Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh...the penny has finally dropped  (Read 7127 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Oh...the penny has finally dropped
« on: 09 January 2023, 20:13:21 »

From money mail motoring:

Electric vehicles can be more expensive to fill up on the open road than their petrol and diesel equivalents as the cost of utilities continue to spiral.

Pricing structures at national charging networks mean that fees can be three times more than refuelling with fossil fuels on a mile-for-mile basis, given the greater ranges of petrol and diesel cars.

The Daily Mail found that the new Kia Niro EV would cost £51.19 to charge from empty with the Osprey network for a quoted estimated range of 285 miles.

The new Niro (mild) hybrid petrol variant would cost £64.70 to fill from empty at the current average UK petrol price of £1.54/litre. Although that is more than the electric vehicle (EV), it can cover more than double the range, making it cheaper mile for mile.
Diesel till I die

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: Oh...the penny has finally dropped
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2023, 20:38:35 »

and the petrol car won't need £10,000 worth of new batteries at year 7 to 10  :P

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2023, 20:45:34 »

From money mail motoring:

Electric vehicles can be more expensive to fill up on the open road than their petrol and diesel equivalents as the cost of utilities continue to spiral.

Pricing structures at national charging networks mean that fees can be three times more than refuelling with fossil fuels on a mile-for-mile basis, given the greater ranges of petrol and diesel cars.

The Daily Mail found that the new Kia Niro EV would cost £51.19 to charge from empty with the Osprey network for a quoted estimated range of 285 miles.

The new Niro (mild) hybrid petrol variant would cost £64.70 to fill from empty at the current average UK petrol price of £1.54/litre. Although that is more than the electric vehicle (EV), it can cover more than double the range, making it cheaper mile for mile.

You know it, I know it and the majority of the motoring public know it. Unless you are a sheep of course....
Having driven a good few electric cars for work, the majority over a long distance, I've yet to find any real incentive to buy or own one....but then I have been called a 'petrol head' on more than one occasion for good reason... ;D
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2023, 23:49:37 »

It's nearly £10,000 cheaper too.

And you ça save another £20,000 buying something better used.
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2023, 12:07:30 »

All the large motoring organisations have been banging on about this for ages now.

If you have a charger at home (proper one, not a 13A adapter, as that can't charge a pure EV fast enough, so you're looking at 7KW ones if you don't use the car much, or 22KW if you need to fully charge a decent range car overnight), it generally works out slightly cheaper per mile for the EV on pure fuel costs alone with the current price cap on electricity.

If you only have a 13A charger at home, thus reliant on driving to, and wasting hours at, public charge points, then you're a spanner short of a toolbox, as the costs are higher than petrol/diesel, and you spend half your life drinking coffee waiting for your unsuitable milk float to fill up.
Grumpy old man

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2023, 12:15:17 »

And the price of coffee is scandalous too😱
Laying a rubber road.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 January 2023, 12:32:49 »

A friend has recently replaced a Leaf with a six month newer one.

Apparently it has a range of 80 miles. She's about to start a new job 40 miles away and is starting to worry about it but cannot afford to buy petrol.

I suggested selling said Leaf and buying something small and economical for a grand and putting the money to one side. The price differential equates to at least three years petrol costs.

Apparently she only got the newer Leaf at the direction of her husband, although I suspect that he is trying to stop her from wandering too far (but that's a different issue altogether).

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 January 2023, 12:34:28 »

A friend has recently replaced a Leaf with a six month newer one.

Apparently it has a range of 80 miles. She's about to start a new job 40 miles away and is starting to worry about it but cannot afford to buy petrol.

I suggested selling said Leaf and buying something small and economical for a grand and putting the money to one side. The price differential equates to at least three years petrol costs.

Apparently she only got the newer Leaf at the direction of her husband, although I suspect that he is trying to stop her from wandering too far (but that's a different issue altogether).
80 mile range? What's the use of that?  :-\
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2023, 12:38:37 »

Or is that just on battery before the petrol engine kicks in?
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2023, 12:41:10 »

SFA.

She currently walks to work and uses it for errands, but it was purchased after she got the job she is about to start, in the knowledge of her commute, Which makes me suspicious of the motives behind the purchase as I think there are some control issues going on as no-one in their right mind would have made that choice under the circumstances... 🤔

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2023, 12:43:02 »

Or is that just on battery before the petrol engine kicks in?
Leaf is full electric. The ones we had at a previous job struggled to manage 70 miles and often were nearer 40. And they just trundled around the airport.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2023, 12:44:05 »

SFA.

She currently walks to work and uses it for errands, but it was purchased after she got the job she is about to start, in the knowledge of her commute, Which makes me suspicious of the motives behind the purchase as I think there are some control issues going on as no-one in their right mind would have made that choice under the circumstances... 🤔
Of course, a quoted 80 mile range will turn into 65 in real driving conditions.
Diesel till I die

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 January 2023, 12:47:39 »

that 80m is ideal-ish condition.  Put the heater on in the winter, half that.

Plus there is the thing about trying to keep the battery in the 20% to 80% bracket, to protect it.
Grumpy old man

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 January 2023, 13:29:18 »

I recently was asked to deliver an electric Porsche from the North West to Maidstone in Kent. Bring restricted to a certain make / supplier of charging points due to the company account, I had to plan my route relative to where these points were located. This obviously doesn't take into account of any traffic issues that may result in a change of route. First stop to charge was Stafford; 40 minutes later I was back mobile. The next planned stop to charge the vehicle so that it had as near full capacity on arrival was on the M25 at Cobham. All the charging points were occupied, and there were at least 3 vehicles in front of me waiting to get on a charge point. In conversation, the chap in front of me stated that he had had to come from Maidstone (as chance would have it) to Cobham purely to charge his vehicle as he was restricted to particular companies charging points, and the ones at Maidstone were not accepting his card..... Not having the time or desire to wait for another 1 1/2 hours to charge it again,  I decided to chance it to my destination, driving with care. I arrived with 13 miles of range left.
Electric cars - no thanks.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 January 2023, 13:32:53 »

That's like going back to the the days of stagecoaches where they had to go from coaching inn to coaching inn to change horses.  ::)

Progress!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 17 queries.