Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wheel Alignment  (Read 754 times)

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
Wheel Alignment
« on: 26 March 2007, 11:43:19 »

Happening on Saturday morning at a garage in Newbury - they said they know about the Omega and its requirements - having 4 new tyres put on my new elite wheels on Thurs, so I'll get them on it before I take it down.

He said they just charge labour for the job, £24/30 mins - £48/60 mins - he was asking whether it was just the front tyres that we're wearing on in the inside, to which I replied yes and that it pulls like a horse to the left.. Also said that sometimes things get seized on - I take he's talking about the track rod ends?  As I've changed the wishbones, I've had pretty much all the other nuts off. I take it he'll also be able to see if any other bushes are busted.

Anything I need to watch for when they're doing it?

Cheers,

Chris.
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::
To Do   - :: Facelift Rear Bumper, Door Mouldings :: Irsmsher Front Air Da

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel Alignment
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2007, 11:50:09 »

Happening on Saturday morning at a garage in Newbury - they said they know about the Omega and its requirements - having 4 new tyres put on my new elite wheels on Thurs, so I'll get them on it before I take it down.

He said they just charge labour for the job, £24/30 mins - £48/60 mins - he was asking whether it was just the front tyres that we're wearing on in the inside, to which I replied yes and that it pulls like a horse to the left.. Also said that sometimes things get seized on - I take he's talking about the track rod ends?  As I've changed the wishbones, I've had pretty much all the other nuts off. I take it he'll also be able to see if any other bushes are busted.

Cheers,

Chris.

The track rods do seize. WD40 then (front and rear) daily until done.

With the Omega, its not just about getting it 'within spec'. For example, spec for front camber is from around -1 to -2.5 degrees (very approx).  However, it seems that around 1o10' is near to a good setting (ie right at the end of the scale).  Its not just a case of the gauge going green ;)
Grumpy old man

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2007, 11:54:25 »

Cheers,

Chris.

The track rods do seize. WD40 then (front and rear) daily until done.

With the Omega, its not just about getting it 'within spec'. For example, spec for front camber is from around -1 to -2.5 degrees (very approx).  However, it seems that around 1o10' is near to a good setting (ie right at the end of the scale).  Its not just a case of the gauge going green ;)

Hmm, I wish I understood this stuff better!  I'll take this along with me and tell them that you are the overriding authority on this matter (after seeing your car is used as the base at wheels-in-motion!)
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2007, 12:09:27 »

Its not simply a case of using my settings, which I would happily post up with WIM's permission, but the technician looking at your car and understanding it.  My settings have been tweaked for my car (remember MV6 is slightly lowered/stiffened), and for my driving style.  WIM checked the tyre wear, and tweaked a couple of thousand miles later to fine tune to the wear.  My wear was, with the exception of something at went wrong and killed a tyre), very even across the tyre width.  That is a good sign, and shows tyres were in good contact.  Its also about understanding what happens when the car rides bumps or corners heavily, as all the angles will change.

Its a hugely complex subject, esp trying to understand what happens when the suspension and steering is moving.  Its not as simple as just copying some settings. Sure they can be used as a base, but will need tweaking later.  Thats why WIM do a free checkup at 2k, just to fine tune.

If you haven't already, see http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk and if in doubt contact them, either here (member name: Wheels-InMotion) or via their forum.
Grumpy old man

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2007, 12:15:55 »

Its not simply a case of using my settings, which I would happily post up with WIM's permission, but the technician looking at your car and understanding it.  My settings have been tweaked for my car (remember MV6 is slightly lowered/stiffened), and for my driving style.  WIM checked the tyre wear, and tweaked a couple of thousand miles later to fine tune to the wear.  My wear was, with the exception of something at went wrong and killed a tyre), very even across the tyre width.  That is a good sign, and shows tyres were in good contact.  Its also about understanding what happens when the car rides bumps or corners heavily, as all the angles will change.

Its a hugely complex subject, esp trying to understand what happens when the suspension and steering is moving.  Its not as simple as just copying some settings. Sure they can be used as a base, but will need tweaking later.  Thats why WIM do a free checkup at 2k, just to fine tune.

If you haven't already, see http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk and if in doubt contact them, either here (member name: Wheels-InMotion) or via their forum.

Cheers TB. At least now I'll be going in there with some knowledge of what it actually is.. If they're no good I'll bite the bullet and get up to Watford..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.