Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MOT Inconsistencies  (Read 2919 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: MOT Inconsistencies
« Reply #15 on: 31 December 2022, 14:21:32 »

So, he's just 'tapped' stuff with his toffee hammer and wiggled things around a bit, grunted, farted and hoped you cba looking into it. Sounds about average.
Diesel till I die

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 December 2022, 16:10:34 »

So, he's just 'tapped' stuff with his toffee hammer and wiggled things around a bit, grunted, farted and hoped you cba looking into it. Sounds about average.
That does sound like SOME NTs  (testers) in the UK Uncle Stemo  ;D
then point the owner to the office for a list of financial penalties  :P

I'm not disagreeing with you  ;)
testing standards vary massively .

was it a single NT with no "helper" to operate the controls/rock the steering etc ? on an ATL with shaker plates ?

Yep, he did it on his own :y
if it wasn't an ATL then he needed a "helper"  :-X
ATLs are crap ,you can't beat someone "helper" operating the steering, brakes and controls whilst the NT inspects .
then there's the fee
£30 MOTs   :-X to pay an NT , helper (for the hour) , VOSA fee, test station running costs etc  :P
so the station is either rushing and doing 3 MOTs an hour (which will be flagged on the VTS device) , OR....
cheap MOT to get work  :-X

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 December 2022, 16:51:18 »

if it wasn't an ATL then he needed a "helper"  :-X
ATLs are crap ,you can't beat someone "helper" operating the steering, brakes and controls whilst the NT inspects .
then there's the fee
£30 MOTs   :-X to pay an NT , helper (for the hour) , VOSA fee, test station running costs etc  :P
so the station is either rushing and doing 3 MOTs an hour (which will be flagged on the VTS device) , OR....
cheap MOT to get work  :-X

My previous test station used to have me doing the brake press & wriggle of the steering while he was underneath .... he retired & they shut the test station.  :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 December 2022, 17:17:36 »

My ZX10 used to keep getting an advisory on a notchy headstock, which I could never feel. Ever. So I never bothered replacing it (it's a shit getting the old bearings out of the frame on a bike).

Until it failed its MOT one year.  I couldn't feel it, so I took it home and got various bike mates to try it, and they couldn't find anything wrong.  So I took it back and spoke to the tester. He remembered and said it was really bad, and invited me to hang on until he had finished the current MOT, then he'd show me.  On his steering plate it was clear as day that the bearings were shot, even though riding it felt perfect, as did trying it with and without load on it.

The point being, there are scenarios that can show up faults that otherwise are impossible to see.  So if in doubt, have a friendly word with the chap, and see if he can demonstrate, even if it costs you a drink or 2.
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 December 2022, 17:28:41 »

I agree
I think an MOT should include a road test ,which is not required for class 4
much of the inspection of suspension etc(class 4)  is with the car beam jacked up ,wheels hanging
with the weight and springs fully extended ,it "loads up" joints

With so many cars driving round with defects , plus the shockingly BAD standard of some driving :o
 I'm surprised there are not more accidents  :-X

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 December 2022, 18:17:55 »

My current MOT tester doesn't do a roller test on my ML's brakes ... AFAIK he should really do a road brake test with a decelerometer. His rollers will only go one way .. previous tester could spin the wheels on an axle in opposite directions. I assume he just goes off the overall condition of the car. 

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 December 2022, 18:40:36 »

I leave my car and wait for a phone call. They might not even use my car for the test as far as I know  ;D
Diesel till I die

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 December 2022, 18:46:12 »

My current MOT tester doesn't do a roller test on my ML's brakes ... AFAIK he should really do a road brake test with a decelerometer. His rollers will only go one way .. previous tester could spin the wheels on an axle in opposite directions. I assume he just goes off the overall condition of the car.
I don't get that  :-[
because it's all wheel drive ?
he'd have to enter some figures on the VTS device for the brakes  ???

I leave my car and wait for a phone call. They might not even use my car for the test as far as I know  ;D

It's always nice to have the car "on site" when doing an MOT  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31 December 2022, 19:34:48 »

Not necessarily. Only check is for grabbing, binding and obvious imbalance. Of three awd cars I have owned, only the Sierra XR4x4 had the test done with the box in the passenger footwell.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31 December 2022, 19:46:25 »

^This!^  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

iansoutham

• SE London
    • Omega 2.0 m/f/l est CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 31 December 2022, 21:01:12 »

Not necessarily. Only check is for grabbing, binding and obvious imbalance. Of three awd cars I have owned, only the Sierra XR4x4 had the test done with the box in the passenger footwell.

My MOT tester only ever took my Sierra 4x4 out once for that test. Car stopped from 30 mph in a cars length as if someone had dropped an anchor (his words, not mine) and he ended up with suspected whiplash so could barely do any work for over a week. Refused to ever test brakes on that car ever since. And yes, the brakes are massively upgraded from standard and do stop it pretty quickly.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31 December 2022, 21:17:50 »

My MOT tester only ever took my Sierra 4x4 out once for that test. Car stopped from 30 mph in a cars length as if someone had dropped an anchor (his words, not mine) and he ended up with suspected whiplash so could barely do any work for over a week. Refused to ever test brakes on that car ever since. And yes, the brakes are massively upgraded from standard and do stop it pretty quickly.
Mine didn't have ABS, so would quite happily slide when asked to pull up from speed :o

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 January 2023, 01:43:15 »

I believe you opps up all wheel drive up if you drive 1 axle & not the other  ???

he'd have to enter some figures on the VTS device for the brakes  ??? ...
No idea .... he gives me a pass. That's as much as I care.  ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 January 2023, 03:54:12 »

I believe you opps up all wheel drive up if you drive 1 axle & not the other  ???

he'd have to enter some figures on the VTS device for the brakes  ??? ...
No idea .... he gives me a pass. That's as much as I care.  ;)
You do.

The Merc system will tolerate about 5 mph for a very specific period of time, around 15 seconds rings a bell. It's clearly stated within WIS.

At best it ties the transfer case into a knot, but if you're really unlucky you'll do the box and both diffs too.

Given the liability for damage if the test equipment is faulty or they screw up the speed/duration, stomping on the brakes whilst pulling into the test bay to ensure that it pulls up straight and true is enough to get the job done ;)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.