Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eco on/off  (Read 1080 times)

omega3000

Eco on/off
« on: 07 March 2012, 13:45:26 »

Since removing the air/con rad from the car should i have the ECO button on or off , just wondering if it makes any difference to controlling HBV since its been disconnected if that makes any sense . I was told i could remove the HBV now i have removed the condenser ..is that right  :-\

tia  ;)

chrisdb

• Intermediate Member
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
Re: Eco on/off
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2012, 14:15:17 »

It will make no difference because when their is no gas in the aicon system it switches off anyway. With a fully working system you'll notice a drop in engine rpm when you turn the ECO on. In your state the engine will be running at the lower rpm and you should see that nothing happens when you turn it on.
TC Card, will buy parts for members near by. V6 Camshaft locking kit can rent out to members at club rates.

omega3000

« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2012, 14:26:05 »

It will make no difference because when their is no gas in the aicon system it switches off anyway. With a fully working system you'll notice a drop in engine rpm when you turn the ECO on. In your state the engine will be running at the lower rpm and you should see that nothing happens when you turn it on.

Ok thanks , but can i remove the HBV . If so was wondering about the vacuum arrangement ...Sorry if im getting confused over the link between the condenser and HBV . I presumed they were linked in some way , so with no air/con as mine is there would be no need for the HBV ? Or does the HBV have nothing to do with the air/con  :-\

adey2

• nuneaton, warwickshire
  • if all else fails hit it with a hammer
    • 2000 3.0 elite estate lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2012, 15:56:47 »

if it not there just plug the pipe from it, will stop it sucking excessive amounts of air into the vacum system
v6 locking kit , code reader available, engine hoist and engine stand

also has 2.6 mv6 estate 2001, hilux surf 3.0, vectra 2.0 lpg 2000

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2012, 16:27:46 »

..... Or does the HBV have nothing to do with the air/con  :-\

There possible is a link between the two, but the diaphragm inside the HBV will move up or down to give heat or not whether you have a/c on or not. Don't forget that air conditioned air doesn't have to be cold, it can also be warm/hot.  ;)

omega3000

« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2012, 17:00:49 »

Struggling to understand how the HBV works in conjunction with the air/con . So i assume if i took the HBV out of the system i would be left with constant heat as the HBV controls the flow of heat via the heat controls in the car  :-\
« Last Edit: 07 March 2012, 17:03:26 by eatmydust »

adey2

• nuneaton, warwickshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2012, 17:07:01 »

from what i make of system it just stops any water going in the heater when you want it icy cold, cause the two radiators inside the heater box are sat  close it stops the warm water warming the air con radiator so cooling is lot quicker

omega3000

« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2012, 17:16:34 »

from what i make of system it just stops any water going in the heater when you want it icy cold, cause the two radiators inside the heater box are sat  close it stops the warm water warming the air con radiator so cooling is lot quicker

I will have to investigate the pipe/work because it seems my temp gauge is fluctuating since i have removed the condenser , original post here was to determine any effects of the ECO button on or off but thats been eliminated now . I might even put the old condenser back on to see if anything changes . I doubt if anyone has removed the condenser on here lately so i cant compare any similarities or problems .

Thanks for the help anyway  ;)

adey2

• nuneaton, warwickshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2012, 17:20:36 »

removing condensor shouldnt effect as all that would allow is better airflow through main radiator as one less to go through

omega3000

« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2012, 17:25:17 »

removing condensor shouldnt effect as all that would allow is better airflow through main radiator as one less to go through

Just as i thought  ;) just didn't want the HBV remaining in place if it was causing any further problems now that the condenser has been removed .

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 March 2012, 17:28:07 »

Most of the heater control is achieved by blending flaps which select the proportion of the incoming air that passes through the heater matrix, one for each side of the car.

With air conditioning on, the air con delivers air that's almost always too cold for the cabin so the heater matrix is used to heat it to a comfortable temperature.

When maximum cooling is required, the heater matrix coolant flow is cut off using the HBV. This gives slightly better cooling by preventing a little residual heat from the matrix getting into the cabin.

If there is constant coolant flow through the heater matrix it doesn't make a huge difference since most of the control is provided by the blending flaps.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

omega3000

« Reply #11 on: 07 March 2012, 17:34:17 »

The 2 condenser pipes to the front of the car are disconnected and been left open as the rad has been taken off ...should i have blocked the pipes off with blanking plates or are they ok left open . Just trying to eliminate anything i have missed .
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.