Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: lap tops  (Read 1966 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
lap tops
« on: 25 August 2007, 13:53:54 »

Does anyone have any recomendations for an inexpensive lap top for my daughter to take away to 'uni' at the end of next month?

Baron Von Spongebob

• Omega Baron
  • South Wales
  • Living the dream
    • View Profile
Re: lap tops
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2007, 14:08:28 »

Tesco has some good deals at the moment from £299 but the £370 one is better.. :y

http://direct.tesco.com/q/N.1999724/Nr.99.aspx?Ns=P_SORT_Price&btnResultSort.x=32&btnResultSort.y=10
« Last Edit: 25 August 2007, 14:11:48 by Spongebob »
Is the world ready for me..

omegabeast

« Reply #2 on: 25 August 2007, 14:10:47 »

Or you could wait till aol do that free dell laptop if you take out a 24 month broadband contract with em.

Matt :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2007, 15:08:29 »

Very high quality, good prices here ... I've used them for several years for all sorts of parts, several now clients have lappies from them ..

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/nbranges.html

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2007, 19:28:04 »

I nearly always get stuff from http://www.dabs.com. Really quick delivery, usually next day if ordered am.

When I had a problem in the past there was a no quibble return where they sent a guy to collect and credited me with the cost.

Bought my daughter (which she never gets to use  ;) ;) ;) ) a Lenovo laptop on 'Buy Now Pay August' in December for about £400 with all the bits including built in camera and fingerprint reader for logon and it had given me 100's hours of daily use without a hitch.

You will always find a better deal just after you've bought something though won't you?

Hope this helps.  :)
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #5 on: 25 August 2007, 21:15:02 »

Tesco has some good deals at the moment from £299 but the £370 one is better.. :y

http://direct.tesco.com/q/N.1999724/Nr.99.aspx?Ns=P_SORT_Price&btnResultSort.x=32&btnResultSort.y=10

I havent checked the link.....but you have to watch the supermarkets selling electrical items cheap.....i have noticed they tend to sell end of line products or 'B' grade...which may not be a problem....

I bought a tumble dryer a while ago from the co-op.......it was fairly cheap.....when i got it home after a few days i noticed summat......there was an error on the printed guide on the front on how long to leave diff fabrics in it.....hmmmm doesnt matter to me......but prolly the reason it was cheap......and prolly the supermarket knew and reason they bought them in the first place......cheaper for manu to offload them cheap then rip them all apart to replace the panel.

Another example was TV's in Tesco's........when i was checking the best deal for a Sony TFT (sorry TB!) for my parents.....i discovered all the models my local Tesco was sellling were discontinued on the Sony web site!

Martin_1962

« Reply #6 on: 25 August 2007, 21:29:58 »

I havent checked the link.....but you have to watch the supermarkets selling electrical items cheap.....i have noticed they tend to sell end of line products or 'B' grade...which may not be a problem....

I bought a tumble dryer a while ago from the co-op.......it was fairly cheap.....when i got it home after a few days i noticed summat......there was an error on the printed guide on the front on how long to leave diff fabrics in it.....hmmmm doesnt matter to me......but prolly the reason it was cheap......and prolly the supermarket knew and reason they bought them in the first place......cheaper for manu to offload them cheap then rip them all apart to replace the panel.

Another example was TV's in Tesco's........when i was checking the best deal for a Sony TFT (sorry TB!) for my parents.....i discovered all the models my local Tesco was sellling were discontinued on the Sony web site!

New TV Dave - is it a W series or an X series or is it not worth buying - personally I want a KDL46W2000, X is £1000 more :o

Martin_1962

« Reply #7 on: 25 August 2007, 21:31:40 »

Tesco PCs - well I saw one and the spec is lower except for RAM than my 4 year old home PC, mine has 1 2.4 P4 this had a 1.7 Celery, mine has XP Pro that had Vista Home equivalent.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #8 on: 25 August 2007, 21:40:24 »

New TV Dave - is it a W series or an X series or is it not worth buying - personally I want a KDL46W2000, X is £1000 more :o

No it was for my parents.....their spec.....Sony and 28" they wanted  ::) Got em just that on the Net in the end......for around £600 iirc

Best price i could find......in fact the website upped the price after i ordered it......but still honoured the price i paid  :y Carnt remember the model number now

Martin_1962

« Reply #9 on: 25 August 2007, 21:59:01 »

Probably the S series then the W and X only go down to 40". I really want a 46" TV with 1080P capability, I have had an offer of £1800 and will replace the free DVD recorder with a PS3.

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 August 2007, 23:12:23 »

I nearly always get stuff from http://www.dabs.com. Really quick delivery, usually next day if ordered am.

When I had a problem in the past there was a no quibble return where they sent a guy to collect and credited me with the cost.

Bought my daughter (which she never gets to use  ;) ;) ;) ) a Lenovo laptop on 'Buy Now Pay August' in December for about £400 with all the bits including built in camera and fingerprint reader for logon and it had given me 100's hours of daily use without a hitch.

You will always find a better deal just after you've bought something though won't you?

I wanted to buy a surround system from them.  Says due in 1-2 days, for the last 2 weeks!  Looked at a laptop from them.  Cheaper elsewhere, incuding on the manufacturer's website!

Anyone used the Acer 12" widescreen Travel Mate?  1.5Kg, external DVD.
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 August 2007, 23:17:16 »

I wanted to buy a surround system from them.  Says due in 1-2 days, for the last 2 weeks!  Looked at a laptop from them.  Cheaper elsewhere, incuding on the manufacturer's website!

Anyone used the Acer 12" widescreen Travel Mate?  1.5Kg, external DVD.

:'( :'( :'(

As I said. Always had great service although I haven't ordered an out of stock item. Not always cheapest I'm sure but never been let down.

Ordered LCD TV from them today for the caravan at The Wales Meet so we will see how they get on.
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 August 2007, 23:20:30 »

Wouldn't touch dabs with a bargepole after they ripped a mate off with a faulty cpu, said he was an amateur builder and must have blown chip installing it. This is a guy who builds a couple of systems a week and is qualified in electronic servicing probably to a higher standard than the muppet on the phone. That was a few years ago just after they closed the counter sales at their warehouse but personally I prefer scan or novatech.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 August 2007, 23:27:06 »

For a (relatively) low cost PC I recommend this one:

http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=HPYA05ENO

Only downside is that the screen colours are not very vivid. And the warranty is only 1 years. But it's HP...

Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 August 2007, 23:54:04 »

Tesco PCs - well I saw one and the spec is lower except for RAM than my 4 year old home PC, mine has 1 2.4 P4 this had a 1.7 Celery, mine has XP Pro that had Vista Home equivalent.
The Celeron M is nearer the Pentium M than P4 is. The current crop of Pentium M derived chips (Core) are considered the current best x86 (and x64) chips...
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.