Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh...the penny has finally dropped  (Read 7209 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh...the penny has finally dropped
« Reply #75 on: 12 January 2023, 16:30:07 »

Maths was based on the following...

(square root of 3)1.73 x 32A x 240V = 13,286.4Wh or 13.29kWh

So to charge 93kW would take 7 hours.

22kWh would require a current of 53A which is somewhat optimistic for a domestic supply, even three phase.

Yes, its wrong!

Its 3 phase so 1.73 x 32 x 400 = 22kW power available  :y
Ah OK if the current is lower, the voltage has to be increased to output. Makes a bit more sense :y

Onanists always think outside the box.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 12 January 2023, 16:32:28 »

22kWh would require a current of 53A which is somewhat optimistic for a domestic supply, even three phase.

Why root 3? The correction you're applying is already accounted for in the 240V RMS calculation of voltage.

Most normal houses only have single phase, and the supply is typically fused at 60A. Flats can be 30A, but if you're living in a flat on the 12th floor of Nelson Mandela house then charging an EV is going to be problematic anyway. You can ask for the 30A/60A to be upgraded to 80A or 100A on a single phase.

A 22Kw wall charger does require 3 phase. Again you can ask to be upgraded. I suspect the local distribution grid is going to struggle though if/when every house in a street wants it.

root 3 is used for 3 phase power calcs as you don't actually get '3' times the power when its a 3 phase machine in delta wiring (you can in star but then the voltage is lower), but the voltage is 400 not 230  :y

Yes, I know, that's why I said the root 3 bit is already taken into account in the 240V RMS. 400V / root(3) = 230.9V.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 12 January 2023, 18:20:05 »

Why root 3? The correction you're applying is already accounted for in the 240V RMS calculation of voltage.

Most normal houses only have single phase, and the supply is typically fused at 60A. Flats can be 30A, but if you're living in a flat on the 12th floor of Nelson Mandela house then charging an EV is going to be problematic anyway. You can ask for the 30A/60A to be upgraded to 80A or 100A on a single phase.

A 22Kw wall charger does require 3 phase. Again you can ask to be upgraded. I suspect the local distribution grid is going to struggle though if/when every house in a street wants it.

root 3 is used for 3 phase power calcs as you don't actually get '3' times the power when its a 3 phase machine in delta wiring (you can in star but then the voltage is lower), but the voltage is 400 not 230  :y

Yes, I know, that's why I said the root 3 bit is already taken into account in the 240V RMS. 400V / root(3) = 230.9V.

It's all irrelevant because the diversity used in sizing the substation that feeds your housing estate means it'll soon explode if every property draws 22 kW for most of the night. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 12 January 2023, 18:21:39 »

.. and then there's the heat pumps we're all told we'll need when they ban gas boilers. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 12 January 2023, 18:39:20 »

When are the idiots who keep pedalling all of this utopian shite going to realise that it's a physical impossibility to have the infrastructure needed to implement their vision ready in time?
It's quite scary to hear this nonsense roll off their tongues when, surely, deep down, they know it just can't happen. Who, in a position to be heard, is going to call them out? It's like the wokes, who have managed to quieten any form of contradiction. No one is arguing against this unachievable timescale. Why?
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 12 January 2023, 18:40:43 »

It seems like they are hoping, rather then doing any actual planning.
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 12 January 2023, 19:07:20 »

They have virtue on their side. They are good people. ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 12 January 2023, 20:13:29 »

They have virtue on their side. They are good people. ::)
The opps they are. They're the exact polar opposite of good people.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 12 January 2023, 20:47:08 »

They are but they have the loudest voices somehow??🤷‍♂️
Laying a rubber road.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 12 January 2023, 22:13:15 »

They are politicians who are deliberately educated to have no knowledge, competence or expertise in anything useful. They are then trained to think that six months is far enough in the future for anything they say, or decisions they can't avoid, to be forgotten. And don't forget the career progression: don't opps up anything too public so their post politics executive directorship or public speaking scams are still possible.

Then there is the general public, who either aspire to be hopeless dreamers or are ill-informed imbeciles who are the definition of confirmation bias. It's depressingly common to find both these traits together, and in politicians - Liz Truss is the current example.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 12 January 2023, 22:19:28 »

I agree 👍
Laying a rubber road.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 13 January 2023, 07:17:38 »

Er no......its root 2 (0.707 as we use) to get from peek to RMS as peek mains (Line to Neutral) is 325V

With three phase, having waveforms which are 120 degrees out of phase with each other, the line to line volts is greater at 400V RMS, line to neutral is still 230V

Simples!

So with a 3 phase supply you can either operate 230V (Line to neutral) or 400V (Line to Line).
« Last Edit: 13 January 2023, 07:19:29 by Marks DTM Calib »

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 13 January 2023, 08:36:55 »

Wow all sounds very complicated, I'll stick with Sainsbury's pumps, just have to choose petrol or diesel...
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 13 January 2023, 09:41:22 »

Wow all sounds very complicated, I'll stick with Sainsbury's pumps, just have to choose petrol or diesel...

The man on the street just needs to know it bites if you touch the live and bites more if you grab two lives on a 3 phase setup  ;D

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 13 January 2023, 09:48:21 »

Er no......its root 2 (0.707 as we use) to get from peek to RMS as peek mains (Line to Neutral) is 325V

I never said any different? DG didn't mention peak voltages? Yes root two applies when converting peak single phase to neutral voltages to RMS.

With three phase, having waveforms which are 120 degrees out of phase with each other, the line to line volts is greater at 400V RMS, line to neutral is still 230V

Simples!

So with a 3 phase supply you can either operate 230V (Line to neutral) or 400V (Line to Line).

Yep, but I was asking why DG had included root 3 in a 240V calculation. I assumed it was related to 3 phase (since that's where it usually crops up) You either use 240V as is, or 415V and root 3.

The whole point of RMS voltages it so allow you to calculate powers easily (for resistive loads anyway). 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.