Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: £8 Dash Cam, with example footage  (Read 2915 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
£8 Dash Cam, with example footage
« on: 19 October 2016, 13:40:59 »

Earlier in the year I purchased a couple of these from Amazon. They retail at around £8

To be fair, I expected the quality to be shocking, but I was curious.

The footage below was taken a few months ago from the rear facing camera in my BMW. Although it's far from perfect, when the speed limit drops from a 40 to a 30 and the car behind gets a bit closer, you can read the number plate quite clearly.

When the car behind me, in the footage, gets frustrated with the cars in front travelling a shade under the speed limit, he overtakes a few of us at once in the 30, and you get some very clear footage of what's going on.

Whilst not the best quality, in the event of a collision I think it would be worth it's weight in gold at proving liability :y And goes to show that a cheap one, is better than nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roJ-hteXQq0

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
Re: £8 Dash Cam, with example footage
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2016, 13:48:30 »

I bought one of those a while back, and as you say acceptable and better than nothing. I just found it too big and cumbersome in the dash/windscreen space, particularly as I use a screen mounted sat nav as well. I'm looking for one that's small and unobstrusive, but obviuosly it's going to cost a lot more  :(
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2016, 13:49:41 »

I bought one of those a while back, and as you say acceptable and better than nothing. I just found it too big and cumbersome in the dash/windscreen space, particularly as I use a screen mounted sat nav as well. I'm looking for one that's small and unobstrusive, but obviuosly it's going to cost a lot more  :(

I haven't tried to mount one in the Omega, but in the BMW, it sits nicely above the rear view mirror if you wish, and with the screen folded up, you don't even know it's there :y

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 October 2016, 14:38:27 »

Whilst not the best quality,.....................................

It's clear enough to see that you left the Sportsmans Garage in Longwick and travelled past Bryant's Timber Yard and along the Longwick road towards Kingsey if I'm not mistaken.  ;) :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 October 2016, 14:46:24 »

It's clear enough to see that you left the Sportsmans Garage in Longwick and travelled past Bryant's Timber Yard and along the Longwick road towards Kingsey if I'm not mistaken.  ;) :y

Indeed, you are local to me :y

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 October 2016, 14:56:23 »

Indeed, you are local to me :y

He overtook way too early in the 30mph zone, ................... even I wait until I get to the wide part just as you leave the 30 zone.  ::)  ;D

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 October 2016, 15:06:24 »

Yes once you leave the 30 there are some good overtaking opportunities along there :y

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 19 October 2016, 15:10:49 »

It's not the law that you have to overtake. You can actually just tag along...if you want.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 October 2016, 16:10:12 »

Does the job, and to be honest, I'm not sure how much you could pay before you think 'this extra cost isn't worth the increase in vid quality' £8's just great  :y perhaps size/ease of mounting discreetly would be the critical defining factor for a more expensive unit? I am keen on getting one, so watch such threads as this with interest.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 October 2016, 16:11:01 »

It's not the law that you have to overtake. You can actually just tag along...if you want.

Quite  :y  I find that I rarely overtake these days, unless the vehicle in front really is VERY slow. As I get older I see that it just isn't worth even the smallest risk. And, round my way the "accident" (collision) rate is appalling, mostly people overtaking on country roads. They really are quite nuts around here. Nope, I'll be boring and stay alive thank you.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 October 2016, 16:14:16 »

I would never overtake without ample clear view and distance, so on so forth.

I still overtake when it's safe and legal though. If it's safe to make progress up to the speed limit, I will.

And I know first hand how quickly it can all go very wrong :y

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 October 2016, 17:01:33 »

I might have a look at one of those. I have a NextBase dash cam but wouldn't mind one like yours just for rear facing view.  :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 October 2016, 17:17:15 »

I might have a look at one of those. I have a NextBase dash cam but wouldn't mind one like yours just for rear facing view.  :y

Which one? Have been contemplating the 512g :y

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 October 2016, 17:41:06 »

Which one? Have been contemplating the 512g :y

Mine's the 202, which is one of the earlier models. It does what I require from it and is clear enough on play back so I'm happy enough with it but a cheapy rear facing would be handy.  :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 October 2016, 17:59:13 »

Does the job, and to be honest, I'm not sure how much you could pay before you think 'this extra cost isn't worth the increase in vid quality' £8's just great  :y perhaps size/ease of mounting discreetly would be the critical defining factor for a more expensive unit?

That was my concern, as you do NOT need a big screen on the thing. You don't actually need a screen on it at all, as like a sat-nav, you're not going to watch it as you drive. Nor do you need a large memory card, as you're only ever going to be interested in the last few minutes of driving.

I bought a Mini 0801 with GPS for about £100 3 years ago. It's about the size of a mini swiss-roll, and mounted between the screen and rearview mirror isn't visible when driving. It's barely visible from outside unless you know it's there.

I hardwired it into the sunroof wiring, using a tiny 12v to USB converter, so that it goes on and off with the ignition which is essential. And there's only a few mm of wire visible if you look for it.

As you would expect, in three years they've improved it; with better quality(it's pretty good at 1080p), more features and a lower price. It's now the Mini 0806
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.