Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ECU interchangeability  (Read 3343 times)

Stu.C

• Lancashire
    • 2.0 Capri / 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • Visit the blog...
ECU interchangeability
« on: 16 December 2022, 21:47:36 »

Evening folks,

I get that you can technically run an X30XE on an ECU combo from a 2.5, but is there actually a different map in them?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm vaguely looking around for a backup ECU with the longevity of the Invisible Omega in mind. Concerns are that I've only got the one transponder chip should it ever get lost, or that the EEPROM gets forgetful in its old age. Either way, if the engine's otherwise mechanically sound, it'd be a shame to get locked out of it.

2.5 ECUs are more plentiful, it seems - so wondered if I'd be short-changing myself if I picked one up?  :y

Oh, and part B - is there anything different about an ECU for an auto, other than needing to ground out the pin for the selector lockout if using it in a manual?

Cheers, Stu
Nothing better to do ? Visit the blog at cuyahoga.co.uk

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: ECU interchangeability
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2022, 00:23:49 »

If we are talking about simular years, or close to bear in mind Preface and MiniFace), then it should work, as long as you've done the the ECU + Transponder Module + Key Chip, you are correct they will be different Maps but My experience of ECU Swaps is mainly on the 3.2, and again a 2.6 will work and get you out of trouble or run permently if you not that bothered about the Map difference.

You are also correct on the Auto / Manual thing with the earthing of one of the pins, but just to point out this is not the same or an easy fix for the 2.6 / 3.2's.
« Last Edit: 17 December 2022, 00:25:45 by zirk »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 December 2022, 10:16:24 »

For a given year, the hardware is identical but the map varies.  The map is a socketed, plug in EPROM on those, so trivial to reprogram.  Can't remember chip type though, I think it was a bit smaller than the 512Mbit one used on the diesels of the era.

For non DBW V6, there are at least 2 hardware types, I seem to recall the changeoever was between MY96 and MY97, rather than PFL/MFL, but I could be mistaken on that. Best get same model year if poss.

I have the factory map from my old 1998 retail MV6, and also have a map from whatever chip mine had in.  Looks like they they are 64KB = 256Mbit if my maths is correct.
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 December 2022, 14:38:06 »

Can't remember chip type though, I think it was a bit smaller than the 512Mbit one used on the diesels of the era.

I have the factory map from my old 1998 retail MV6

Fairly sure they were M27C256 so yea 256mbit, which reminds me, still go some 3.0 Superchips and ExPlod Courtenay Chips kicking around somewhere, thanks TB forgot all about them.

Stu.C

• Lancashire
    • 2.0 Capri / 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • Visit the blog...
« Reply #4 on: 17 December 2022, 19:18:24 »

Well that's all rather jolly news thus far  :y

My ideal target is therefore another 98-upwards 3.0 ECU with a transponder and pair of keys. I've not seen any 3.0's with a later code than 0261204589 (AF) - same as mine. If anyone's got a list handy, were there subsequent codes I could add to my search list?

3.2/2.6 ECUs weren't even considered, what with the whole DBW thing, the different coil pack arrangements and prolly a host of other things.

As an aside, if I can pick up an ECU on its own super cheap, I'll happily have a play at removing the immobiliser function altogether. I see that Ian Cass had success doing that with his MGB project - and for the sake of a few quid, it'd be an amusing/interesting nothing ventured, nothing gained kinda project  :y

Stu.C

• Lancashire
    • 2.0 Capri / 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • Visit the blog...
« Reply #5 on: 19 December 2022, 23:08:44 »

Of course, if any readers do have something suitable just sat there getting dusty, please do let me know...  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 December 2022, 23:49:11 »

Well that's all rather jolly news thus far  :y

My ideal target is therefore another 98-upwards 3.0 ECU with a transponder and pair of keys. I've not seen any 3.0's with a later code than 0261204589 (AF) - same as mine. If anyone's got a list handy, were there subsequent codes I could add to my search list?

3.2/2.6 ECUs weren't even considered, what with the whole DBW thing, the different coil pack arrangements and prolly a host of other things.

As an aside, if I can pick up an ECU on its own super cheap, I'll happily have a play at removing the immobiliser function altogether. I see that Ian Cass had success doing that with his MGB project - and for the sake of a few quid, it'd be an amusing/interesting nothing ventured, nothing gained kinda project  :y
2.6/3.2 are irrelevant unless you wish to change the engine and gearbox looms, sensors and ignition system, throttle pedal along with the transponder and chip... Possibly rewire the dash and ABS module.  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 December 2022, 15:14:11 »

2.6/3.2 are irrelevant unless you wish to change the engine and gearbox looms, sensors and ignition system, throttle pedal along with the transponder and chip... Possibly rewire the dash and ABS module.  ;)
Its not quite that drastic on MFL, but still far too much work, given the ECUs are bombproof, and must be plentiful on scrappers.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 December 2022, 15:18:37 »

Its not quite that drastic on MFL, but still far too much work, given the ECUs are bombproof, and must be plentiful on scrappers.
OK, the last too may have been an egg too far, but the rest is the minimum.

Stu.C

• Lancashire
    • 2.0 Capri / 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • Visit the blog...
« Reply #9 on: 22 December 2022, 19:02:16 »

Umm, yeah, errrr - that's kinda why I said they weren't even considered...  ::)

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 December 2022, 10:03:30 »

love the way you are realy into understanding how to systems work on an indepth level.
the info you gave me on testing my dash pcb realy helped and allowed me to sort it. still all ok and ive done your pcb you sent me as a spare. the failure mode seems to be down to the heat behind the instruments affecting the double layer board rather than a component issue. (swapped out a few first thou !)
next job on my list ,although not electrical is to make the door carches future proof. until i remove mine i havnt seen the failure mode yet but guess its either down to rust seizure or the pressed on release shaft end piece. if thats the case they will get a weld added !
merry christmas and a happy tinkering new year.

Stu.C

• Lancashire
    • 2.0 Capri / 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • Visit the blog...
« Reply #11 on: 26 December 2022, 10:08:50 »

Cheers cam  :y

The tinkering will continue for sure, after a ridiculously low eBay offer got accepted on a matching ECU just before Christmas. With any luck it'll arrive by Easter ...!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 December 2022, 10:07:07 »

Cheers cam  :y

The tinkering will continue for sure, after a ridiculously low eBay offer got accepted on a matching ECU just before Christmas. With any luck it'll arrive by Easter ...!
Did it include the key chip and transponder ring?

Stu.C

• Lancashire
    • 2.0 Capri / 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • Visit the blog...
« Reply #13 on: 28 December 2022, 17:40:51 »

Did it include the key chip and transponder ring?

Nope, or it'd surely have cost more. It's cheap enough that I can poke it, prod it and hook it up to an EEPROM programmer without being overly concerned if I inadvertently kill it.  ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 December 2022, 18:39:20 »

Prodding and poking are additional uses to the paperweight that it is without.  ;)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.