Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Welding  (Read 2868 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Welding
« on: 27 March 2023, 13:20:26 »

Hi guys. Long time no speak. Not been about for a while. Been so busy with work.

Anyway omega needs some TLC. Rear outer sills rotted. And inner wheel arches. And panel that forms side of the inner boot… all roughly the same on both sides. Anyway my welding skills are to a point I can do this myself. But just gonna take me a while. Car’s been SORNd but I keep running it and making sure brakes don’t stick on etc.

The warmer weather is coming so starting to think about prepping.

My question is this… I want a real sturdy place to put stands. It’s gonna have to sit on them for a while. I remember when gixer did my rear springs ears ago he had them somewhere either side of the diff. Obviously want to keep sills free so I can easily move around them.

TIA guys
RIP Paul Lovejoy

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Welding
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2023, 16:09:45 »

You have spring ears? Do you find it difficult to keep your head on the ground when laying sideways under a car? Or do you keep bouncing your bonce off the underside?  ;D
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2023, 16:14:08 »

Ah, no, of course. Your upper ear spring would prevent you hitting the car, so you'd just oscillate for a while until you settled down.  ;D
Diesel till I die

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 March 2023, 16:42:00 »

You have spring ears? Do you find it difficult to keep your head on the ground when laying sideways under a car? Or do you keep bouncing your bonce off the underside?  ;D

;D ;D

24 people had read that post and politely ignored the spelling error, myself included. If I had to wager who would home in on it I’d have been right on the money.  :y ;D
I’m imagining Webby’s head bouncing up and down now.  ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2023, 16:43:24 »

Give yer ead a wobble lad  ;D
Diesel till I die

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2023, 18:47:32 »

Dont forget to chock the front wheels. :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 March 2023, 21:39:21 »

Hi guys. Long time no speak. Not been about for a while. Been so busy with work.

Anyway omega needs some TLC. Rear outer sills rotted. And inner wheel arches. And panel that forms side of the inner boot… all roughly the same on both sides. Anyway my welding skills are to a point I can do this myself. But just gonna take me a while. Car’s been SORNd but I keep running it and making sure brakes don’t stick on etc.

The warmer weather is coming so starting to think about prepping.

My question is this… I want a real sturdy place to put stands. It’s gonna have to sit on them for a while. I remember when gixer did my rear springs ears ago he had them somewhere either side of the diff. Obviously want to keep sills free so I can easily move around them.

TIA guys
Do you have a pair of knackered rear diff mounts?

What you can do is jack the car using the plates at the front of the rear subframe.

Start by driving it forward onto ramps.
Jack the rear using the plates under the donut bushes. Then use a length of 75/75 or 100/100 fence post that is a bit longer than the width of the rear diff mounts. (you could also use a length of scaffold pole for the same purpose as it could be tacked to the rear diff mounts).
Jack this in the middle and place sturdy axle stands under the rear diff mounts.
You should then be able to safely remove the rear wheels, sill covers rear bumpers and drop the donut bushes to lower the front of the rear subframe to allow clear access for cutting/welding purposes.

Also, don't forget to strip the rear seat and boot areas and support the wiring harnesses away from the body.

Ideally, if you have access, then a four post lift with a centre scissor lift will enable you to do the above with a greater degree of safety :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 March 2023, 21:48:40 »

As an aside, if you're going to the trouble of doing this, you could replace the rear quarter panels, especially if they're rotted out behind the bumper. They aren't too bad to remove and it will give you better access to the nooks and crannies, especially if you need to be doing anything to the inner wheel arches ;)

Might be worth grabbing a lower mileage front end damaged car from Copart/similar for the panels rather than fabricating patches all over the place.

I know that might be a left field suggestion, but it's your car and you either put in the time, effort, or you move on to something else IMHO :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 April 2023, 13:35:43 »

Thanks all for comments… even you STE-hoMO 🤣🤣

Thanks for all that DG. I can weld but I’m not good enough to chop and change rear quarters properly. My methods gonna be… any place my screw driver goes thru and / or looks questionable is getting plated 🤣 not being lazy. I just don’t have fab skills. I’ve done plenty of sills at work (mainly transit connects 🤦‍♂️) but I’ll be doing this on the drive.

But totally take your point about doing it properly. 😃👍

And thanks for info on stands. Much appreciated. DG if u pm me ur nombre I’ll shout some photos over when it’s done (I’d put them on here but since photo bucket went I’m not technical enough to do that 🤣🤣🤣
Cheers boys 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 April 2023, 13:36:59 »

*shoot some photos over 😃
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 April 2023, 14:24:33 »

I think you may still have it, or at least my email  :y

Re the panels, I might sound like alot of work, but in reality it isn't.

Firstly the rear quarter is spot welded to the C plilar behind the trim, along the boot shut to the inner wing (possibly don't know without looking), to the rear panel and the boot floor (seam is obvious with the bumper of), glued to the rear inner arch (before it rusted out) and a handful up the rear door shut.

Much easier to plug weld and seam seal than to bodywork patch panels :y

The only additional work is removing/replacing the rear screen to access the bottom corner where the quarter meets the parcel shelf.

And you don't have the complication of accident damage before the new panels fit.

And did I mention that it will significantly improve access to the inner arches for you  ;)

It might seem like more work because it's a bigger area, but it should me more efficient, and therefore easier, especially given your circumstances  :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 April 2023, 18:13:36 »

You make it sound so simple.

It isn't.

And where are you going to get new quarters for a <20 year old car?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 April 2023, 18:21:44 »

It took a couple of days work to swap out and paint a complete quarter on my white estate. The saloon is a bit more fiddly because of the rear screen.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 April 2023, 21:17:00 »

Thanks boys. Much appreciated. I’m gonna stick to my original plan. Only cos changing quarters ibe never done and I am so dense it can only go wrong 🤣🤣🤣
I’m starting Friday. Getting that bumper off and making a start 😃😃😃😃😃😃 wish me luck lol
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 April 2023, 21:42:55 »

Evening gays. I mean guys. Hope you’re all well.

Got OSR outer sill welded up, painted and covered in plenty of poo 💩 at the weekend 😃😃😃 I’d have loved to have spent all bank holiday doing it but ‘er indoors wouldn’t be happy. Happy wife happy life! 😎🤣🤣🤣
welding is far from my best but wind kept blowing gas. But it’s not going anywhere. I’ve stupidly “extended” the sill a few millimetres too far 🤣 so I might have a problem fitting arch liner and sill cover but I’ll figure that out nearer time. Got so much more to do before it’s going in for mot.

So got exactly the same repair on the NS. I then have two small patches to weld in on both sides at the front. Then where boot floor meets the wing is rotten. Shape looks a bit of a sod. But if I can get that right it’ll be a lovely repair.
And finally spare wheel well. Rotten where it meets the wing.

So plenty to be getting on with 😃

If I had to guess.. I reckon June it’ll be finished. Like I said I’d love to just sorbs every minute on it but not gonna happen sadly. But. Good start 😃
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.