Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sale`s Calls  (Read 2536 times)

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
Sale`s Calls
« on: 25 March 2007, 21:00:34 »

After reading a post on here about sales Calls I thought I would tell you about a sky Call I had.

Answered the phone and a guy said "hello i am john from Sky Tv"

So i stopped him and asked "Are you selling anything" he said no
so i said fine how can i help you ?

He asked would i like Sky cable internet acess from sky

for free i asked

no its $$$$$ A month

I said hang on you are trying to sell me somthing

no i am not he replied so i just hung up on him

I hate sales calls

Craig
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Re: Sale`s Calls
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2007, 21:20:28 »

...and so do i hate sales calls  :(

Always just ask tghem to repeat themselves, again and again anad again and.... :y
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2007, 21:32:49 »

try to sell them double glazed windows :D

Martin_1962

« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2007, 22:47:55 »

I always try to sell double glazing firm software - that gets rid of them (as used by such and such)

Sky are fun, one of them tried to sell me something called Skyplus :-?, saying how wonderfull it was, (apparently it is like a PVR for Sky but costs money to use rather than buy it and free to use) however I countered with my Pace Twin and had the salesdroid off checking the Pace Free to view web site!!

It seems that Sky salesdroids know little about Freeview and PVRs ;D

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 March 2007, 23:13:55 »

This is the standard conversation between Sky TV and me:

- Hello, this is a courtesy call from Sky TV, how do you find our channels?
- Donnow, the kids watch them, don't have time myself, haven't a clue what they're like
- We have a special offer, for just £5 per month you can add three more channels...
- Listen, they watch too much TV as it is, how about I give you a fiver and you take off a few channels?
- Err... I can't do that sir....
- So you can't help me then?
- I'm afraid not... thank you for your time and have a nice day

;D

« Last Edit: 25 March 2007, 23:14:21 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2007, 10:01:10 »

I always try to sell double glazing firm software - that gets rid of them (as used by such and such)

Sky are fun, one of them tried to sell me something called Skyplus :-?, saying how wonderfull it was, (apparently it is like a PVR for Sky but costs money to use rather than buy it and free to use) however I countered with my Pace Twin and had the salesdroid off checking the Pace Free to view web site!!

Skyplus is ideal if you want Sky.  It also works better than Pace due to a quicker and more robust guide.  However, if all you want is the bbc/itv/ch4/ch5/nazi channel (UK History), then Sky is awfully expensive.

Personally, I use MS Media Center, and I'm surprised a techie like you Martin doesn't.  Not only is it quad tunered (soon to be 6 tuners), but allows 'extenders' (such as xbox) to view in different rooms. View your pictures, and a music store. Being PC based, lots of good software, such as Webguide which allows you set a recording from anywhere with a net connection...   ...check it out Martin ;)
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2007, 10:49:24 »

Skyplus is ideal if you want Sky.  It also works better than Pace due to a quicker and more robust guide.  However, if all you want is the bbc/itv/ch4/ch5/nazi channel (UK History), then Sky is awfully expensive.

Personally, I use MS Media Center, and I'm surprised a techie like you Martin doesn't.  Not only is it quad tunered (soon to be 6 tuners), but allows 'extenders' (such as xbox) to view in different rooms. View your pictures, and a music store. Being PC based, lots of good software, such as Webguide which allows you set a recording from anywhere with a net connection...   ...check it out Martin ;)

Partly room, partly not having the need, partly cost, also no cards around when I had the need, I have had DTTV for nearly 7 1/2 years.

My PVR is so simple to use even the children can use it.

Sometimes a well written & designed U/I makes a product

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 March 2007, 11:15:16 »

My PVR is so simple to use even the children can use it.

Sometimes a well written & designed U/I makes a product
I agree that the interface makes it - hence why I think MCE is brilliant.  Mrs TheBoy finds it simple, and has no trouble recording, deleting, copying a recording to DVD. She is even happy to use the webpage that allows you to set a recording from work etc.  And, if for some reason it can't record, it will attempt to reschedule stuff so that it does record.

For those that haven't seen MCE, the guide/recording section is virtually identical to Sky+

The Pace one (or at least the one my mum has) is a bit clunky for recording, and searching guide is a problem, not helped by a touchy IR receiver (she has a large living room, so that may be problem).
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2007, 12:02:15 »

For those that haven't seen MCE, the guide/recording section is virtually identical to Sky+

The Pace one (or at least the one my mum has) is a bit clunky for recording, and searching guide is a problem, not helped by a touchy IR receiver (she has a large living room, so that may be problem).

Firstly haven't seen Sky+ guide

Secondly is this the Pace Twin PVR, if so, it may be worth getting a new remote as the buttons wear out (getting one this week as two are knackered now)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2007, 12:13:38 »

Secondly is this the Pace Twin PVR, if so, it may be worth getting a new remote as the buttons wear out (getting one this week as two are knackered now)
Yes, thats the one she has.

She doesn't use the Pace RC much, as she doesn't like the clutter, so she uses her B&O TV one (yes, I know, bloody B&O. Still better than Sony junk though).  However, the Pace RC is as bad, hence why I said its the IR receiver...
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #10 on: 26 March 2007, 12:49:28 »

She doesn't use the Pace RC much, as she doesn't like the clutter, so she uses her B&O TV one (yes, I know, bloody B&O. Still better than Sony junk though).  However, the Pace RC is as bad, hence why I said its the IR receiver...

B&O usually over priced!  - I know you have had bad dealings with Sony but I haven't!!!!

Where is the box located?

Can you move the sensor slightly?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2007, 12:57:16 »

B&O usually over priced!  - I know you have had bad dealings with Sony but I haven't!!!!

Where is the box located?

Can you move the sensor slightly?
Everyone I know now with a Wega CRT is now unhappy for some reason. Mainly failure, some soft tube (unsurprising with default factory settings), rest are the well known geometry, focus, and scrolling bar (100Hz only) issues.  My previous Sony (a 10yr old 4:3 25" screen) is still OK ish, getting old now though, though still miles better than my 5yr old Wega.  Old Sony stuff was worth the extra, anything in the last 5 yrs certainly isn't.

Her Pace isn't at an ideal angle, and not possible to move, but I would still expect it to work well.  Saying that, I have a Pioneer HDD/DVD recorder, and that is really fussy, but that is the remote end, not receiver...
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #12 on: 26 March 2007, 15:24:59 »

I see so mine splits the difference in age, the early Wegas were good

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 March 2007, 18:35:20 »

The human setup up ones, that were not 100Hz were OK. Not brilliant, but reasonable.  The machine set up ones, and the 100Hz were poor, not just due to the machine setup, but also poor design.

Shame any pre problematic Wega will now have a shot tube ;)
Grumpy old man

sir moanalot

• Omega Knight
  • fens
  • im like an expensive watch - i get wound up easily
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 March 2007, 20:14:38 »

i had a call left on my answer machine today detailing how i needed to talk about raising my tablets quota and to have my legs checked.
with the name mentioned aswell, i contacted the surgery to tell them they had rang the wrong number, and as it was my own doctors i decided to confirm my number. they told me they couldnt discuss my details over the phone.? - only strangers details though!!!!!
yet another miserable day in rip off britain !!!

Martin_1962

« Reply #15 on: 26 March 2007, 21:28:46 »

The human setup up ones, that were not 100Hz were OK. Not brilliant, but reasonable.  The machine set up ones, and the 100Hz were poor, not just due to the machine setup, but also poor design.

Stir stir!!!!

You know I've checked with DVE ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 March 2007, 21:33:51 »

Stir stir!!!!

You know I've checked with DVE ;D
Trust me, its shot.  With the riduculus factory settings, its shot after two years.  Every tube is shot before 5yrs with an average of 2hrs a day. Go to your service menu, and tell me number of hours. More than 2500, and its gone.  About 1000 hrs if if is on Sony's daft factory settings.

Seeing as the last of the reasonable Wegas went out of production about 7yrs ago, I'm guessing yours has had some use.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 March 2007, 22:39:09 »

Trust me, its shot.  With the riduculus factory settings, its shot after two years.

Which factory settings, out of interest?
Do you mean there's something that accelerates tube demise?

I've got a 6 year old one that seems to be holding up OK. Was never perfect from the factory, TBH. Pretty poor H linearity at the edges of picture and a bit of colour silliness on one corner but I got it seriously cheap as a factory refurb so wasn't that bothered. Power supply went pop once and repaired under warranty.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 March 2007, 08:52:46 »

Trust me, its shot.  With the riduculus factory settings, its shot after two years.

Which factory settings, out of interest?
Do you mean there's something that accelerates tube demise?

I've got a 6 year old one that seems to be holding up OK. Was never perfect from the factory, TBH. Pretty poor H linearity at the edges of picture and a bit of colour silliness on one corner but I got it seriously cheap as a factory refurb so wasn't that bothered. Power supply went pop once and repaired under warranty.

Kevin
Brightness and contrast nr 100%, to make it look good in the shop.

Picture geometry on these is appalling, compounded by a design flaw on the PSU (it ain't big enough), that cannot be successfully adjusted out.  The colour patches can be dialled out usually.  Do you have focus issues around the edges as well - shows up on DVD film credits or teletetx - another common issue that cannot be successfully adjusted properly.
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #19 on: 27 March 2007, 09:16:28 »

I run mine with the brightness cranked right down, DVD titles look fine, got a small geometry issue in one place but it is very minor.

Hours - I reckon 15000 - 20000 roughly, colour seperation is still good, resolution still appears quite good.

Definately not shot

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 March 2007, 09:19:50 »

I run mine with the brightness cranked right down, DVD titles look fine, got a small geometry issue in one place but it is very minor.

Hours - I reckon 15000 - 20000 roughly, colour seperation is still good, resolution still appears quite good.

Definately not shot
It is - if you had a newer one for a while, then went back, you would see it...

The lower brightness setting will have prolonged tube life :y

But nobody has ever made a tube that lives beyond 5yrs under normal use...
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #21 on: 27 March 2007, 12:23:46 »

Definately not shot

Been to shop - oh look no Trinitron Wegas!

Compared to my LCD bedroom/caravan one. Tube still better colour.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 March 2007, 12:36:42 »

Definately not shot

Been to shop - oh look no Trinitron Wegas!

Compared to my LCD bedroom/caravan one. Tube still better colour.
I've noticed a lot of portable LCDs in the last 18 months look really washed out.  Earlier ones are so much better for some reason on smaller screens.  Shame, as I'm looking to a 17" with DVD player and DVB for the kitchen....

Mind you, the fact there are no Trinitron Wegas is no bad thing!  Also, not sure if you noticed, many smaller TV places stopped selling Sony, as Sony UK refused to honour warranties (stating that poor geometry, focus, colour convergence, and the scrolling bars on 100Hz, was acceptable, leaving the retailers with swapped out faulty sets that they couldn't get shot of. Many of these were sold on again as 2nds/Grade Bs etc by a large wholesaler.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.