Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 0335 Code check and cam-belt change  (Read 645 times)

OmegAde

• Manchester, UK
    • View Profile
0335 Code check and cam-belt change
« on: 17 October 2007, 11:46:14 »

Hi guys - this is my first post here, but I've been reading for a few weeks now, tidying up my 2.0 CD as and when I can, making use of the info posted here (e.g. cured a dodgy idle courtesy of some carb-cleaner and reading the guidance here!). It's an excellent place for help - thanks for that.

Now - every now and then (maybe 4 times a week) I'll be chugging along and my car will give a little 'cough' - always just the one - and then a few seconds later the EML will come on and I'll be limited to 4500rpm. Never had a problem starting or running apart from this little glitch.

A quick paper-clip test (again, thanks for that!) reveals 10-3-3-5 which I believe is 0335 and which I believe relates to the cam sensor - am I right? There was apparently some confusion about whether I should even be able to get this code on my little 4-pot!

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1192307439/18#18

Assuming it's the sensor, I take it it's just a case of old one out/new one in. Any dangers to look out for?

Secondly - my car came with no S/H and it's done over 162k so I figure it might be time for a cam-belt change for peace of mind's sake. Looking at the engine, it seems fairly straight forward, although this would be my first ever belt-change so again, any dangers to look out for would be greatly appreciated! Was there any progress on the DVD discussed a while back?
 http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1189930472/7#7

If so, I'd definitely be up for buying one of them!

Thanks in advance

Ade
2.0 CD 1999

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: 0335 Code check and cam-belt change
« Reply #1 on: 17 October 2007, 11:48:11 »

Admittedly, mine's a V6, but I think 0335 was the code I got when the crank sensor died. Maybe not be the same on the 4 pot. Were the codes read with the engine running?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 October 2007, 11:55:36 »

The 4 pot cambelt change is quite straightforward. Plan on doing the water pump at the same time as that's driven from the cambelt and if it seizes... :(

OmegAde

• Manchester, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 October 2007, 11:57:49 »

Thanks for the quick replies!

No, the engine was off. I think (going off the FAQ for paperclip tests) that my 2.0 needs the engine off to do the test.

If it's the crank sensor, again, is it just an old for new swap?

Good point re: water pump. Can I still get a TC, even though I'm missing 2 cylinders as far as autobahnstomers are concerned?!
2.0 CD 1999

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2007, 12:00:11 »

I think you just have to have 'an interest' in 6 cylinders..

There are also other Vauxhall clubs but ABS seems the most common.

OmegAde

• Manchester, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 October 2007, 14:34:33 »

Ok - I'll accidentally confuse my old XJ40 with the Omega if anyone queries my 'interest'!  :y

When you say 'relatively straightforward', would following whatever Haynes says be sufficient (in the absence of a DVD I can buy)? Like I say, i've never done one before, but there doesn't seem to be too much in the way to have a go and I figured this was a simple-looking one by comparison to some cam-belt jobs.

Would I require anything special beyond:

Belt kit (inc. tensioners)
Water pump
Locking tool?

If i bought crank sensor at the same time - it would cost me about £200 all-in on TC?

Thanks
2.0 CD 1999

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 October 2007, 14:50:49 »

locking tool (1) for the cams would be good although I did it without.   You don't need the V6 kit with the crank lock and timing guage though.  Haynes was fine for the job in my experience.  

You may want to add 5L antifreeze and possibly a new aux belt to your shopping list.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 October 2007, 18:58:42 »

0335 is crank sensor on the 2.0l.  Seeing this code is a sign of a failing sensor, regardless of if engine running (can't paperclip a 2.0l with engine running).
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 18 queries.