Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 0420/0430 Error Codes - Way of Rectifying??  (Read 1332 times)

damon80

• Wigan
    • View Profile
0420/0430 Error Codes - Way of Rectifying??
« on: 14 September 2009, 20:29:16 »

Hi Folks,

I too have been afflicted with the infamous 0420 and 0430 error codes (well, not me personally, but my Miggy  :D )

I seem to remember some time ago there was a guide on here around relocating a sensor to "fool" the ECU.  Hunted around on here for the last half hour, but can't find it again  :-[

When I've looked at the front of the exhaust from underneath the car, there's a sensor tapped into the exhaust above one the first cat (pre-cat I assume), and then another after the second cat (main cat?).  It's the same on the other bank of the engine too.

Firstly, just out of interest - what are each of these sensors?

And secondly - which of these sensors needs to be moved to solve the 0420/0430 problems, and where does it need to be moved to?

Cheers  :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: 0420/0430 Error Codes - Way of Rectifying??
« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2009, 20:37:29 »

IMHO cheaper and easier to buy a code resetting tool .... but I suppose that depends how often you get the light on. i've only had it on 3 times in 18 months so i'm happy to keep the maxscan in the boot and simply reset when the fault occurs.. :). I also have the maxscan if any other problems should occur .. :)
« Last Edit: 14 September 2009, 20:37:55 by entwood »

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 September 2009, 20:57:26 »

IMHO cheaper and easier to buy a code resetting tool .... but I suppose that depends how often you get the light on. i've only had it on 3 times in 18 months so i'm happy to keep the maxscan in the boot and simply reset when the fault occurs.. :). I also have the maxscan if any other problems should occur .. :)

That's right, my last 3.2 used to put the light on every week and while I could reset it with Opelscanner it started to get very boring so I just drove with the light on.

Relocating the lambda's isn't a hard job, just need to find someone who'll weld the bosses in.

Welung666

« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2009, 21:05:13 »

I'm going to be doing Mark MV6's soon. He's picked up the bossed and plugs off me today.

It's simply (he says ;D ) a case of moving the first 2 lambda's (one on each bank) behind the 2nd cat :y

damon80

• Wigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 September 2009, 21:15:49 »

I'm going to be doing Mark MV6's soon. He's picked up the bossed and plugs off me today.

It's simply (he says ;D ) a case of moving the first 2 lambda's (one on each bank) behind the 2nd cat :y

Do you need a special boss for the job, or would a nut of the correct size do the job?  Then block off the original sensor boss with the correct sized bolt?

When you say the 1st 2 sensors, am getting a bit confuddled, so lets say...

Sensor A - the 1st sensor, i.e. closest to the manifold, looks like it's before the 1st cat.  Looks like it's the 1st sensor in the exhaust system after the actual manifold.  Could this be the O2 sensor??

Sensor B - the 2nd sensor, which is inbetween the 1st cat and 2nd cat.  Is this the lambda?

So which sensor needs moving - A or B?    :-/  :-[

Cheers for the help folks 

damon80

• Wigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 September 2009, 21:18:22 »

Cheers for the input Entwood - I did have it reset once, but it came on again a couple of days later  >:(  I'd sooner just get it sorted once and for all...

3.2 manual

• nr yeovil, somerset
  • the great thread ender! whoops
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 September 2009, 03:19:43 »

mine does it every 2-3 days. but now the bulb has blown, its great. i just plug the reader in every now and then to make sure no new ones have turned up.
oh bugger, i thought that was a bit of wind!!!

feeutfo

« Reply #7 on: 15 September 2009, 03:56:41 »

sensor B needs to be downstream of the main cat. :-)
02 sensor/lambda same thing.
4 on v6,  2 per bank.
First lambda takes a reading.
Then pre cat cleans exhaust gas.
2nd lambda takes a reading.
The differance between the 2 readings needs to be within certain limits defined in the ecu.

Light comes on when the pre cat looses efficency for some reason unknown. The differential between two readings falls out of limits, gases not clean enough, and the fault is raised.

Fix is to move the second (B)  lambda from between the 2 cats to behind main cat so as to clean the gasses more efficiently. Main cat then doing the job the pre cat should be doing. No more error.
Hth
« Last Edit: 15 September 2009, 04:11:56 by chrisgixer »

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 15 September 2009, 04:20:51 »

Re bosses, have seen mention on here that sump plug boss is the same size. These, i beleive, can be had from vx dealer on their own. Ie not welded into a sump.

Remove the sump plug bolt and weld the boss into exhaust and bolt lambda in. Then plug the remaining whole  in old location with sump plug bolt.

Check this first though. Not done the job myself.... Yet. :-)

feeutfo

« Reply #9 on: 15 September 2009, 04:28:12 »

mine does it every 2-3 days. but now the bulb has blown, its great. i just plug the reader in every now and then to make sure no new ones have turned up.
The other cheaper fix. :-)
Remove the bulb and perform regular pedal tricks(free £, see paper clip test in maintenance) to check for errors.

Welung666

« Reply #10 on: 15 September 2009, 05:43:46 »

You can get the bosses and blanking plugs off eGay.

feeutfo

« Reply #11 on: 15 September 2009, 05:55:21 »

damon80

• Wigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 September 2009, 09:11:50 »

Thank-you all very much for your help with this - you are legends!  :y

feeutfo

« Reply #13 on: 15 September 2009, 09:25:19 »

an 04 omega. Wow. How many miles out of interest? 86k on my 52 plate and no light on yet.

Going to stop saying that. You know what will happen next time i drive it....BING....bright yellow light on the dash.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.