Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitting Cruise Control Switch - Omega 2.2  (Read 2348 times)

windhoek_boy

• Windhoek, Namibia
    • Omega 2.2 16V
    • View Profile
Fitting Cruise Control Switch - Omega 2.2
« on: 02 May 2017, 23:12:06 »

Hi everyone. :)

I have a question here.

My old Omega had Cruise Control operating switch/lever (next to steering wheel) which worked fine when i used to drive it. I scrapped it and kept engine and useful parts including the cruise control switch. Since i put my engine over from my scrapped Omega 2.2 and into a new/better 2.2 Omega Body then i realised that the new body switch/lever was not having Cruise Control buttons/functions on it.

Can i unplug/disconnect the current switch without Cruise Control functionality  and put in my old one with cruise control? Will this work?

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting Cruise Control Switch - Omega 2.2
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2017, 00:12:56 »

If the Cruise Stalk come from an Omega other than a 2.5TD then it should work, but you may or probably need to activate the Cruise function in the ECU via a Chat with a Tech II diagnostic tool (Dealer / Admins on here).

Edit. If its a Manual you may have to mess with or fit Clutch / Brake Switch aswell.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2017, 00:19:15 by zirk »

windhoek_boy

• Windhoek, Namibia
    • Omega 2.2 16V
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2017, 00:55:17 »

If the Cruise Stalk come from an Omega other than a 2.5TD then it should work, but you may or probably need to activate the Cruise function in the ECU via a Chat with a Tech II diagnostic tool (Dealer / Admins on here).

Edit. If its a Manual you may have to mess with or fit Clutch / Brake Switch as well.

Thanks a ton Zirk! Mine is 2.2 Auto. And yes the scrapped Omega i used to drive was also a 2.2 Auto but not quite identical seeing those smaller missing things ....like the lack of Cruise Control on the better body.

I will remember the Tech 2 diagnostic tool. I know one guy with a MAXIdas OBD2 or something... does that mean it is a Tech2 reader too?

Fraggles Rock

• Intermediate Member
  • United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2017, 02:39:30 »

Edit. If its a Manual you may have to mess with or fit Clutch / Brake Switch as well.

Thanks a ton Zirk! Mine is 2.2 Auto. And yes the scrapped Omega i used to drive was also a 2.2 Auto but not quite identical seeing those smaller missing things ....like the lack of Cruise Control on the better body.

I will remember the Tech 2 diagnostic tool. I know one guy with a MAXIdas OBD2 or something... does that mean it is a Tech2 reader too?
Not exactly... but should be plug and play. Swap the switch and report back :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2017, 12:58:19 »

No, as said it needs to be activated with a Tech 2, not read with an OBD2 Reader.

Unless its an Elite or CDX, or unless your really lucky, it won't work just by fitting the cruise stalk.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2017, 15:13:48 »

Do you still have the engine ECU, immobiliser and key chips from the old Omega?

Thinking you could swap these into the "new" car and that should give you an ECU on which cruise is activated.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2017, 20:43:26 »

Mine worked straight away. Worth fitting and trying first :y

windhoek_boy

• Windhoek, Namibia
    • Omega 2.2 16V
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2017, 18:51:57 »

Thinking you could swap these into the "new" car and that should give you an ECU on which cruise is activated.

Yes Kevin. I still have ECU and Keychips. Well,what does this immobiliser Unit look like? not sure if i have it now....

windhoek_boy

• Windhoek, Namibia
    • Omega 2.2 16V
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2017, 18:53:46 »

:) hmmm.... interesting but please explain your circumstances where you just fitted and it worked.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 May 2017, 19:09:46 »

From the factory a non cruise DBW Omega will **NOT** have cruise enabled in the ECU, with the notable exception of the 2.5TD.

Those lucky enough to "fit the stalk and it works" have an ECU that has been enabled since leaving factory, or a replacement ECU from a cruise equipped donor.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 May 2017, 19:10:27 »

Yes Kevin. I still have ECU and Keychips. Well,what does this immobiliser Unit look like? not sure if i have it now....
It fits under ignition switch, and has an intergral ring that goes around the ignition switch
Grumpy old man

windhoek_boy

• Windhoek, Namibia
    • Omega 2.2 16V
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 May 2017, 19:25:09 »

It fits under ignition switch, and has an intergral ring that goes around the ignition switch

Then i think i have this thing somewhere. important things and wiring i took before taking car to scrapeyard.

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 May 2017, 23:06:36 »

:) hmmm.... interesting but please explain your circumstances where you just fitted and it worked.
Well i just changed the stalk took it for a test and it worked simple as that really
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.