Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: British Coal  (Read 1398 times)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
British Coal
« on: 22 January 2023, 20:42:51 »

I've just read that they are asking the operators of three coal fired power stations to start to get them ready to go on line if this cold snap lasts much longer.
That'll start a meltdown amongst certain members of the population.  :)

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
Re: British Coal
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2023, 20:59:50 »

Good may put a bit of sense into the idiots who think the electric comes from the fairies🧚🧚🏻‍♀️
Laying a rubber road.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2023, 08:21:27 »

Radcliffe on Soar has been running for a few days now

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2023, 09:15:17 »

The government asked Drax to re open the coal fired plant earlier this year,
they are bringing coal in in biomas trucks, shh

Drewomega

• Aviemore and Mallorca
    • SKODA Octavia Scout 2.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2023, 12:11:57 »

I'm always last in the office in the morning but I make up for it by leaving first.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2023, 20:19:30 »

The government asked Drax to re open the coal fired plant earlier this year,
they are bringing coal in in biomas trucks, shh

Is it British Coal, or that stuff from the EU, or STH America bloody Brexit
Hoof'land storeman.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 January 2023, 22:58:27 »

A slight deviation so apologies to the OP, but I'm mulling fitting a woodburner/multi fuel and was checking out the prices of logs and coal the other day.

A local coal merchant had a notice on it's website that said that due to new regulations they are only allowed to deliver coal in open bags. Coal or smokeless oval/briquettes that are delivered in sealed plastic bags will have the bags slit open on delivery to comply with the regulations.   ::) 

What's that about?  ???  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 January 2023, 00:34:06 »

A slight deviation so apologies to the OP, but I'm mulling fitting a woodburner/multi fuel and was checking out the prices of logs and coal the other day.

A local coal merchant had a notice on it's website that said that due to new regulations they are only allowed to deliver coal in open bags. Coal or smokeless oval/briquettes that are delivered in sealed plastic bags will have the bags slit open on delivery to comply with the regulations.   ::) 

Interesting. I'm in the process of maybe replacing or maybe repairing our ancient solid fuel Rayburn.

I came across this . . . .

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/selling-coal-for-domestic-use-in-england

It's unclear if this covers what are called "Ovoids" which are permitted in my area. I'm not sure what they mean by "traditional house coal" I think this is the lumps of stuff as it comes from the ground. I now need to find out if any of this affects the Ovoids that are widely available.

I have gas water and central heating but I like the idea of additional solid fuel when you know exactly what you're spending and using. Yes, I know it's very un-trendy and frowned upon, but I like having an independent source of energy.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 January 2023, 01:05:14 »

We used to live in a village where there is no mains gas, so your options are :

Bottled gas
Oil
Electricity
Coal
Peat

Our house had a coal boiler and an open fireplace. We used to have power cuts every time it was a bit breezy. Which meant that quite often we would have heating and hot water, although the boiler had a mechanical timer, it relied on electricity to ignite. However, it did have a back up mechanical igniter. And the fire was used for cooking.

Suffice to say there's still a coal merchant in the village.
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 January 2023, 06:08:45 »

Just been playing with my google and the only thing that I can find is:

Q: How should I store my coal?

A: If you order it loose then ideally in a bunker or in a dry corner of your shed. If you order in pre-packed bags store them either in a garage/shed or under tarpaulin. Store away from prolonged spells of direct sunlight as this will cause the bags to become brittle. If you open a bag at least a day or two before use this should give your coal/smokeless fuel sufficient enough time to get the air to be dry enough for your fire.

There are other clues and I'm assuming that the bags are open so that the coal is not damp and  burns properly, so does not produce nasty fumes which are bad for the environment/you. Similar to only burning seasoned wood, I'm guessing.
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 January 2023, 09:15:53 »

Just checking there's no Coke or Heroin in it..👍
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 January 2023, 09:29:10 »

bagged ovals seem to be wet, nothing to do with selling you a pint or two of water at fuel price??

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 January 2023, 09:37:38 »

And the fact their are some rebates for those not using electric at peak hours means I don't believe the Grid when they say there is no worry about a supply disruption in the next few days.

Many power stations take days to actually start up.

I have a strange fascination with power stations, and have been lucky enough to have been on some great tours around them, including one of the stored hydros in Blaenau (no longer open for tours) into the real workings of it, and the nearby decommed nuclear at Trawsfynydd where we were allowed into the room above the react where they load fuel in.  Can you imagine that being allowed now?  And who can forget the OOF trip to Drax, that was a cracking day, with the old geezer overriding the tour bimbos about where we could and couldn't go ;D
Grumpy old man

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 January 2023, 10:17:54 »

That's peculiar , I'd be asking the supplier for a source of the regulations that state that requirement .
Over here in IE real black coal is unavailable and we are forced to burn the smokeless ovals .
These cost €35 a bag (£32ish) real coal was quoted to me at €46 a 40KG bag when it was believed that it would be available .  :o
Initially I was OK burning the smokeless stuff but during the recent cold snap I broke into my stash of real coal that I kept and was amazed at the difference of heat between the two.
The stove fans run at turbo speed when burning the real stuff but sort of tick over on the ovals .
I'm burning Ash timber at present so the output from the stoves is still acceptable .
My coal supplier is a good friend and he has told me that there is no available black coal but he believes that it has been withdrawn from the market using the Energy Crisis as a reason/excuse but it is actually been forced on IE by the EU to get us to comply with their emmissions target that IE has failed to meet year upon year .
I have noticed much more of the tell tale smell of peat /turf being burned as locals turn to suppliers who have decided to ignore the countrywide ban on turf cutting .
There is genuine hardship down here amongst the elderly who live on a single pension is houses that are old and inadaquetly insulated.
But hey , they may be cold but they're saving the planet ........

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 January 2023, 11:35:00 »

That's peculiar , I'd be asking the supplier for a source of the regulations that state that requirement .
Over here in IE real black coal is unavailable and we are forced to burn the smokeless ovals .
These cost €35 a bag (£32ish) real coal was quoted to me at €46 a 40KG bag when it was believed that it would be available .  :o
Initially I was OK burning the smokeless stuff but during the recent cold snap I broke into my stash of real coal that I kept and was amazed at the difference of heat between the two.
The stove fans run at turbo speed when burning the real stuff but sort of tick over on the ovals .
I'm burning Ash timber at present so the output from the stoves is still acceptable .
My coal supplier is a good friend and he has told me that there is no available black coal but he believes that it has been withdrawn from the market using the Energy Crisis as a reason/excuse but it is actually been forced on IE by the EU to get us to comply with their emmissions target that IE has failed to meet year upon year .
I have noticed much more of the tell tale smell of peat /turf being burned as locals turn to suppliers who have decided to ignore the countrywide ban on turf cutting .
There is genuine hardship down here amongst the elderly who live on a single pension is houses that are old and inadaquetly insulated.
But hey , they may be cold but they're saving the planet ........

Here it is, Don
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/selling-coal-for-domestic-use-in-england
Diesel till I die
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 18 queries.