas mine is just run of the mill that you see every day out and about.  :)

Nowt wrong with that,I love diesel torque :y :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 February 2016, 15:54:29 »

I could agree and should agree, but this thing is a bit of a handful for normal driving..

Not unusual for a forced induction car that has been remapped in the aftermarket. Often, tuners are chasing maximum "pub figure" and "shock and awe" driving characteristics where the boost all comes in with a bang and the car "feels" fast.

If you concentrate instead on achieving a smooth transition into full boost by mapping the boost pressure carefully, you can make a car much more drivable even with silly levels of power output. This was demonstrated by a mate with a 400 BHP turbocharged Westfield some years back. That didn't feel fast at all, but by god it was!

Unfortunately, it takes a bit more time (and hence money) on the rollers than simply turning everything up to eleven.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 February 2016, 18:35:50 »

The penalty for this performance is an abysmal 48mpg average consumption  ::) and having to wear silly gloves when you fill up, as yes, it's a diesel:)

Nowt wrong with that,I love diesel torque :y :y

So do I.  :y  My post was a polite way of saying that I can hit those performance figures and still achieve a very respectable mpg.... in a standard diesel. :y

05omegav6

« Reply #21 on: 16 February 2016, 18:40:48 »

Yes, but your car isn't bright green ;D

ted_one

« Reply #22 on: 17 February 2016, 11:14:54 »

Car is now in storage UFN!! ::) Sticking with the Omegas, much more in keeping for a gentleman of my standing ;)
« Last Edit: 17 February 2016, 11:25:01 by nitro »

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 February 2016, 11:32:06 »

Car is now in storage UFN!! ::) Sticking with the Omegas, much more in keeping for a gentleman of my standing ;)

It's a lovely looking motor Ken and I hope you are happy with it.  :y Hopefully it's just a culture shock that you'll come to terms with.  :y

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 February 2016, 13:07:06 »

It would be a bit of a shock having all that power in an instant for anyone who wasnt use to it  :-\ Maybe just needs a long long drive round some twisty roads to get a better feel for it  :y
Omegatitis

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 February 2016, 13:09:58 »

It would be a bit of a shock having all that power in an instant for anyone who wasnt use to it  :-\ Maybe just needs a long long drive round some twisty roads to get a better feel for it :y

<sticks hand up!>

Oh, you meant with ken driving? ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 February 2016, 13:20:52 »

It would be a bit of a shock having all that power in an instant for anyone who wasnt use to it  :-\ Maybe just needs a long long drive round some twisty roads to get a better feel for it :y

<sticks hand up!>

Oh, you meant with ken driving? ::)

Slowly    :D ;D
Omegatitis

ted_one

« Reply #27 on: 17 February 2016, 14:50:44 »

It's not a practical car for every day driving...it's too mad!! have arranged for it to go into storage down in Hampshire,where it will be kept in a controlled environment, as it's sort of in the way at the moment,and there's no real point having here as it is going to piss off our near neighbours as you have to give it a bit of time to run after start up as it's really loud and it's just better to drive once the choke comes off.Looks like a move may well be on the cards to grab somewhere to store the cars under cover...... Lincolnshire is a strong contender the moment :-\

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 February 2016, 18:27:39 »

Nice place Lincolnshire. Some lovely roads up there and property prices are good

Keith ABS

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 February 2016, 12:56:10 »

Yup. They've gone silly on the speeding stuff, which was mainly because there wwas a disproportionately high accident rate. Mainly because you have national speed limit, dead straight road... then hairpin bend...dead straight road to go around the fields. Inattentiveness + speed = bent chevron sign  ::)

However, on the nice bits it's stunning and a lovely drive, only problem is the view's so damn nice out the side window!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.