Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing times  (Read 3432 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Changing times
« on: 10 January 2023, 08:54:24 »

In 1968 a motoring correspondent wrote "the simplest of all cars to drive,so I let my wife take the wheel of the DAF 55 and she coped with it easily". For the Motor show review of 1970 said the DAF 33 was "an ideal second car,easy for wives to drive"
Can you imagine the outrage if similar things were said these days :D :D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Changing times
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2023, 10:34:32 »

They frequently are, by a fella called Opti.
Diesel till I die

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2023, 18:52:46 »

Perhaps Opti wrote the original articles :D ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2023, 19:14:30 »

Back in the day if a woman was allowed to drive by her husband it would be in some sort of practical little town car with 40 BHP or less. This allowed all the pretty little things to go shopping in town and get home again in good time to have a hot dinner ready for her man.

These days you see a number of girlies in large SUV types of car. Surely this can not be right.

Modern day Mini/ Hillman Imp is all a girl needs.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2023, 19:17:44 »

I mean, just look what happens when you mix Katie Price with a Range Rover. ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2023, 19:19:56 »

......and then you have the old dears who think the brake and accelerator are one and the same. How many beige Honda Civics have ended up smashing through a shop window. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2023, 19:23:01 »

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2023, 22:04:09 »

Variomatic, not too complicated even for the fair sex dare I say it😂 And as being an ardent fan of Michele  mouton maybe I shouldn’t 😂🤣😂
Laying a rubber road.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 January 2023, 11:55:47 »

......and then you have the old dears who think the brake and accelerator are one and the same. How many beige Honda Civics have ended up smashing through a shop window. :)

I've mentioned before that I have recovered lots of such crashes. They are one of the reasons why I think old people should not drive automatics when they can no longer manage a manual.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 January 2023, 13:44:55 »

Back in those days I would guess that most family’s only had one car, with the husband using it in the week for work. As the husband was the main driver it would seem perfectly natural for him to drive the family car at weekends also. This meant that the wife was an occasional driver, so lacked both confidence and experience. My wife passed her test at age 17 but didn’t have her own car until many years later. By contrast, my daughter passed her test at age 17 and drove her own car immediately. My daughter will drive absolutely anywhere, any distance without thinking about it, whereas my wife still prefers only local trips. When it comes to speed, my daughter would give me a run for my money, but then it was me that taught her to drive and got her through her test so I shouldn’t expect any different.  ::) ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 January 2023, 18:43:53 »

Damn those acorns ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 January 2023, 20:29:25 »

When it comes to speed, my daughter would give me a run for my money, but then it was me that taught her to drive and got her through her test so I shouldn’t expect any different.  ::) ;D
But clearly she is more observant when it comes to camera vans and jam sandwiches. Or has she been on multiple patronisation courses.....
Grumpy old man

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 January 2023, 21:59:44 »

When it comes to speed, my daughter would give me a run for my money, but then it was me that taught her to drive and got her through her test so I shouldn’t expect any different.  ::) ;D
But clearly she is more observant when it comes to camera vans and jam sandwiches. Or has she been on multiple patronisation courses.....

I can’t lie, she’s more observant than me.  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 January 2023, 19:08:07 »

.... They are one of the reasons why I think old people should not drive automatics when they can no longer manage a manual.

How old is 'old'?
I'm 60 & have been driving autos for the past 30 years, do I have to start driving a manual again in a few years?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 January 2023, 19:13:33 »

My wife passed her test at age 17 but didn’t have her own car until many years later. By contrast, my daughter passed her test at age 17 and drove her own car immediately. My daughter will drive absolutely anywhere, any distance without thinking about it, whereas my wife still prefers only local trips. When it comes to speed, my daughter would give me a run for my money, but then it was me that taught her to drive and got her through her test so I shouldn’t expect any different.  ::) ;D

My wife & daughter are almost exactly the same as yours except my wife was a little older when she (eventually  ::)) passed hers & I paid someone else to teach my daughter.

when I got my ML we went to Costco. My daughter asked for a go of the car so I suggested she drive home, about 10 miles. I think we were doing about 50 by the time we left the underground car park!  :o :o

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 January 2023, 19:47:49 »

I like to get a move when driving. I hate anyone else getting a move on when I'm in the passenger seat.
Diesel till I die

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 January 2023, 20:02:13 »

My wife passed her test at age 17 but didn’t have her own car until many years later. By contrast, my daughter passed her test at age 17 and drove her own car immediately. My daughter will drive absolutely anywhere, any distance without thinking about it, whereas my wife still prefers only local trips. When it comes to speed, my daughter would give me a run for my money, but then it was me that taught her to drive and got her through her test so I shouldn’t expect any different.  ::) ;D

My wife & daughter are almost exactly the same as yours except my wife was a little older when she (eventually  ::)) passed hers & I paid someone else to teach my daughter.

when I got my ML we went to Costco. My daughter asked for a go of the car so I suggested she drive home, about 10 miles. I think we were doing about 50 by the time we left the underground car park!  :o :o

;D ;D  Their confidence is impressive isn’t it. Like you Andy, I have a son and a daughter, and during my stint in hospital recently both kids were brilliant in that they took it in turns to pick up their mum so that my wife could visit every single day. It was 45 miles each way with a fair bit of motorway and my wife’s comment was ‘Blimey, she doesn’t hang about you know, I always get home quicker when I’m with her’.  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 January 2023, 20:07:57 »

I have a son and a daughter,  ....

So I. However ...... the less about my son the better  :-X

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 January 2023, 20:12:35 »

My daughter learnt to drive in her drag Beetle before she was old enough to go on the road, when she took lessons the instructor had to tell her to go easy on the gear shifts!! Both my lads are good and fast drivers but then I showed all my kids how to go round corners correctly. I get cross when stuck behind idiots breaking to go round bends that can be taken much faster without braking safely .

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 January 2023, 20:14:34 »

I like to get a move when driving. I hate anyone else getting a move on when I'm in the passenger seat.

I’m the same.  :y  I drop little hints like, ‘It’s people like that car at the junction sticking their nose out that make me nervous’, ………   which translated means ‘Have you seen that car ahead about to pull out’.  ;D 

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 January 2023, 20:20:33 »

Just close your eyes and pray .like i do when Mrs Builder drives   ;)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 January 2023, 20:33:00 »

My daughter learnt to drive in her drag Beetle before she was old enough to go on the road,……..

Learning to drive underage on an airfield was one of the reasons that I was able to pass my test at the first attempt just a couple of months after I turned 17 years of age. I had a Motocross bike (I still do) that my mates older brother wanted to learn to ride and he had a car, so we often swapped vehicles. One of the joys of living in a village back then. Sadly Haddenham Airfield Glider Club is a housing estate now, otherwise I’d be teaching my grandchildren to drive there.  ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 January 2023, 20:41:46 »

I get cross when stuck behind idiots breaking to go round bends that can be taken much faster without braking safely .

.... or those that brake when they even see a bend in front of them or if there's a car coming the opposite direction ....  I have honestly been behind them.  :-X

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 January 2023, 20:45:23 »

Learning to drive underage on an airfield was one of the reasons that I was able to pass my test at the first attempt just a couple of months after I turned 17 years of age.  ..., otherwise I’d be teaching my grandchildren to drive there.  ::)

I was a few months older than you when I passed my test 1st go, but had been driving from about 13 on the farm I worked at week ends & school holidays. 1st thing I drove was an ancient Massy Ferguson tractor.

My grand daughter is 7 .... so a little while off yet before I can teach her.  ;D ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 January 2023, 23:02:03 »

Learning to drive underage on an airfield was one of the reasons that I was able to pass my test at the first attempt just a couple of months after I turned 17 years of age.  ..., otherwise I’d be teaching my grandchildren to drive there.  ::)

I was a few months older than you when I passed my test 1st go, but had been driving from about 13 on the farm I worked at week ends & school holidays. 1st thing I drove was an ancient Massy Ferguson tractor.

My grand daughter is 7 .... so a little while off yet before I can teach her.  ;D ;D

Same here. First thing I drove aged about 11 was may Dad's 'Little Grey Fergie'.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 January 2023, 09:47:35 »

I used to be exactly the same, and probably still am with a lot if drivers.  But for the past 2 or 3 years, I've essentially had a chauffeur* for work, so have learnt to be content in the passenger seat scoffing wine gums whilst mt colleague is leaning out of the window call all and sundry a stupid wanka.

*Because the boy from the West Mids simply believes me when I tell him my house is en-route to wherever we need to be, so he can pick me up...
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 January 2023, 13:01:18 »

.... They are one of the reasons why I think old people should not drive automatics when they can no longer manage a manual.

How old is 'old'?
I'm 60 & have been driving autos for the past 30 years, do I have to start driving a manual again in a few years?

How many years have you been 60 years old? ::) 8)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 January 2023, 13:04:57 »

How old is 'old'?

Probably not as long as you've been 30 years old!  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 January 2023, 13:25:19 »

How old is 'old'?

Probably not as long as you've been 30 years old;D

The great thing about 2023 in the UK is that reality is now deemed irrelevant. It's place taken by the 'my truth' types.

I identify as 34  and devilishly handsome, therefore I am 34 and devilishly handsome. 8)

Anyone who dares to disagree is a hateful bigot. >:D ;) :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 January 2023, 13:37:24 »

How old is 'old'?

The great thing about 2023 in the UK is that reality is now deemed irrelevant. It's place taken by the 'my truth' types.

I identify as 34  and devilishly handsome, therefore I am 34 and devilishly handsome, even if I look like I've had a hard life!  ::)

:)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 15 January 2023, 13:42:07 »

How old is 'old'?

I identify as 34  and devilishly handsome, therefore I am 34 and devilishly handsome, even if I look like I've had a hard life!  ::)

Not aged well for 34 but 34 nonetheless. ;D

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 15 January 2023, 13:43:32 »

How old is 'old'?

I identify as 34  and devilishly handsome, therefore I am 34 and devilishly handsome. 8)

And racist don’t forget that or you’ll have folk up in arms…
Laying a rubber road.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 January 2023, 14:20:30 »

How old is 'old'?

Were you born on Feb 29th perchance?  :)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 15 January 2023, 14:22:02 »

How old is 'old'?

......who deserves to be cancelled  :y
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 15 January 2023, 14:44:07 »

How old is 'old'?

Were you born on Feb 29th perchance? :)

Let me see....4 x 34 = 136.

That would make me nearly as old as you. :D ;D

I'll bet you were paid in groats when you first started work. >:D

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 15 January 2023, 15:31:27 »

How old is 'old'?

No, dinosaur joints.  :P  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 15 January 2023, 17:29:35 »

How old is 'old'?

No, dinosaur joints.  :P  ;D

I bet a bit of T-Rex ribeye was bloody tasty!  :y  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 16 January 2023, 08:59:41 »

just the one ..... ask me again this time next week & I'll be older!  ;D
« Last Edit: 16 January 2023, 09:01:19 by Andy B »
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.