Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Woohoo... car is back on the road!  (Read 925 times)

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
Woohoo... car is back on the road!
« on: 12 May 2007, 18:13:11 »

Some of you will remember my woes with a plug that blew out of the head, and subsequently turned out to be a stripped thread :(.

I had a bit of a nightmare trying to replace it, needed a Heli-coil but I couldn't get it threaded. I was on the verge of giving up (the damn rain didn't help my progress either... typical Scottish summer  >:() but gave it another go today and had success within a few tries.

Between taking shelter from spells of rain I managed to get it all back together. I was a little worried that I'd forgotten something or done something wrong along the way, especially considering I stripped it all 3 weeks ago :o. Got in started it up and the check engine light went off as normal - good start. However it was running mega rough, like on 3 cylinders! Was starting to get worried, gave it a little blip of the gas to no avail, but after a few seconds more it ran a lot better but not perfect -- like on 5 cylinders. Now I was starting to worry that the plug I'd Heli-coiled wasn't firing, but after a little longer it evened out and is now running perfectly  :D.

I can only assume the initial roughness was caused by the fuel line being drained thus the pressure was too low for all cylinders until it had a chance to re-pressurise. Here's hoping now that everything continues to run well.

While I was in there I changed both sets of rocker gaskets, changed the HBV, changed the plugs and leads. Those were needing done anyway so the stripped thread wasn't that much extra work. I just pray that the cam gaskets don't leak now, I checked everything twice, particularly the half-moons. I also hope the new HBV fixes the water leak I had, otherwise I'll have to start looking elsewhere for that.

Many thanks go out to Mark and Laidback66 for both advice and the loan of the Heli-coil kit and replacement bolts for the inlet bridge after I dropped one and it disappeared into the ether :y

Here are a few pics I took along the way. I must say it's all looking pretty good in there condition-wise, from my limited knowledge, so that's reassuring.

Inlet bridge showing the dual-fuel injector pipes:

Passenger side cams:

Driver side cams:

Stripped engine from the front:

Cam covers removed, showing the ingenious tool I used to remove the oil from plug wells ;) :

STMO123

Re: Woohoo... car is back on the road!
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2007, 18:31:12 »

Good job Paul :y Pleased you managed it. Now, onwards and upwards, oil coolers, cambelts ;D

The Cambelt Kid

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2007, 18:39:55 »

Excellent job, well done!

I will be doing the rocker seals next week and while it's in bits i will be installing my LPG injectors into the inlet manifold.  So the pics you posted have helped me make up my mind with the location of the injectors - Thanks!  :y

I'll just print the pic off and put it in my lpg folder...

Cheers
Marc
[size=18]Project LP6 has landed![/size]
[size=12]DIY LPG now finally complete!! Whoo hoo.[/size]

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2007, 18:59:36 »

Cool glad they're of help. I had no idea where they were installed prior to this job, but it does seem like the idea location cos they're right next to the petrol injectors. The only issue is that I had to remove 5 of the 6 electrical connectors to the petrol injectors to get to the bolts holding the inlet bridge on due to the gas pipes blocking access a little, but it's not too bad.

I'm a lot more confident about tackling a cambelt change after that, pretty sure it'll be an easier job :o. Hoping I'll never have to do an oil cooler though!

Cheers.

Martin_1962

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2007, 19:46:52 »

I like that injector location :y

I would do one there if I convert another.

I hope you didn't suck too hard :o
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.