Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Neighbourhood Whatap group....errr No.  (Read 1302 times)

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
Neighbourhood Whatap group....errr No.
« on: 04 May 2020, 08:03:14 »

Woman, at the end of our Cul-de-sac has put little printed notes through every door, suggesting we all join a WhatsApp group, to cope with the lockdown.

I can't stand half of the people in the street. Wouldn't give th e steam off my piss to put out the fire if they were on fire.
Wife feels the same....
The 2 people in the street, who are over 90, we have there phone numbers and that of their family, and they phone us randomly, to tell us things they told us three days before.
We know that they are okay and in any case neither have internet or mobiles with internet.

Will we be ostricised for not joining ? Hope so.

STEMO

Re: Neighbourhood Whatap group....errr No.
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2020, 10:19:43 »

A couple of friends of ours went through this last year. Don't do it  :-X

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2020, 11:04:01 »

There is a site called nextdoor.co.uk which covers a general area rather than just a street. It can be useful without being intrusive.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2020, 11:07:17 »

Some of these groups tend to be hijacked by local political parties who then push their own agenda , and of course get all arsey when you don't agree with them  >:(

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2020, 11:41:16 »

Personally I wouldn't do it , we talk to our neighbours when we see them outside, the couple over the road have a key to ours & look after our mail etc when we are away, we look after their cat on the odd occasion they are away but I have known the husband for years ex forces and now a paramedic so we have a lot in common that works well for us.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2020, 06:49:20 »

Thank you all for confirming my worst fears.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2020, 08:37:29 »

During  recent "clap for whoever" things the Mrs went outside and did so. Turns out the neighbours take this as an excuse to yak and bitch about each other. She didn't do that again. I'm sure a Whatsapp group would be similar.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 May 2020, 09:24:45 »

10 houses in our Close, all friendly, 6 with old farts like us, another just retired, What’sapp group brilliant for us. Anyone with a delivery due posts for requests from others. I get priority due wife’s health so often get requests for add ons. For us it all works very well. I am also the NW coordinator. 🇬🇧

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 May 2020, 09:51:48 »

10 houses in our Close, all friendly, 6 with old farts like us, another just retired, What’sapp group brilliant for us. Anyone with a delivery due posts for requests from others. I get priority due wife’s health so often get requests for add ons. For us it all works very well. I am also the NW coordinator. 🇬🇧
These things can indeed work very well, but it largely depends on everyone being of a similar mind.

There's something like 60 houses on our little estate, and being a privately owned estate, there's a residents committee chaired by one of those self important types who makes it as cliquey as a WI stall.

He actively doesn't send out information or include certain households in updates etc* yet gets very vocal at the AGMSs about people who don't participate/sign up for or respond to memos and the like... Net result is that when things like the Neighbourhood groups are suggested, no one bothers.

*Deliberately mistyping email addresses/names etc so that they don't get delivered.

In the ten times or so in the last twenty years that he has deigned to address me, he never gets my name right, so I now call him Dave or Steve instead of Richard...  ::)

Local Facebook groups also can work well provided that it's limited to things like social get together, reporting busted street lights, has anyone seen Vera at number 17 recently? and as a local marketplace  :y

Dad used to swear by Facebook for hobbies and clubs, but my experience of how some people use it, even in business, means that I will never sign up for an account.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2020, 10:05:13 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.