Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone used a Navigon Satnav?  (Read 2421 times)

Boatboy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • View Profile
Anyone used a Navigon Satnav?
« on: 07 February 2010, 16:44:01 »

My bruv has just bought one from Halfords at a good price as it's last years model.

Seems to do all you might expect, but as it's new to us both we have nothing to compare it too.

Do I follow his lead or look for something better?

Steve

Every start's a bonus!
03 2.6 Elite estate. Bose my A***

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
Re: Anyone used a Navigon Satnav?
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2010, 18:21:09 »

My bruv has just bought one from Halfords at a good price as it's last years model.

Seems to do all you might expect, but as it's new to us both we have nothing to compare it too.

Do I follow his lead or look for something better?

Steve

Cheap product because there are NO MAPPING UPGRADES !!

;)
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2010, 19:04:22 »

Yeah, Hellfrauds are dumping a load of old stock cheap.

Do you need mapping updates?  Its worth keeping maps relatively up to date (bloody useless paperweight if the maps are out of date), but consider if its just worth buying a new entire unit every couple of years - often new unit (those crappy portable types) not much more expensive than map updates.

I still reckon Tomtom are the best of the crappy, low cost portable units.  Based on hardware reliability, software reliability, route planning (none are perfect) etc.  And I've used most of the brands at some stage.  Navman aren't bad to use, but unit reliability seems suspect to me.

If you have a smartphone, that might open opportunities - Mrs TheBoy got CoPilot for her phone for under £30 for UK and Eire.  Certainly flawed in one respect (can't plan a route in advance if you dont have a sat fix!), but works reasonably well on the road - certainly equal to any portable device.

None are a patch on a 'proper' built in system.  Even older ones like CARiN outperform portable units, even if they do lack features (like speed cameras, postcode entry).  2nd hand CARiN for Omega would be around £60-£70, and not too bad to fit in saloons.  Sadly, no more map updates beyond 2009 for CARiN, and the system is slow to plot a route with latest maps.

Facelifts use the rarer, more expensive Siemens system, built into the headunit and MID.

Another advantage of built in systems, less junk to put in your missus' handbag. And your car will be broken into anyway, as the theives look for telltale 'circle marks' on windscreen, and will want to look in glovebox.
Grumpy old man

rustym95

• Omega Knight
  • Rotherham south yorks
  • carn't get up dont go out!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2010, 19:55:06 »

you can have the maps upgraded but cost about £40 each time. has to be sent off.
Omega's is a life not just a car. also do ecu codes read and wiped or rest.., fix LCD tv & DVD recorders PS3's and most electrical equipment just e-mail me.

rustym95

• Omega Knight
  • Rotherham south yorks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2010, 20:22:02 »

just had a quick look and this is what you get EXPIRED - NAVIGON 1310 SAT NAV - EUROPE, UK & ROI@ £50 @ Halfords
 :'( :'( :'(
Omega's is a life not just a car. also do ecu codes read and wiped or rest.., fix LCD tv & DVD recorders PS3's and most electrical equipment just e-mail me.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2010, 23:21:09 »

you can have the maps upgraded but cost about £40 each time. has to be sent off.

Thats what many of them claim, but if you have ever tried to do it, you may find that it is not actually possible

::)
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

rustym95

• Omega Knight
  • Rotherham south yorks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 February 2010, 02:21:55 »

Thats what many of them claim, but if you have ever tried to do it, you may find that it is not actually possible

::)
im ok, I have Navman :) :)
« Last Edit: 08 February 2010, 02:22:41 by Russell_Hill »

Boatboy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 February 2010, 17:27:56 »

Cheers for the replies, not very promising then. I might follow TB's suggestion and look at smart phones.

Supposedly the Navigon comes packaged with 2 years free map updates via download - concerning if you say they may not materialise. Be interesting to know what percentage or new or modified roads there are every year.

Wondering if updates are so important -perhaps renew it every 2-3 years as suggested. Come to think of it, I dont own an atlas newer than 2006, and my AA book of the road shows the M25 as 'proposed' :o

Steve

Every start's a bonus!

Lee A

• Frome, Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 February 2010, 18:19:51 »

What makes the inbuilt systems better than the handheld ones?

Ive used a TomTom for a few years now and its never stopped working, always got me where i need to go and updates are easy to get, although it does seem  its cheaper sometimes to get the latest complete unit.

I dont have a Navigon but was considering getting one as my tomtom is looking a bit ratty now, all the independant review sites seem to rate them and the map updates are available online, maybe the older units cant be updated?  :question

The Garmin site is just too confusing; how many models do you need?? TomTom seem to bring out a new model every 5 mins as well and the live service fees soon add up!

Ive taken a look at some sat navs for my Blackberry 9700, the Trafficmaster one was rubbish and the Telenav one is ok but likes to send you down tiny country lanes all the time!

Best thing is try a few out and see how they are, some of them do lots of things other than maps! :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 February 2010, 18:33:06 »

Ive used a TomTom for a few years now and its never stopped working, always got me where i need to go and updates are easy to get, although it does seem  its cheaper sometimes to get the latest complete unit.

I dont have a Navigon but was considering getting one as my tomtom is looking a bit ratty now, all the independant review sites seem to rate them and the map updates are available online, maybe the older units cant be updated?  :question

The Garmin site is just too confusing; how many models do you need?? TomTom seem to bring out a new model every 5 mins as well and the live service fees soon add up!

Ive taken a look at some sat navs for my Blackberry 9700, the Trafficmaster one was rubbish and the Telenav one is ok but likes to send you down tiny country lanes all the time!

Best thing is try a few out and see how they are, some of them do lots of things other than maps! :)
The fact that it doesn't rely/need a decent gps signal (its a secondary reference for built in ones, primary being accelerometers and gyros/digital compass).  This means it works when you need it most - the last mile in built up cities.  Additionally, as it always knows where it is, it already has a fix when you start it - how many times have we all waited for ages for tomtom to get its arse in gear and get a fix.

The real killer blow for my TomTom unit was when it made a right mess through the centre of Birmingham, in those queuing underground bits.  Portable units suck!
Grumpy old man

pembroke

• Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 February 2010, 19:02:17 »

I've got a 5 year old Navman (that cost a fortune) that's never been up-dated. On the few occasions I use it it's been great, and the only 'new' roads I've noticed were around new housing estates; not exactly any fear of getting lost ;D ;D
Now, if they start to build new motorways I might be in trouble :( ;) ;)

Boatboy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 February 2010, 23:15:02 »

The fact that it doesn't rely/need a decent gps signal (its a secondary reference for built in ones, primary being accelerometers and gyros/digital compass).  This means it works when you need it most - the last mile in built up cities.  Additionally, as it always knows where it is, it already has a fix when you start it - how many times have we all waited for ages for tomtom to get its arse in gear and get a fix.

The real killer blow for my TomTom unit was when it made a right mess through the centre of Birmingham, in those queuing underground bits.  Portable units suck!

You are of course pulling our chains here, aren't you?

Built In ones would do me no good as I cant take it in the truck during the day :y Also, I did have a built in one in a 4motion passat a few years ago. Crap location way out of line of sight.

Steve

Every start's a bonus!

alunonhisown

« Reply #12 on: 09 February 2010, 23:25:51 »

In my old 7 series my sat nav was all voice activated!!!
Just press one button and it asks you what you want,
BRILLIANT
Sorry I sold it  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 February 2010, 18:45:18 »

You are of course pulling our chains here, aren't you?

Built In ones would do me no good as I cant take it in the truck during the day :y Also, I did have a built in one in a 4motion passat a few years ago. Crap location way out of line of sight.

Steve

Firstly, portable units are for car use only.  There will be a big disclaimer over that on the packet.

Secondly, I can't speak for VAG shite (and I know some companies use shitty buit in tomtoms), but any *proper* built in system will easily outpeform any portable unit for reasons I said above.  I can disconnect the gps from my carin, and even after 2 miles, its still pretty accurate. Shite portable units would still be stuck on the driveway.

Why do you think the tomtom unit says at home?
Grumpy old man

rustym95

• Omega Knight
  • Rotherham south yorks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 February 2010, 19:09:30 »

have noticed mine works in the house get 2-3bars, and no its not a green house, some times dont work but at same time phone dont work as well, no bars.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.