Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Late model powersounder wanted  (Read 3128 times)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Re: Late model powersounder wanted
« Reply #15 on: 14 November 2020, 03:35:58 »

Yep. It would be tragic to lose an example like yours to a fire over a poxy powersounder.

I'll get on it and remove it :y.  Is there a guide for removal ? and is there a trick to stop it making a noise as soon as its unplugged ? 8)

Thanks in advance.
Andy.
The procedure for disconnecting the main battery without triggering the powersounder is to switch the ignition on, wait for most of the warning lights to go out, switch the ignition off again and then run round and pull the battery connection off within about 20 seconds (can't remember the official figure and it is only approximate ).

The sounder might notice when you disconnect the data line and go off anyway.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

GrahamK

• Shropshire
  • 2003 2.6 CDX Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 November 2020, 11:12:55 »

Update:

Power sounder outed

Spent 90 minutes trying to remove the wipers and in the process cracked part of what was a mint scuttle. That was particularly annoying.

I've had a look on ebay and there are a number of inexpensive wiper arm removal tools. Has anyone purchased one that they could recommend as reasonably effective on an Omega?
I would like to repair the scuttle at some point.

I have got a selection of 3 point pullers, but they are much too bulky to be of any use here.

I have since found out that it is possible to remove the Powersounder with the Scuttle in place, but it is tight. It is easy enough to undo the 10mm securing nut (pull out the big grommet) and push the sounder backwards till it drops out of the slot. I couldn't get it out from under the scuttle though however I jiggled it. Eventually I undid the bracket (two 10mm nuts) which blocks its exit.
This then fell to the bottom and on retrieving it realised the horns were attached to that too. Managed to fish out the sounder, make safe the connector and replace the bracket.
Not quite before my tea on Thursday Doc, but before my lunch Friday. I know now that it can't pop.

Interestingly, once removed I could see the date code on the sounder was 1/11/2011 and made in Australia?

Although I am generally cursed with the urge to do a "proper job" knowing that my 17 year old car has already got through at least two, made the decision to take it out and leave it out an easy one. It is an unnecessary risk.

Cheers,

Graham.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 November 2020, 12:07:43 »

I have a wiper puller, but have never needed to use it on wipers. The splines are usually slightly tapered, and tapers are always best separated by shocks, not force.

This has never failed in over 30 years:
fold the wiper arm at its hinge
hold the arm and the mount
firmly rock both parts.

Works on cars, trucks, headlight wipers, rear screens and arms that have been in place for years.

GrahamK

• Shropshire
  • 2003 2.6 CDX Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 November 2020, 15:20:43 »

Thanks Nick,

I'll give that a try.

Although I didn't do what you suggest exactly, i've changed wiper arms many times on other cars and never had a problem before.
Perhaps I was being a little too careful.

Thanks

Darius

• Omega 2.2 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 December 2020, 17:37:38 »

If powersounders are no longer available from Vauxhall then presumably there would be no insurance comeback from not having one fitted?

Also, one shouldn't search too diligently for a new one .

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 December 2020, 18:20:47 »

When I removed mine I informed my insurers (LV) just to avoid any problems  they were absolutely fine with it & received confirmation in writing from them.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.