Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Stripped sump thread :(  (Read 2966 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: Stripped sump thread :(
« Reply #15 on: 19 August 2007, 02:13:23 »

Time to change your garage TD!

The head design of a bolt has nothing to do with the thread (obviously).....its the use of a torque wrench which is important, something it would appear they do not use :-/

Their comment is when trying to undo the bolt......not tightening it.....but then i guess as they tightened it the time before.....its there fault its too tight.... :-/

I can vouch they have three torque wrenches  :y Wether they use em all the time.....is a different matter.....you got a torgue wrench yet James   ::)

Plus they make an excellent coffee while you wait  ;D

Yep, I have (and used) a torque wrench capable of 8nm.

The bolt stripped well before the required torque, though...

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 August 2007, 08:13:56 »

Why avoid helicoil.....if done correctly, its better than a tapped thread and is much smoother.

Most top race engines have helicoiled everything!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 August 2007, 08:37:21 »

Why avoid helicoil.....if done correctly, its better than a tapped thread and is much smoother.

Most top race engines have helicoiled everything!
I don't have much understanding of such things, but if you have room to retap, isn't that a better fix?
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 August 2007, 08:54:27 »

You cant re-tap reliably.....by stripping the threads, the extra metal required to get a good tap has been removed, you can only go over size.

And over size isn't as good and as strong as a helicoil.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 August 2007, 08:59:14 »

You cant re-tap reliably.....by stripping the threads, the extra metal required to get a good tap has been removed, you can only go over size.

And over size isn't as good and as strong as a helicoil.
Yes, I was referring to drilling and retapping to a larger size.

As said, don't really understand why helicoil would be stronger that a (oversize) retap.  Not in anyway disagreeing with you, just lack of understanding on my part.
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #20 on: 19 August 2007, 09:17:49 »

The helicoil is quite a hard steel, AFAIK the sump is aluminium

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 August 2007, 09:24:27 »

But it can never be stronger than weakest point - in this case the helicoil against the sump?
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #22 on: 19 August 2007, 09:41:36 »

But it can never be stronger than weakest point - in this case the helicoil against the sump?

Not moving though, so should last, Mark seems to know about this.

I made my own equivalent once for an exhaust bolt on a bike barrel, Drilled and tapped bigger hole, made one on a lathe with bolt hole in the middle and a bigger thread on the outside, it lasted

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 August 2007, 10:04:04 »

Not wanting to be to technical but....

The shear strength of the female thread in the aluminium will limit the axial load on the bolt (hence it strips IF its over tightened.....). If you then fit an insert, the area under shear increases as radius squared, and you can allow the bolt to take more of its design strength axial loading. This is because the yield stress in shear of the helicoil material is much higher than that of the aluminium.

Basicly, the aluminium thread is now longer and hence gives more support, the stainles steel helicoil is way stronger than the aluminium and the result is....a much stronger thread.

Plus they are much easier to work with as the helicoil is a precision formed thread and not a rough cut thread in an casting!

:y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 August 2007, 13:43:28 »

Not wanting to be to technical but....

The shear strength of the female thread in the aluminium will limit the axial load on the bolt (hence it strips IF its over tightened.....). If you then fit an insert, the area under shear increases as radius squared, and you can allow the bolt to take more of its design strength axial loading. This is because the yield stress in shear of the helicoil material is much higher than that of the aluminium.

Basicly, the aluminium thread is now longer and hence gives more support, the stainles steel helicoil is way stronger than the aluminium and the result is....a much stronger thread.

Plus they are much easier to work with as the helicoil is a precision formed thread and not a rough cut thread in an casting!

:y
Makes a lot of sense once explained.

Thanks for the explaination :y - as said, certainly wasn't disagreeing with anyone, just trying to understand :y

When undoing, does the helicoil ever come out?
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 August 2007, 14:45:51 »

No, there usualy stainless (although other types are available like phosphorbronze for nasty salty environments) so dont corrode to the bolts inserted and they are designed so they are larger then the hole they are being fitted into hence you have a sprung setup applying contact to the outer material into which it is inserted over the whole area of the helicoil....

....in fact they can be a swine to remove unless you bend one end in and wind them out...

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19 August 2007, 15:04:07 »

Really stupid question, how do you fit a heliciol, and how does it hold in place? Never done one...

lee4206

• southampton
  • Mot Tester
    • 2000 3.0l manual MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 August 2007, 15:34:25 »

Really stupid question, how do you fit a heliciol, and how does it hold in place? Never done one...

Quite simple you just tap out the existing hole with the tap supplied with the helicoil screw in the helicoil insert break off the tang and its as good as new. The insert holds itself in place because of the spring tension on it
VAUXHALL TRADE CLUB AND HALFORDS TRADE CARD  AND V6 LOCKING KIT HOLDER  always happy to help if poss

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 August 2007, 16:46:14 »

Quite simple you just tap out the existing hole with the tap supplied with the helicoil screw in the helicoil insert break off the tang and its as good as new. The insert holds itself in place because of the spring tension on it

If I don't have any luck mate, I may take you up on the offer of lending the helicoil kit. OF course, I'm happy to cover cost of postage insured both ways, if we do go that way

lee4206

• southampton
  • Mot Tester
    • 2000 3.0l manual MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 August 2007, 19:30:35 »

If I don't have any luck mate, I may take you up on the offer of lending the helicoil kit. OF course, I'm happy to cover cost of postage insured both ways, if we do go that way

I'll double check that i've got the right kit tomorrow and let you know.  I've got sump bolts and washers too so im sure i'll have something to fit..
VAUXHALL TRADE CLUB AND HALFORDS TRADE CARD  AND V6 LOCKING KIT HOLDER  always happy to help if poss
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 22 queries.