Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Channel tunnel and crossings hold ups.  (Read 3737 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Channel tunnel and crossings hold ups.
« on: 04 July 2015, 11:12:15 »

Am I the only person that is outraged by the wholesale disruptions over the last days ? Firstly by striking French ferry workers and then by an all out assault on the tunnel by migrants.

It is estimated to be costing £250,000,000 a day and of course the consumer will foot that bill.

I am not against industrial action e.g. withdrawal of labour as a protest against changes to wages/working practices but I think a line needs to be drawn against the effect on British consumers, truckers and so on. Not saying foreign truckers and consumers aren't important.

We should have been banging on the French governments door and insisting troops were brought in. Burning tyres on Eurostar rail track by ferry workers in my mind is a criminal act.

I am however not sure how you deal with the migrant issue.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

05omegav6

Re: Channel tunnel and crossings hold ups.
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2015, 11:33:18 »

There are viable suggestions, but they might be considered inhumane...

There should be a shoot on sight order in the tunnel regardless of what is going on outside it :-X

Guessing Dunkirk is busy though :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2015, 16:01:32 »

Who cares?  Its a French company with a French problem, let the French sort it out.

Of course, any Brit considering using Le Shuttle needs their head examined anyway ;)
Grumpy old man

The Sheriff

« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2015, 16:08:05 »

Le French workers of any description, ferry workers, farmers, even taxi drivers seem to have carte blanche to do as they like.
Taxi drivers in gay Paris were pulling uber drivers from their cars and attacking them last week. The official response? Ban uber.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2015, 16:23:25 »

Who cares?  Its a French company with a French problem, let the French sort it out.

Of course, any Brit considering using Le Shuttle needs their head examined anyway ;)

I don't understand that response. I also dare say the hundreds (thousands?) of lorry drivers stuck on the British motorway - parked waiting, wouldn't understand it either. My point is that in this day and age the authorities ouight to be arresting strikers damaging another companies infrastructure and business.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2015, 16:26:49 »

15 years ago a 7 day wait to clear customs was not uncommon.
The simple reason,why when the ferry or train gets stopped or delayed,and chaos happens is Gt Britain plc imports so much, and it comes by road.
 A simple thing for you all the shuttle takes 36 trucks every 30 mins.
P+o have 25 crossings a day approx 150 trucks per crossing.
Within 2 hrs its Jammed up.
The British have a system which works operation stack.
Jolly foreigner the French don't, well they do its everyman for him self.

Also most of the gendarmes are in the same union,
Hoof'land storeman.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2015, 16:35:59 »

Its always the poxy French causing the chaos >:(. The mayor of Calais says its our problem. Would we be able to call it his problem if the migrants were trying to get to france? No a chance. Time for the EU to get the French authorities to sort things out or we will pull out of the EU. Oh wait, we could be anyway :y

Keith B

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2015, 16:53:29 »

15 years ago a 7 day wait to clear customs was not uncommon.
The simple reason,why when the ferry or train gets stopped or delayed,and chaos happens is Gt Britain plc imports so much, and it comes by road.
 A simple thing for you all the shuttle takes 36 trucks every 30 mins.
P+o have 25 crossings a day approx 150 trucks per crossing.
Within 2 hrs its Jammed up.
The British have a system which works operation stack.
Jolly foreigner the French don't, well they do its everyman for him self.

That's works in its very loosest sense, in that the lorries waiting to go abroad are under some sort of control. But they do that by closing the motorway which was built to keep the traffic moving, and put all the traffic back into towns like Maidstone. And as a result, anywhere south of M20 J6, or the M2 J4 is a complete mess.

The cost of Op Stack is horrendous, and should be charged to the ports/ferry operators/chunnel and the French. These organisations would soon be looking at resolving the 'problem' if it was hitting them that hard in the wallet.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 July 2015, 18:24:44 »

The best response might be for the UK to boycott France and hope it gives them a reality check.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

The Sheriff

« Reply #9 on: 04 July 2015, 18:26:28 »

The best response might be for the UK to boycott France and hope it gives them a reality check.  :)
Unfortunately, if we boycott France, we also boycott most of Europe. We have to travel through France to get to there, you see.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 July 2015, 18:29:35 »

Oh no you don't. Ive seen a fair bit of Europe and Ive never been to France in my life.  ;)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

The Sheriff

« Reply #11 on: 04 July 2015, 18:33:10 »

Oh no you don't. Ive seen a fair bit of Europe and Ive never been to France in my life.  ;)
So you meant boycotting it as a holiday destination? I see.
But how would the poor gendarmerie afford to feed their families if they can't tax British drivers?

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 July 2015, 18:36:23 »

Why would anyone want to holiday in France when Italy isn't that much further ?  :o :D ;D..............I mean boycotting it in every conceivable way. They cant stand the British unless they are taking their money or being rescued from tyranny by them. ;)

The Sheriff

« Reply #13 on: 04 July 2015, 18:39:58 »

So....tell them to stuff their aircraft carriers. Good idea. :y

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 July 2015, 18:51:46 »

It always seems to have been the way.Before the tunnel striking Frenchmen would build barricades/set fire to trucks and all sorts of stuff at the ferry ports.Nowadays of course they have to do similar to the tunnel at the same time as at the ports.What does the French government do about it?Why they do the same as they've always done-absolutely jack!!and no doubt they'll continue to do the same in future.On a personal level I don't care whether the tunnel ever re-opens or the ferry ports for that matter as I'm not about to go to or through France.On a commercial level of course we need these points open and working.The French government should be forced to pay compensation to businesses that suffer under such circumstances.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.