Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Chipped!  (Read 4778 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Chipped!
« Reply #15 on: 14 April 2021, 18:05:15 »

Very loose connection to the thread, but........I just glanced at my gaypad sitting on the arm of the sofa with the sun shining on it. The screen was a mass of fingerprints and streaks but, when I picked it up and switched the screen on, the display was perfect.
I remember when touch screens first came out, and you were constantly cleaning them or it was like looking through a fog.
The gaypads do have excellent screens :y.  I often have to use mine in sunshine and, although a pain, still usable.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 April 2021, 18:06:11 »

Oh, but if using in sunshine, cleaning the screen does help a LOT ;D
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 April 2021, 18:09:37 »

In the wife's astra, she has actually worn away the touch screen in places. When it's switched off there is a symmetrical pattern of 'blobs', obviously where the icons are. They won't come off.
Diesel till I die

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 April 2021, 18:24:01 »

In the wife's astra, she has actually worn away the touch screen in places. When it's switched off there is a symmetrical pattern of 'blobs', obviously where the icons are. They won't come off.
I wonder if its a similar effect to those soft touch buttons that sometimes get a sticky coating from fingers, thats a pain to remove?
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 April 2021, 18:26:15 »

I wonder if its a similar effect to those soft touch buttons that sometimes get a sticky coating from fingers, thats a pain to remove?
Shouldn't be, it's a proper touch screen, albeit probably a cheaper one than in a premium marque.
Diesel till I die

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 April 2021, 19:05:52 »

We've had a few jokes about the Covid vaccines containing a 'Bill Gates nano chip', but it seems that it might be nearer to the truth than we think!  :o

If it is a Bill Gates nano chip then it's going to need service pack 1 and about 30 updates by now  :P

one of the latest windows 10 updates stops windows updating and you have to manually update it ,another stops microsoft updates from being installed  :o
//TB has to think back when MS last did Service Packs, and can't remember if there were any last decade.  Win7/W2K8R2 might have sneaked one very early last decade ;D

I think for the most part, MS do a good job of updates.  Its an infinately open architecture they have to support, and its rare they cock up.  Unlike Apple, for example, who own the hardware and OS and still make everything buggy and unstable as possible.  Trouble is, without Gates, they are just like Apple without Jobs, directionless, stale, dull.
I agree, windows is great , I was having a bit of a rant after spending a few days doing hardware upgrades and software updates to family PCs and built one for me to replace my now ageing core 2 duo with 32 bit win 10 (god knows why it wouldn't let me install 64 bit that was on it before my harddrive shat it's pot full :P)

never been a fan of apple products ,
I like the modular, any supplier for a part ,plenty of software choices that is a pc base unit with windows  :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 April 2021, 09:38:36 »

Shouldn't be, it's a proper touch screen, albeit probably a cheaper one than in a premium marque.

Plastic or glass screen?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 April 2021, 11:38:23 »

Probably plastic if it's wearing :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 April 2021, 11:38:45 »

Plastic or glass screen?
No idea, feels 'softer' than my iPad.
Diesel till I die

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 April 2021, 11:26:25 »

ageing core 2 duo with 32 bit win 10 (god knows why it wouldn't let me install 64 bit that was on it before my harddrive shat it's pot full :P)
I'd need to double check, but think 64bit Win10 needs EFI, which is unlikely to be fully implemented enough on a Core 2 era machine...   ...at best you may have a partial/incomplete EFI implementation. though more likely to just have a legacy BIOS boot/
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 April 2021, 11:28:10 »

Plastic or glass screen?
No idea, feels 'softer' than my iPad.
iPad is gorilla glass.  Car will more likely be a plastic derived "glass", so may be getting lots of microscopic scratches from fingers.
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 April 2021, 12:12:29 »

ageing core 2 duo with 32 bit win 10 (god knows why it wouldn't let me install 64 bit that was on it before my harddrive shat it's pot full :P)
I'd need to double check, but think 64bit Win10 needs EFI, which is unlikely to be fully implemented enough on a Core 2 era machine...   ...at best you may have a partial/incomplete EFI implementation. though more likely to just have a legacy BIOS boot/
I'm pretty sure it don't have EFI ,none of my computers have Electronic Fuel Injection   :D
I put it down to the newer 20H2 windows 10 not supporting the E7400 in x64 at the time ,
though I openly admit not doing a bios update ever on this PC ( Board: Intel Corporation DQ965GF AAD41676-601 )
might try a fressh install of 64 bit latest windows 10 and bios update after I swap over .

I've built a Gigabyte AMD FX machine now ,16 GB DDR3-12800 Crucial Ballistix ram ,GIGABYTE (GP-GSTFS31240GNTD) 240GB SSD ,600 wat PSU ,1TB back up drive, latest genuine windows 10 pro .

Again old tech by todays standards but computer bits are expensive right now  :P and i don't do gaming, video rendering or anything that requires taking out a mortgage to buy a graphics card or DDR4 bits  :o

I'm still using the E7400 PC though until i CBA to transfer all the files, web links, accounts etc  :D
As you can probably guess from this post , I'm no computer guru  :-[

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 April 2021, 12:25:29 »

Pretty certain Intel didn't include even basic EFI (Intel tend to call it UEFI) on 900 series boards.  I think by around Series 4 boards they started putting on an incomplete EFI.

So if Win10 x64 does need EFI, then you're phishing in a phorce 10.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 April 2021, 12:26:15 »

That said, I think Server 2016 will boot from BIOS, so maybe it does need EFI.
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17 April 2021, 12:34:28 »

Pretty certain Intel didn't include even basic EFI (Intel tend to call it UEFI) on 900 series boards.  I think by around Series 4 boards they started putting on an incomplete EFI.

So if Win10 x64 does need EFI, then you're phishing in a phorce 10.
Thanks for the info  :)
I bow to your vastly superior knowledge and will sling the guts of said PC in the gold recovery PCB pile
when i've got my arse in gear and migrated to the newer pc build  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.