Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Welding  (Read 3004 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: Welding
« Reply #15 on: 11 April 2023, 21:46:48 »

Oh and…

When it rains the spare wheel well has a pool of water in it. I’ll have to get the hose out when it’s nice and see where that’s getting in. Joy  ::) unless it’s getting in between bumper and wing and seeping thru the rot. 🤷‍♂️ problems for another day. 😃

I’ve been running it and moving it to stop brakes seizing on. God it’s comfy. My daily is a fiesta which I love bombing round in. But nothing beats the omega. It’s like sitting in arm chairs 😎😎😎😎😎😎
RIP Paul Lovejoy

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 April 2023, 17:24:43 »

its quite fun relay isnt it but try watching a youtube channel called       yorkshire car restoration     he makes repairs look very easy but does show a lot of detail .and one thing he does is not to try to make a repair piece all from one bit .but to build them up in stages . after watching a few of his videos i guarantee you will want to remake all of your previous repairs again.its that addictive !

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 April 2023, 17:26:43 »

and yes you may find that the boot water is from rot behind the bumper, lip seal ,tail lights or sometimes they can rust though the double skinned bit between bottom of rear window and the drain channel.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 April 2023, 18:26:11 »

This is a good youtube site to watch. He goes into detail how to do repair panels, the easy way with the minimum of tools.  He is also on Facebook. Alot of people have said, that they wouldn't of done repairs before they had seen his channel.

https://www.youtube.com/@fitzeesfabrications
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 April 2023, 19:52:51 »

Hi boys. That’s for your replies.

cam, I’ve seen the Yorkshire restoration. Very very expert repairs. And addy I’ve not seen fitzy fabrications. I’ll check them out 😃

Seeing these sorts of experts do repairs, I hold my hand up and say I could never do them as good as that. My objective is to make a repair that’s structurally sound. I’m not too bothered about aesthetics personally cos it’s a.) behind covers and b.) covered in 80kg of poo 💩 🤣🤣🤣

Speaking of poo… that is one area I do excel… covering stuff in silicone or grease 🤣🤣🤣
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 April 2023, 19:55:23 »

and yes you may find that the boot water is from rot behind the bumper, lip seal ,tail lights or sometimes they can rust though the double skinned bit between bottom of rear window and the drain channel.

Thanks cam. The water is sat in spare wheel well. It seems to emanate from the shock tower. But rather than dripping down from the top, it just seems to be from the bottom. So I’m hoping I’ll have sorted that when I weld it up. But who knows 🤣 this car has a habit of taking one repair and adding extra ones Willy nilly haha
RIP Paul Lovejoy

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 April 2023, 22:54:44 »

I just drilled a hole at the bottom of the spare well on my Desmond.  :-[  It was on borrowed time anyway, after the tvvat who was visiting a neighbour up the road left the handbrake of his Astra off, which resulted in mine being written off.  >:(

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 April 2023, 17:32:07 »

tracing water leaks is always a pain. ive spent many times in a boot whilst being hosepiped and sometimes its not where you would think.
but yes finish the repairs and then see .may be sorted.
dont be putoff too much by saying that the youtube guys are way better than you.  they do jt for a living and have all the gear but it certainly helps to give guidance and ideas.its only bent metal after all and its taught me many things, the main being ' dont try to make a repair section out of one piece if you cant.often its easier and neater to make several profiles .
the areas you are now doing are typical omega ones ,rear of sills,inside door shut,inside arch behind plastic cover,inner panel (to seat base !) but as ive said many times ,omegas dont rust anywhere as bad as most 60's-80's cars and never to the point of being unrepairable.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.