Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I am Good  (Read 1235 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
I am Good
« on: 27 November 2023, 14:53:29 »

So

I decided to upgrade to a new PC ::)  (Simply because there are new parts kicking about) ::)

Spent a couple of weeks doing home work and checking specs.

Worked out a budget (Then ignored it)

The critia I set for the Motherboard was the problem.   of my 4 main points I required  90% of them ticked 3 out of the 4 boxes., the ones that ticked all the boxes were either E-ATX or tooooo exspensive.

So a while back I bought a new Asus case -
FU1 - Then realised I wanted 2 x 5.25 bays for my existing optical drives. :-[
Now have a eye on a different one (Still considering)

FU2 - Should have read the forums 1st

Then read up on the heat issues.
Allways been happy with air coolers (Hyper 212) Google sugested a better one so bought that.
Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Air Cooler
Amazon staff/customer had allready helped them selves to the fitting kit and dual fans before delivery.
Ordered an AIO 360 - That apparently turned up a day early - I have a pic of it but not the actual item (Seems a lot of items were nicked that day arround the delivery route.)

After an hour on the phone to ACS (Amazon Customer Services) they refunded me for the AIO. (Cant fault them on that)

So at this point, I have the wrong case, The wrong cooler (Hyper 212) No RAM/Mobo/CPU/M2 drives (Well 1 or 2 GEN 3) :-\

I have a 6GB 1060 & 12GB 3060 plus an Intel 16GB from previous issues, Because I bought the A770 I got myself a new PSU as there were not enough power cables for the new GPU. (WRONG - when I stripped and cleaned the PC they were under the back plate where I had stored them :-[)

So rather than screw up again (As I am getting so good at it) I went and orded the new Motherboard.  Leaving the RAM/CPU & NVME choices till later. (They are in the basket ready tp be paid for)

FU3 - After reading loads of manuals and compairing specs -  I ORDERED THE WRONG F-E-C-K-ING MOTHERBOARD.

Sorted the board issue, they are sending the higher spec one and trying to retract the 1st delivery (Have paid for both - will be refunded for the 1st one & ended up with free DPD express delivery)

Wonder if the delivery will screw up tomorrow.

The rest of the items will be ordered and hopefull turnup before the snow arrives (Dont want the the driver slipping in the snow and hurting him/her self)

The Saga continues - Tune into episode 2 next week. ::)
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: I am Good
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2023, 15:26:11 »

Hence the recommendation to go to Dell/HP/Lenovo/whoever and just buy one.  Life is far too short.

I have zero idea what the spec of my current cast-off is.  Like any PC built in the era of NVMe, its plenty fast enough.  Not even sure I know (or care) what make mobo it has.  I know it won't be ASUS or Acer, as they are my main 2 stay-away-from brands.  I think its AMD, but could be Intel. Again, does it matter (AMD reliability and heat issues aside)?

Unless you need pub bragging rights, or doing something very, very specific*, buy what's available and cheap, its good enough.  At least nowadays, you'll be unlucky to hit hardware compatibility issues like we did back in the late 80s and early 90s :).

My specific is video editing, and the software I use kills most PCs when doing the final render.  That's why I have a £500 Mac Mini as well. With a myriad of NVMe's plugged into it, as I wasn't paying Apple prices for extra storage!
Grumpy old man

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2023, 16:00:58 »

I have used most brands for builds.  Recently I have used Gigabyte Mother Boards. Asus GPU  I seem to be happy with G-Skill RAM.

I have never taken to brand names, even though I have had several Dell Optiplex/Inspiron etc

I can never settle with laptops. I have a Sony and a Dell 17"lappy, The Sony I love but both are heavy.

Even had a go at overclocking with the old Celeron 300A in its days.I remember Asrock coming to the market and several other brands since, but I tend to stick to what I know, and if I buy a prebuilt I learn nothing.

This will be the 1st water cooled PC I have, but am going to play with an old system to build a water loop and see what I can overclock ::)

I still have some old systems inc a FX8950 (9850 cant remember) Black Edition CPU build,  and used for a week, but that will make a nice base for something.

I just enjoy doodling, plus have made a few quid out of it when when having fixed friends PC problems and there word of mouth has brought people to me for problem solving and builds.

My simple problem is I am getting old and forgetfull and my ability to do intricate things aint as easy as it used to be. :-\

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2023, 18:14:52 »

When building for others, I used to almost exclusively use Intel motherboards, due to superb reliability.  Tied to Intel CPUs, obviously, but that was of no consequence as the AMD chips of that era were pointless.  These machines never came back due to hardware, only virus and malware. Never had to run burn in either.

Lot to be said for "just works", probably why my usual laptop is a MacBook Pro  ;D

Shame Intel pulled out of consumer motherboards.

I sold stuff with most mobo brands. Hardware faults are bad for reputation, piss off clients, and have the potential to damage repeat customers.  Plus extra hassle for me as well, both replacing the parts, and then arranging returns with wholesalers.

Back in the IDE/floppy days, I used to make my own cables, despite most mobo's coming with them. This allowed for perfect length, and positioned to improve thermals.  When sata came along, I had to buy a shed load of data cables of all lengths between 15cm up to 40cm, both straight and high angled.  SATA cables weren't cheap them so it was a lot of cash tied up, but it makes a world of difference doing it right, rather than tucking them out of the way...   ...or worse.

99.9% of "professionally" built unbranded PCs that have passed over my workbench are so poorly built I would have personally returned for a refund.  Clearly built without using ESP, and no idea about thermal requirements.  Resulting in noisy, unreliable shite.
Grumpy old man

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2023, 21:31:25 »

I know what you mean with cables.

I only use modular PSU and take off the cables not required, I have them all over the place. So now I keep the mobo box and put all the spares in it.

I have 40/80pin IDE all over and selection of the round ones, Bags of SATA in various lentghs and colours.

I am currently boxing up all my spares into organised boxes and everying was so random before I could never find it when required.

Found a couple of brand new P1 boards the other week and when I find them I have a of 233MMX CPU some where, Plus a couple or so of Voodoo2 cards.  So as the market for vintage/collectors PC units and parts is going barmy I might still make a profit on the bits. ::)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2023, 21:36:24 »

Just a thought, any one know of a site that can help be idenfy RAM by the writeing on the chips, I did know at one point how to work it out but losing the plot now I just give in and unless the right question is typed into Goole then its feeds back all the wrong replies.

I have a tray of brand new ram, but thing the srticks are only 256Mb each, plus loads more.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 November 2023, 00:31:44 »

Years ago, well many years, such things would have concerned me. But not now.

During the Covid lockdown I decided that I wanted a new PC, I just went to HP and bought one at the price I was happy to pay. You can drive yourelf nuts fretting over exact specs. It's the same with cameras and HiFi kit. Whatever you buy,  it will all be out of date in 6 months anyway  ::)
Does it do what I require ? = Yes
Job done
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.