Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Handbrake cable  (Read 5909 times)

Greenbay packer

• North Devon
    • View Profile
Re: Handbrake cable
« Reply #15 on: 19 February 2023, 16:19:56 »

Also, it one side isn't working, strip the handbrake mechanism inside the drum and clean it up.

That was an annual issue on my beloved Silver Bullet for some reason, never an issue on any of my other Omegas.

All is clean, free and working as it should be. I always clean the inside of the drums before adjusting and check the mechanism at the same time.

Greenbay packer

• North Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 February 2023, 16:21:10 »

I've not replaced a cable on my omega (done many carlton ones, same cable), but on astra ,one side outer cable is slightly longer

That's interesting, thanks.

Greenbay packer

• North Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 February 2023, 16:32:47 »

from what i can remember last time i fitted one the lengths are indeed different each side. either on the actual cable itself or the outer sheath.
the fact that the adjuster saddle isnt sitting square indicates a problem
either..
the cable is indeed handed and is the wrong war round.
the handbrake mechanism is wrongly adjusted or faulty otherwise.
the outer cable retainers are pulling through the eyes.this is a very common issue .the eyes are only a curl of metal rather than a solid ring.

Interesting, thanks, particularly if there is a difference in the cables or the sheaths as this may explain it, but there's no mention of any difference in Haynes. I may have to pick up a cheap one and lay it out on the ground (or the living room carpet if the wife's out!) just to satisfy my own curiosity. Pretty sure the retainers aren't pulling through the eyes as I had a good look along the cable when the car was on the ramp for the MOT.

Greenbay packer

• North Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 February 2023, 16:39:02 »

When I replaced the snapped cable on my estate, I had to bend the outer cable retaining rings back into shape/alignment. Then it was just a matter of adjusting it correctly - slacken cable, adjust the brake shoes and then the cable. That would have been a lot easier if the designers weren't German, and fitted the compensator inside the car.

Interesting, when I get a chance I'll check the alignment of the retaining rings in case they have been bent as this could effectively alter the length of the cable.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 February 2023, 17:07:52 »

Just compared a brand new QH branded omega /carlton cable from my hoard  :-X
one sides cable is 15mm longer ,get it the wrong way round on the car and that doubles the difference (30mm ish)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 February 2023, 09:51:57 »

The calipers are in the same position relative to the lever so they should be the same.

However, unless it's snapped, then adjustment might be a better solution.

Should be, or are?
If they are routed slightly differently side to side, then they could well be different lengths.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 February 2023, 10:17:26 »

The calipers are in the same position relative to the lever so they should be the same.

Should be, or are?
If they are routed slightly differently side to side, then they could well be different lengths.
They go from the centre of the car to each wheel. I say should be, because geometrically it makes sense and I am not going to buy an Omega to measure it.

Feel free to measure your cables and report back.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Greenbay packer

• North Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 February 2023, 10:59:44 »

Just compared a brand new QH branded omega /carlton cable from my hoard  :-X
one sides cable is 15mm longer ,get it the wrong way round on the car and that doubles the difference (30mm ish)

That is very interesting and would probably be enough to explain my issues and why the compensator bar doesn't sit nicely when adjusted. If this is deliberate and not just inconsistent manufacturing I'm surprised there's not a lot of info saying which side to fit the longer length to.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 February 2023, 11:07:43 »

sounds like over use of the handbrake  ;D ;D (assuming the car has a proper gearbox with PARK  ::))

In all the 30-odd years of owing autos with a disc/drum set-up at the back I've yet to even see the shoes let alone need to replace or adjust a handbrake cable  ;) ;)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20 February 2023, 11:48:08 »

sounds like over use of the handbrake  ;D ;D (assuming the car has a proper gearbox with PARK  ::))

In all the 30-odd years of owing autos with a disc/drum set-up at the back I've yet to even see the shoes let alone need to replace or adjust a handbrake cable  ;) ;)

You need evenly adjusted handbrake shoes for the all important handbrake turns. You know, for those times when you spot the turning that you need a little too late but you have nobody behind you and you just know from experience that performing a handbrake turn will get you the desired angle to make that turn in time.  :y  With poorly set shoes in the hubs you’d end up dragging just one rear tyre and then it looks silly.  ;D
Of course, I can’t do that now as I have the electronic park brake on our vehicles. How boring is that.  ::)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 20 February 2023, 12:02:39 »

You need evenly adjusted handbrake shoes for the all important handbrake turns. You know, for those times when you spot the turning that you need a little too late but you have nobody behind you and you just know from experience that performing a handbrake turn will get you the desired angle to make that turn in time.  :y  With poorly set shoes in the hubs you’d end up dragging just one rear tyre and then it looks silly.  ;D
Of course, I can’t do that now as I have the electronic park brake on our vehicles. How boring is that.  ::)

;D ;D ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20 February 2023, 13:06:49 »

Reformed you say :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 February 2023, 13:10:59 »

Of all the Omega's I've owned, not one of them had enough snatch on the handbrake to manage a 1 point turn in any road I ever tried. Apparently.
Grumpy old man

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 February 2023, 17:08:13 »

Should be, or are?
They go from the centre of the car to each wheel. I say should be, because geometrically it makes sense and I am not going to buy an Omega to measure it.

Feel free to measure your cables and report back.

Looks like Dave the Builder has already done the measuring in post #19, confirming they are different lengths. Should be, could be, ought to be, maybe, possibly, OR good old fashioned measuring.... :y ;D
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 20 February 2023, 23:36:28 »

not sure on an estate but im pretty sure the compensator/saddle on a saloon is on the outside ,under the shields.
but again as mentioned earlier,if the saddle isnt straight then theres an uneven pull somewhere.my moneys on the cable being the wrong way round.(ie the op says the rear shoes are adjusted up correct each side and the levers that the cable hooks onto are in the same relative places.so the difference causing the saddle to not sit straight must be in the cable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 18 queries.