Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: omega 2.0 X20XEV 16v running cold  (Read 1362 times)

mustangboy

omega 2.0 X20XEV 16v running cold
« on: 27 December 2022, 22:08:37 »

Hi All
Got a couple of issues with my 2001 2.0  16v , Car runs very cold and rarely get up to anywhere near 80c on temp gauge on open road and when the weather is really cold struggles to get near 75c and Heater is not blowing any warm air,  if left running on driveway or running around town temp will come up to normal temp on gauge and heater will blow nice warm air but once on the open road temp drops right down and heater goes cold, Thermostat replaced twice with no effect what so ever, second problem is my LPG needs to be left on petrol longer than it before it will run on gas then it will run fine with no problems at all, Don’t know if there is a connection between the two ?, the car its self runs great with no issues at all.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: omega 2.0 X20XEV 16v running cold
« Reply #1 on: 27 December 2022, 23:37:42 »

The thermostat is obviously wrong or defective.

Oh, and running the blower fan at idle will cool the engine more quickly than leaving the bonnet open in a snow storm.
Onanists always think outside the box.

iansoutham

• SE London
    • Omega 2.0 m/f/l est CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2022, 07:18:25 »

You could try blocking the lower half of the radiator with something and see if that allows the car to warm up on the road.

If it does, pretty much confirms thermostat as most likely cause. As said above, either faulty, wrong or installed incorrectly.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2022, 09:54:07 »

as stated above ,definately sounds like water is passing the thermostat. the pipe from it to the top of the radiator should remain cold until the guage is almost at normal .if not then water is passing through.either faulty thermostat itself or corroded/ damaged around where it fits .? ?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2022, 09:56:44 »

How is the LPG plumbed in? Does it effectively bypass the thermostat?
Grumpy old man

mustangboy

« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2022, 19:38:04 »

Thank you all very much for taking the time to respond to my dilemma.  like most of you have said it does sound like the thermostat. the first one i replaced was without the housing, the previous owner gave it to me and it was a new item but unpackaged. The second i brought new Not Original Vauxhall made by Kerr Nelson) complete with the housing so i would think it should be ok but i am doubting it now. anybody know how many variations their are ?, the i have fitted is 92c that's all i can remember. i have blocked part of the rad with some cardboard and have improved slightly. i cant see were the water Pipes for the /vaporiser connects as its difficult to see, i suspect its connected to the heater hoses but i need to investigate further

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2022, 20:38:53 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294956318782

Probably available cheaper from Vauxhall.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 December 2022, 10:46:44 »

as said,if the lpg bypasses the thermostat then there could be an issue there .
but have you checked the top hose for warmth when running the engine from cold ?

mustangboy

« Reply #8 on: 29 December 2022, 13:50:03 »

checked top hose this morning and how water starts to flow through before it reaches 75c on temp gauge which does not seem right to me, so going to try another stat and see want happens before i go looking elsewhere for any other possible issues. thanks again to all for your help, will update again after new stat is fitted.

mustangboy

« Reply #9 on: 29 December 2022, 14:22:21 »

checked top hose this morning and hot water starts to flow through before it reaches 75c on temp gauge which does not seem right to me, so going to try another stat and see want happens before i go looking elsewhere for any other possible issues. thanks again to all for your help, will update again after new stat is fitted.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 December 2022, 14:53:17 »

It needs to be functioning 100% correctly before you even think about the lpg side of things ;)

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 December 2022, 15:15:51 »

The seal should be included on an original thermostat housing, but I don't see it in the ebay listing photos. The seal is probably part #95519738, but you need to check that for yourself.

On a UK spec Omega the thermostat should remain closed until it starts to open at 92°C. 107°C is fully open. If it opens too soon or is stuck open then the engine will run cool.

There seems to be some 82°C thermostats in circulation. They might physically fit but the engine will struggle to get up to the correct  temperature. Yours sounds like it's stuck open. Maybe partially.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 December 2022, 15:50:49 »

The seal should be included on an original thermostat housing, but I don't see it in the ebay listing photos. The seal is probably part #95519738, but you need to check that for yourself.

On a UK spec Omega the thermostat should remain closed until it starts to open at 92°C. 107°C is fully open. If it opens too soon or is stuck open then the engine will run cool.

There seems to be some 82°C thermostats in circulation. They might physically fit but the engine will struggle to get up to the correct  temperature. Yours sounds like it's stuck open. Maybe partially.
That listing was a convenient starting point  ;) that engine family is used globally, finding genuine thermostats for it ought to be easy enough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.