Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BMW tow bar-advice requested  (Read 1433 times)

royston1945

• View Profile
BMW tow bar-advice requested
« on: 07 April 2007, 19:00:35 »

Some lowlife stole the detachable part (the  towball section) off my 5 Series last time I towed .I forgot it was still on. ::) :-[
My question is;are these available separately? It's a  genuine BMW bar,dealer fitted ,with a detachable tubing end section with an integral towball.
I've got to collect an Omega forerunner on wednesday(see pic below)which needs trailoring because of an expired mot. 500 mile round trip! ::) :-?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: BMW tow bar-advice requested
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2007, 22:48:18 »

I think they must be available because if you're towing with one of the newer hitches which stabilises the combination by gripping the ball, the ball is a wear item and the assembly must be replaced when the ball wears below a specified diameter.

As to the cost ....  :-?

I'd check that you're within the max towing weight if you're putting the car on a trailer.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

royston1945

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2007, 23:12:12 »

Yeah,probably an arm and a leg from a bmw dealer. I'll phone the BMW breakers( lots in the Manchester area) and see if I can locate a used one .
Must admit I hadn't thought about the gross weight of the car and trailor.The Carlton is quite light,about 1100 kgs,but the weight  of the rental trailor I haven't got a clue about.
Mind you the Beemer is a E39 528 auto,a hefty bit of kit which has towed a Carlton 3000 GSI on a rented 4 wheel trailor on a few occasions without complaint,although  the legality of that particular combination was up for debate!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2007, 08:03:10 »

Yeah,probably an arm and a leg from a bmw dealer. I'll phone the BMW breakers( lots in the Manchester area) and see if I can locate a used one .
Must admit I hadn't thought about the gross weight of the car and trailor.The Carlton is quite light,about 1100 kgs,but the weight  of the rental trailor I haven't got a clue about.
Mind you the Beemer is a E39 528 auto,a hefty bit of kit which has towed a Carlton 3000 GSI on a rented 4 wheel trailor on a few occasions without complaint,although  the legality of that particular combination was up for debate!
Worth ringing dealer, sometimes I have found BMW dealers to be very reasonable....
Grumpy old man

STMO123

« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2007, 17:50:54 »

Some lowlife stole the detachable part (the  towball section) off my 5 Series last time I towed .I forgot it was still on. ::) :-[
My question is;are these available separately? It's a  genuine BMW bar,dealer fitted ,with a detachable tubing end section with an integral towball.
I've got to collect an Omega forerunner on wednesday(see pic below)which needs trailoring because of an expired mot. 500 mile round trip! ::) :-?

Wouldn't it be worth putting it in for an MOT where it is? I dont know the details so you may have already posted as to why it failed :-/

If it would save you towing it.......

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 April 2007, 20:07:37 »

... Or book an MOT half way between the car and home. You are allowed to drive it to and from a pre-booked MOT after all.  :y

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STMO123

« Reply #6 on: 08 April 2007, 20:17:14 »

... Or book an MOT half way between the car and home. You are allowed to drive it to and from a pre-booked MOT after all.  :y

Kevin

OR....book an MOT at home and drive it there.....good thinking Kevin :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 April 2007, 00:18:41 »

Having read the thread again I suspect 500 miles might be pushing it but who's to say how far it is "reasonable" to travel to an MOT?

Looks a nice tidy car and getting pretty rare on the road these days. Have fun!

Kevin

royston1945

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 April 2007, 16:27:19 »

Thanks for the input, guys. I thought of the 'booked MOT' idea but because the Carlton has been garaged off the road for a year or so since the owner died ,a 250 mile trip might be pushing it,bearing in mind that the AA won't recover an untaxed vehicle.
  The Carton is a very rare phase 2 MK1 version ,made for less than a year during 1982. It has the Opel type interior and revised mirrors of the mk2, but the chrome bumpered body style of the MK1. One owner,full VX history with loads of bills,72K miles and in totally rustfree mint condition in and out! It's lived in the same heated garage since it was bought .Power steering and auto transmission are very rare options on a MK1,as is the Dove Blue metallic paint.
Some more pics.

Note the funky blue 70's interior and the original stereo !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.