Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: advice please  (Read 4523 times)

05omegav6

Re: advice please
« Reply #30 on: 21 February 2015, 18:20:32 »

If you're only doing five miles each way then anything you drive will be horrendously inefficient... This is due to the extra fuel that's pumped in to help warm the engine up... Engine won't get close to warmed up by the time you get to work... Being a 2 ton car, with a lightly powered engine won't help matters any.

Even a clit van will return half the advertised mpg on a five mile trip from cold...

I would suggest lpg to help with costs, but it won't help as it doesn't work without heat, so your commute will always be on petrol...
« Last Edit: 21 February 2015, 18:32:40 by Taxi Al »

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21 February 2015, 18:43:15 »

My 2.5 petrol elite 97 used to average 23 mpg and 23 mph average year on year. A lot of that was short journeys and being left idling.

« Last Edit: 21 February 2015, 18:47:13 by Varche »
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 21 February 2015, 19:12:13 »

You have an interesting list of previous cars  ;)

Gearbox software update would not be a recall, would only be done if requested or to try to resolve a fault.  It basically just irons out glitches in the box's behaviour.

I have an ECU here with the latest software, if you check the part number and ident code on yours (it's behind the kick panel with the bonnet release handle) we could see if it's a straight replacement.

MPG-wise on a manual, I usually see mid 20's round the town and also..

My 3L manual was quite easily be persuaded to give just over 30mpg on my old 15 mile each way trip to work.  On a motorway run cruising at 70 it will hit just under 40mpg, and that's with a 3.9:1 diff instead of the correct 3.7:1 diff for a manual V6.
« Last Edit: 21 February 2015, 19:14:00 by sjc »
If you Elite an MV6, does that make it an MVee-leet?

Magwheels

• Intermediate Member
    • 2.2 dti Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21 February 2015, 21:42:14 »

5 miles away?

What you need is twist n go scooter....100mpg plus  :y

But you get wet  :(
yeah would be cheaper , but since married i am now a big fat an bold old bloke , dont even think a scooter would cope with my 18 stone ,

;D ;D ;D

Now that made me chuckle :y :y :y

I might add my 2.2 Dti is averaging 38.7mpg now its winter on a commute of 24 miles through lanes and traffic.

It does slightly more in Summer, about 7-8mpg more than my 2.5td, and I used to really try with that one. It doesn't sound much difference but work out the percentage and its quite a bit and I drive this without trying to be economical.

Slow as a very slow thing though!!

drinksoptional

• Scotland
    • 98 3.0 elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 22 February 2015, 15:50:43 »

When its not juddering its way along the road  mpg is not bad on motorway or around town . Just takes fits when in fourth if there is any  inclines  stick it in sports mode to raise revs  help stop it or  give more gas pedal to encourage k7ck down  in gearbox   pita  .  Think it part oil in sparkplugs from rocker gaskst and old leads n sparks .
Hard to find a manual  v6   i do like the autobox  despite is quirks  is lazy driving
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.