Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Crank Sensor Failure  (Read 19069 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Crank Sensor Failure
« Reply #75 on: 27 June 2021, 17:13:54 »

But, as  said, they cannot supply the Vx sensor.

But they have quoted me a price to fit the one I supply............£295!!!.................but maybe cheaper if they take a shorter time doing it! :o :o :o ::) ::) ::)

£295 for ten minutes work!  :o
Five minutes if done to dealer standards ;D

Yep, that is what I now think after asking questions about doing the work.  My dealer sometimes worries me when they come up with prices - two hours work they reckoned - they are having a giraffe!! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

Thinking about it, I should have offered to do it for £100 with a free coffee while you wait....

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 27 June 2021, 17:21:21 »

But they have quoted me a price to fit the one I supply............£295!!!.................but maybe cheaper if they take a shorter time doing it! :o :o :o ::) ::) ::)

But if they supply a hookie sensor then they get to keep replacing it until it works long enough to last their liability period.  ;)

Not to mention the time saving we spend smacking our heads against the wall...

Yes, thanks DG, I do understand that but no way is it going into their garage on the bassis of a quote like that!  They cannot know what they are talking about, which is now common when it comes to some issues with our out of production, 'old' cars! ::) ::) ;)

I can and will do the job myself once I get the sensor, one way or another ;D ;D ;D :)
Go in there tomorrow morning. Ask to speak to the Workshop foreman. Show him the quote, then show him the guide, then ask the book time. Then ask them for a fresh quote.

It should halve the original quote as a minimum. The last Crank senosr I bought was around £78 inc. Add a the book time in labour and you should be around the £110-120 mark.

This removes all responsibility for the sensor supplied and warranties the part and labour for a year.

If it lasts a year, then happy days. If it doesn't, then you take it back and they fix it FOC.

In your shoes, this is what I would do and not worry about it.

Personally, in my shoes, I would seek out a genuine sensor from a genuine source. They're not made to order so there will be some in stock somewhere. That engine is used in no end of GM product.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 27 June 2021, 17:22:29 »

Yep, that is what I now think after asking questions about doing the work.  My dealer sometimes worries me when they come up with prices - two hours work they reckoned - they are having a giraffe!! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

Thinking about it, I should have offered to do it for £100 with a free coffee while you wait....
Would you want the liability?  :D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 27 June 2021, 17:31:41 »

For the work? Sure.
Where's my liability for a customer supplied part?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 27 June 2021, 17:42:38 »

Good point, well made :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 27 June 2021, 17:47:59 »

But if they supply a hookie sensor then they get to keep replacing it until it works long enough to last their liability period.  ;)

Not to mention the time saving we spend smacking our heads against the wall...

Yes, thanks DG, I do understand that but no way is it going into their garage on the bassis of a quote like that!  They cannot know what they are talking about, which is now common when it comes to some issues with our out of production, 'old' cars! ::) ::) ;)

I can and will do the job myself once I get the sensor, one way or another ;D ;D ;D :)
Go in there tomorrow morning. Ask to speak to the Workshop foreman. Show him the quote, then show him the guide, then ask the book time. Then ask them for a fresh quote.

It should halve the original quote as a minimum. The last Crank senosr I bought was around £78 inc. Add a the book time in labour and you should be around the £110-120 mark.

This removes all responsibility for the sensor supplied and warranties the part and labour for a year.

If it lasts a year, then happy days. If it doesn't, then you take it back and they fix it FOC.

In your shoes, this is what I would do and not worry about it.

Personally, in my shoes, I would seek out a genuine sensor from a genuine source. They're not made to order so there will be some in stock somewhere. That engine is used in no end of GM product.

I agree with everything you say DG, but I do nort want to pay even £100 for work I can well do myself.  The OOF guide, plus the help given in this thread, arms me with everything I need.  As  said by Nick, the "genuine" Vx part was made by Bosch anyway, and I have been trying to source one for two days now without success.  Indeed the Bosch one maybe freely available online which, for back up sake, I have ordered, but I have yet to find a local supplier of Bosch who can supply this part.  I am running out of options, but will be trying again when certain dealers are open again.

I have followed up on the lead given to me by Andy H for a dealer in Canterbury, but a closer source maybe in hand more locally, if they have this exact Omega compatible part.  Tomorrow I will find out, but that is another day :D :D :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 27 June 2021, 17:53:30 »

For the work? Sure.
Where's my liability for a customer supplied part?

.....and that is the position my Vx dealer will take up.  They have fitted before non-GM / Vx parts I have supplied in the past, but have explained their guarantee will only cover the work carried out to fit.  If the part proves faulty I have to obtain the refund from the supplier, with a limited time scale, and I would have to cover the cost of refitting.  Yes, I could take small claims action to recover my losses, but do I want that hassle?  Bloody hell no!! :o :o 

I will fit the part, whatever it turns out to be, after 51+ years of experience and knowledge carrying out car mechanics. ;D ;D :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 27 June 2021, 17:56:01 »

..................I would still like to know though the difference between the Bosch Pulse sensor and a RPM one? ??? ??? :D ;)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 27 June 2021, 18:03:31 »

..................I would still like to know though the difference between the Bosch Pulse sensor and a RPM one? ??? ??? :D ;)
It's a Hall effect sensor, they're both the same thing, surely?
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 27 June 2021, 18:12:01 »

One is a description of how it works, tother a description of what it measures.

Only one person could get six pages out of a crank sensor that could have been fixed with 24-48 hours of failing.

I can't wait for the sequels: Will it turn up?, Will it work?, How do I fit it? And the Autmn special It's failed already...  ;D
« Last Edit: 27 June 2021, 18:13:53 by Doctor Gollum »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 27 June 2021, 18:14:34 »

One is a description of how it works, tother a description of what it measures.

Only one person could get six pages out of a crank sensor.

I can't wait for the sequels: Will it turn up?, Will it work?, How do I fit it? And the Autmn special It's failed already...  ;D

Ah, but it is about an Omega part failure and replacemet, not an "Associated Word" thread or anything else not Omega car related, so if it helps me and others with Omega's then why not? ::) ::) ;)

You are being cynical again! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 27 June 2021, 18:16:05 »

All the helpful stuff would fit on a single page.

Omega owners fall into two categories...

1. How fast does it go around a car park?

2. Lifetime owners who already know all the foibles and continue to own them knowing what that means.

There may be a sub category of those who would like to be committed to their Omegas but don't quite appreciate or wish to accept what that really means.
« Last Edit: 27 June 2021, 18:20:07 by Doctor Gollum »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 27 June 2021, 18:20:25 »

All the helpful stuff would fit on a single page.

Omega owners fall into two categories...

1. How fast does it go around a car park?

2. Lifetime owners who already know all the foibles and continue to own them knowing what that means.

There may be a sub category of those who would like to be committed to their Omegas but don't quite appreciate or wish to accept what that really means.
« Last Edit: Today at 18:20:07 by Doctor Gollum

Really?? ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think after owning and paying for / carrying out all maintenance on FIVE Omega's I think I readily accept what Omega ownership means! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

« Last Edit: 27 June 2021, 18:23:37 by Lizzie Zoom »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 27 June 2021, 18:22:33 »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 27 June 2021, 18:29:45 »

...............and just to add the AA mechanic, one since 1989, spoke of all the different sensor issues with various Omega's, Mercs and others, plus how they do and have reached difficult parts of engines to do various work in cars going back to Morris's and Austin's with the classic A series engines that I still love, for about an hour whilst investigating my issue.  All could have filled a book! ;D ;D ;D ;D

So, when it comes to the love of cars, and sorting all the issues, or just one, we can spend pages or hours going through all the good, bad and ugly stuff.  Great is it not? :D :D :D :)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.