Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil in coolant but not visa versa  (Read 1451 times)

Jamesc2583

• Peterborough
    • 2.6 V6 CDX
    • View Profile
Oil in coolant but not visa versa
« on: 20 June 2020, 22:59:13 »

Hi, new to the forum so forgive me if this is already a topic somewhere, but couldn't find anything about it  :y

So, couple days ago, pulled off in the car to go work and saw a puddle in the rear view, stopped and had a look. Saw it was what looked like oil and coolant mixed together! Had a look under the bonnet and no mayo on the oil filler cap, looked in the coolant reservoir(it was still cold!) And my coolant is probably 40% oil now and  is fill to the brim with Hellmans' finest. My oil level was also considerably down and not touching the dip stick. Anyone got any advice on why I dont want to do head gasket?

Cheers,
James

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Oil in coolant but not visa versa
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2020, 23:05:51 »

The good news is that it isn't the head gasket.

The bad news is that it IS the oil cooler.

Best not drive it until you can get it fixed.

This is what needs replacing in order to fix it...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Vauxhall-Omega-Sintra-2-5-2-6-3-0-3-2-V6-Oil-Cooler-Radiator-93176626-/261555445658

:y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Jamesc2583

• Peterborough
    • 2.6 V6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2020, 23:09:53 »

The good news is that it isn't the head gasket.

The bad news is that it IS the oil cooler.

Best not drive it until you can get it fixed.

This is what needs replacing in order to fix it...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Vauxhall-Omega-Sintra-2-5-2-6-3-0-3-2-V6-Oil-Cooler-Radiator-93176626-/261555445658

:y
Best news I've heard all day!

Is this a common issue or am I part of sods law?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2020, 23:34:30 »

Factory fitted response to poor coolant maintenance.

Change the coolant every four years and it won't happen. Never change the coolant and it's pretty much guaranteed.

Obviously once the cooler is changed, it takes about 25 flushes to get the oil out of the waterways.

If you're not doing it yourself, budget at least a day's labour. Takes a couple of hours to get cooler swapped out, plus sealant curing time plus flushing.

DIY and it's a couple of hundred in parts and time, and there is a few extra jobs to do whilst you're there due to common labour involvement, ie stripping the inlet manifold:

Thermostat, cam cover gaskets, breather clean, HBV.

Waterpump won't appreciate being soaked in all that mayo crap either, but that's a luxury rather than an essential and if you're stripping the front to get the water pump out, then you may as well do the cambelt if it's due.
Onanists always think outside the box.

tango

• Intermediate Member
  • brum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 June 2020, 23:58:23 »

Did mine recently
Not a hard job to do but time consuming and must advise to take your time whilst your at it
The difficult  part is loosening the oil delivery and return pipes near the oil filter

Jamesc2583

• Peterborough
    • 2.6 V6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2020, 00:09:54 »

Factory fitted response to poor coolant maintenance.

Change the coolant every four years and it won't happen. Never change the coolant and it's pretty much guaranteed.

Obviously once the cooler is changed, it takes about 25 flushes to get the oil out of the waterways.

If you're not doing it yourself, budget at least a day's labour. Takes a couple of hours to get cooler swapped out, plus sealant curing time plus flushing.

DIY and it's a couple of hundred in parts and time, and there is a few extra jobs to do whilst you're there due to common labour involvement, ie stripping the inlet manifold:

Thermostat, cam cover gaskets, breather clean, HBV.

Waterpump won't appreciate being soaked in all that mayo crap either, but that's a luxury rather than an essential and if you're stripping the front to get the water pump out, then you may as well do the cambelt if it's due.

Only got the car 6/7 months ago, so i'll just blame the previous old bastatd (even though I should have changed the coolant myself and avoided this pit)

I'll find myself a week off and start the task then. Havent got an outside hose so 25 cycles will take about 6 days in itself. Cheers for the help

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2020, 07:39:09 »

If time is more scarce than funds you could book it in at SOS Auto in Huntingdon. It happens to be the forums favourite Omega repair garage and luckily, not too far from you.  ;)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2020, 08:13:21 »

Two options, repair it yourself, and invest in some liquid dish washer detergent to help flush all the mayo out, fill mix drive flush repeat, at least 6-7 times,, or book it in with SOS in Hoof'land,, (Huntingdon).
Hoof'land storeman.

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 July 2020, 22:44:17 »

It will be the oil cooler for sure these V6 never have head problems really it is a job that a competent person can do but just get genuine parts the flushing can be a bit of a chore and need several goes at cleaning the water
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.