Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play in V6 water pump. How much is too much?  (Read 1820 times)

Boatboy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • View Profile
Play in V6 water pump. How much is too much?
« on: 07 December 2015, 16:26:40 »

Following on from Saturdays thermostat change and coolant flush I now have a significant coolant leak down the front of the engine. Accept that the 'stat/transfer pipe would be obvious candidates but using an endoscope/boroscope laptop attachment that area looks dry so thought I'd have a feel of the water pump.

There's definitely a 'rock' there, so wondering if there is an amount of movement permitable or if any play would point to a likely source of leak.

I've had it in the past where a flush and a change of coolant seems to find or exacerbate leaks that were not previously an issue.

On a side note, the aux belt tensioner assemblywas loose, literally hanging on by a thread or two of the bolts. And this car like many others has supposedly been professionally maintained.

Off to modify a coolant cap now.

Steve

Every start's a bonus!
03 2.6 Elite estate. Bose my A***

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Re: Play in V6 water pump. How much is too much?
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2015, 16:39:32 »

If there's any play in the water pump, replace it.  It will only get worse and if the bearing does collapse, it will dump the coolant very quickly - spoken from experience! ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2015, 16:43:09 »

There is a very slight play in the water pump buts its minute, check the water pump pulley bolts are tight, if it is leaking from the pump your soon know about it, plus coolant splash marks all around it.

Boatboy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 December 2015, 17:18:31 »

Following on from Saturdays thermostat change and coolant flush I now have a significant coolant leak down the front of the engine. Accept that the 'stat/transfer pipe would be obvious candidates but using an endoscope/boroscope laptop attachment that area looks dry so thought I'd have a feel of the water pump.

There's definitely a 'rock' there, so wondering if there is an amount of movement permitable or if any play would point to a likely source of leak.

I've had it in the past where a flush and a change of coolant seems to find or exacerbate leaks that were not previously an issue.

On a side note, the aux belt tensioner assemblywas loose, literally hanging on by a thread or two of the bolts. And this car like many others has supposedly been professionally maintained.

Off to modify a coolant cap now.

Steve

Correction, the tensioner was hanging by the last thread or two of one bolt. The only thing stopping the other bolt going down the road was its resting on the cable guide for the alternator.
Every start's a bonus!

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 December 2015, 21:54:11 »

The water pump should have a bleed hole in the underside - between the seal and the bearings - so that a slight leak drips out of the bottom rather than forcing it's way through the bearings.

The water pump pulley completely covers the pump so you will have to take the pulley off to confirm whether that is where the coolant is escaping.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Boatboy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 December 2015, 22:45:12 »

Thanks for the replies.

I've got my pressure testing cap ready so will be on it in the morning.

As there were no obvious leaks immediately after fitting the stat and its become very obvious since a 220 mile round trip on sunday, I still fancy the water pump as prime suspect.
See my red face when I actually find the thermostat o ring is out of position :-[

Either way, with the aux belt tensioner mainly held in place by belt tension i'm glad the issue arose.

Steve

Every start's a bonus!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 December 2015, 22:54:07 »

See my red face when I actually find the thermostat o ring is out of position :-[

'glue' it in place with a little grease  :y

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2015, 09:07:05 »

I dont think that all water pumps have the bleed hole nowdays.

Boatboy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2015, 15:51:32 »

Seems it was the water pump. Happily there was a bleed hole (top surface, genuine GM) and with the pulley off and the system pressured it ran out a treat, even faster when the shaft was rotated.

Also happily the replacement pump (FAI, £47 from local factors) has a bleed hole and the pulley bolts did not need shortening.

Curious that the three pump mounting bolts were equal length. I'm sure I read somewhere (probably Haynes) they would be different lengths and should be replaced accordingly.
Every start's a bonus!

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #9 on: 08 December 2015, 16:57:34 »

Seems it was the water pump. Happily there was a bleed hole (top surface, genuine GM) and with the pulley off and the system pressured it ran out a treat, even faster when the shaft was rotated.

Also happily the replacement pump (FAI, £47 from local factors) has a bleed hole and the pulley bolts did not need shortening.

Curious that the three pump mounting bolts were equal length. I'm sure I read somewhere (probably Haynes) they would be different lengths and should be replaced accordingly.

;) - glad you're sorted.   :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.