Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: leak from my power steering  (Read 1546 times)

mustangboy

leak from my power steering
« on: 07 February 2023, 12:23:24 »

Hi all.
Got leak from my power steering, going to get some stop leak,  used some before successfully on another car so hopefully will do the job this time but If not what evolved with changing the rack ? easy or don't touch it ?, also what is the total capacity of the power steering system ?

thanks

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: leak from my power steering
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2023, 12:31:24 »

Don't make expensive, difficult to repair assumptions without some proper diagnosis - you need to find the what is leaking and fix that.

It doesn't have a rack, but a steering box bolted to the inner wing below the brake servo. These are very reliable, so do not bugger about with any of the adjustments.

The hoses are now old and are the most likely problem. The steel lines run under the radiator, and can rust badly. They are crimped together as standard, but the hoses can be replaced with suitable oil-resistant hose clamped in place.

Pumps can fail too, but those are easily replaced with a better one.

mustangboy

« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2023, 13:35:27 »

Thank you Nick for your help, i intend to check over the pipework before i do anything but i was not aware it had a box and not a rack so thank you for pointing that out, the last car i had with a steering box was a mk1 Cortina GT back in early 80s.
anyway thanks again
regards chris

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2023, 18:14:42 »

I had a sweat from the top up bottle pipe the jubilee underneath was loose, no idea how it got loose but tightened it up and stopped the sweat.

mustangboy

« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2023, 13:00:33 »

Hi all, Still scratching my head as to were the leak is coming from ? Ruled out power steering 100% as not loosing any fluid at all. Looked like it was coming from the bell housing area which i automatically thought seal on the in put shaft.  Now it only drips for spots after i have been out in the car,  There is no signs of any fluid on the underside of the car and when left running on the drive for 30min plus with a tray under is it does not leak at all ?, Left over night i have a small amount of AFT on the tray, some times about 10cm in diameter and sometimes nothing at all. i have put some Wynn's Trans sealer in but no change at all so me thinks it does not leak under pressure ?. Now the bit that confuses me is that before i put the Wynn's in i cracked the top up plus open to drain a small amount  fluid out to see what the condition was like and it was a darkish reddish brown but the fluid on the tray is a very clear pinkie red and looks like new. i have compared both on a white cloth and it as different as chalk & cheese.
Any ideas please as i am a bit baffled. is the AFT or any other pick fluid in anything else ?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2023, 13:17:19 »

Could be dripping from the steering box and associated plumbing.
Onanists always think outside the box.

mustangboy

« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2023, 15:31:35 »

Thats what i thought at the start a couple weeks ago but no sign of any leaks around the pipes, pump or steering box, been checking Steering fluid reservoir regularly and Fluid level has no dropped a single mm

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2023, 17:11:54 »

trans cooler and PAS cooler have pipes to the front rads ,a leak could follow the pipe back and drip elsewhere  :-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 19 queries.