Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone a how2 on converting solid rear calipers to fit rear vented discs.  (Read 2629 times)

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile

I have problems with my 2.6 rear calipers. They work, but they are tatty. The bleed nipple has broke on one. I read on here that calipers from solid rear discs, can be made into vented calipers. By fitting in the spacer, from the vented caliper but it also mentions seals. Are they O rings in the spacers and can they be purchased, in repair kits?

Also can any rear caliper from any omega, work to do the conversion?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Addy
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Fundamentally yes.

The ultimate differences between the two types are the 8mm inset, slightly longer bolts and fitting kits along with 42mm pistons instead of 40mm.

The mountings are identical.

Obviously, the other approach would be to buy the non vented calipers (new or used) and a pair of 12mm solid discs.

Big red might be able to help with seals etc. If you buy a cheap used caliper from fleabay and split it, that will give you a good idea of what you will require.  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile

Thank you DG for the quick reply.

Have used Big Red before, when refurbishing the 2ltr Omega Estate. Helpfull company.  Have I understood correct, that I can fit the solid discs and calipers to match, instead of the 2.6 vented discs and calipers?  Would it make any difference to braking if I changed, to the solid disc setup? Quite happy to change to the solid setup, if no noticeable braking difference.

Addy

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

There shouldn't be.

However, due to the way TC operates on the DBW Omegas, GM felt it important to fit the vented discs.

In day to day terms the smidge smaller piston diameter will make next to no difference. So ultimately the choice is whether you want to keep the vented discs. Or not.

The answer to that will depend on how you drive/use the car.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile

I don't drive it crazy. It's only been once above 3000rpm, since I have had it. And that was when it was being test driven, by GastronomicKleptomaniac. After some work was done on it.  ;D The wife says I drive like Miss Daisy. LOL. My reply to her is there are too many idiots, out there.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile

I'd be putting my efforts into refurbishing the original calipers rather than fitting the solid discs & associated calipers.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

I'd be putting my efforts into refurbishing the original calipers rather than fitting the solid discs & associated calipers.
There's also the ongoing issue of the fitting kits for the vented calipers.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile

I can never see how the pins can wear out or break & I'm sure there must be a similar sized caliper around from AN Other vehicle that would have suitably sized anti-rattle clips. I've never looked .... but the rear vented caliper can't be such an odd ball size
« Last Edit: 15 November 2022, 00:06:03 by Andy B »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

I can never see how the pins can wear out or break & I'm sure there must be a similar sized caliper around from AN Other vehicle that would have suitably sized anti-rattle clips. I've never looked .... but the rear vented caliper can't be such an odd ball size
They are. Thicker discs than the Vectra B and different calipers/fitting as a result. Not helped by retailers flogging tat that they think will work rather than actually knowing.

I would have overhauled the rear calipers on my 3.2 Elite, but had a complete set of Monaro calipers so ran with making them work.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile

They are. Thicker discs than the Vectra B and different calipers/fitting as a result. Not helped by retailers flogging tat that they think will work rather than actually knowing.

you're saying then that General Motors made a short production run of an odd ball caliper for a car nearing the end of its production run. More like raided their parts bin or someone else's (ATE???) for a vented disc caliper.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile

if it were me i would overaul  the existing calipers (or a spare pair) myself or send them off. theyre a simple caliper and no need to seperate the two halves if you dont have to.
the pins can rust thin and the spring can pop its rivet but easy enough to sort. plus i wouldnt want to downrate the brakes by fitting solids in case of future accident or insurance issues. most main insurers dont like mods

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

I didn't try, but I wonder if the front calipers from a 2.0 8v would bolt straight on... 🤔

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile

the pins can rust thin
I suppose they could, but I had Vauxhalls my Manta with the same pin type 35+ years ago and never experienced it

and the spring can pop its rivet but easy enough to sort.
The spring on my Omega was getting a little worse for wear ie rusted, but it's only there to stop the pads from rattling .... my Manta didn't have them.

plus i wouldnt want to downrate the brakes by fitting solids in case of future accident or insurance issues. most main insurers dont like mods
Agreed. Insurers don't like alterations from stock, even if it's a positive mod

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

you're saying then that General Motors made a short production run of an odd ball caliper for a car nearing the end of its production run. More like raided their parts bin or someone else's (ATE???) for a vented disc caliper.
I never found another application. The split shell design lends itself to being adaptable.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile

I never found another application.  ....

Fairy Snuff .... I never had the need to look  ;)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 18 queries.