Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 3D Printer Chat  (Read 17472 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: 3D Printer Chat
« Reply #15 on: 28 December 2019, 15:42:19 »

As said, extrusion/hotend temp might be high, retraction too low or print speed too fast.
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 December 2019, 16:44:46 »

I think it might be a while before I can print anything ... useful ;D

That's meant to be three perfect little cone shapes - not the blobby mess that it currently is!
sell it on Ebay as a one off, collectible  "Frozen 2" merchandise $£$£   :y

aaronjb

« Reply #17 on: 28 December 2019, 16:48:21 »

As said, extrusion/hotend temp might be high, retraction too low or print speed too fast.

I've tried lots of combinations of that so far - results remain the same.. temp down to 190C (which is the low end of what it's meant to be printed at, according to the spec sheet with the PLA), retraction up to 12mm, print speeds down to 45mm/s and up to 100mm/s, it all looks pretty much identical, which is weird..

Probably need to put some more time into the basics first really - calibrate the extruder, then calibrate the per-mm settings for everything else, then try again  :y

But it's printing a Benchy Boat right now, just for shits & giggles so that will be tomorrows job ;D

STEMO

« Reply #18 on: 28 December 2019, 17:21:22 »

I take it the raw material used is cheap enough for you to be pissing around like a small child 😂

aaronjb

« Reply #19 on: 28 December 2019, 17:52:38 »

I take it the raw material used is cheap enough for you to be pissing around like a small child 😂

£20 gets you 300m of the stuff .. so it's fairly inexpensive :y Cheaper than bar stock and sheet metal, anyway!

aaronjb

« Reply #20 on: 28 December 2019, 19:05:15 »

Boaty looks a bit off .. there's even a little burnt looking blob in there:

That was down at 190C, 45mm/s print speed, 10mm retraction. I think perhaps I'm over extruding and/or the print head is hotter than it reports or the filament is a bit crap..

Any recommendations on filament?

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 December 2019, 19:09:40 »

Now is the time to go join that facebook thing that we all avoid...Join into the closed groups who are all into this 3D printing..

I know its facebook,but there really is some great closed groups for these hobbies.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 December 2019, 10:39:04 »

Try with the speed much lower. Just to see.

I personally use Hobbyking PLA, which costs around £6 - £15 per kilo, but be wary of ordering from their Global warehouse, as not only will customs hit you, but their courier, ArseholeForce, will also scam you £15 on top.

I've honestly never printed a Benchy, but just for shits, I might.  I did promise myself I'd fix some of the wear and tear issues on mine this Christmas, and relocate to a better location, but I've not been feeling too great :(.  My X axis belt is a loose as a dorset girl in a marina, and I have a slight twist on the frame.
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #23 on: 30 December 2019, 10:43:34 »

I think I may have found the primary culprit in the stringing and blobbing - the part cooling fan wasn't running ::)

If I print from the SD card, it runs fine - spins up while the warming cycle begins and continues spinning throughout the print, resulting in much, much less stringing and regular looking parts (still some stringing, but I'd gone back to "default" settings for this test).
If I print the same gcode from OctoPrint, the fan spins up while the warming cycle is going and then the instant the head starts moving .. the fan stops.

Googling around, there's lots of other people reporting the same thing with various causes - some people have had driver boards fail (but then surely it wouldn't run printing from the SD card), others have noted that using auto levelling fixes it (I'm using just manual levelling right now).

Very odd, that the same gcode one way works fine but another (streamed over USB) doesn't, which implies a firmware problem to me. The firmware is open source so technically I could go digging.. but y'know, I just wanted to print some stuff  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 December 2019, 10:55:44 »

Firstly, forget Octoprint.  Its a buggy PoS, and adds complexity and unreliability for no benefit*

Get it sorted on the SD card method, then worry about trying to make it annoyingly complex.

Fan speeds are set in the slicer - what are you using?
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30 December 2019, 11:00:40 »

The fan is small, so you wont get driver problems unless you are a complete moron.

Try to look at generic causes of these types of bad print - it was obvious yours was too hot or too fast - rather than specifics for your printer. As a person involved in (proper) IT, you will soon learn that most 3d printer forums are full of idiots ;)

Also, don't adjust stuff in the firmware, adjust it in the slicer instead :y.  Trust me, it works better, particularly if you change materials.
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #26 on: 30 December 2019, 11:18:13 »

Firstly, forget Octoprint.  Its a buggy PoS, and adds complexity and unreliability for no benefit*

But the internet* says it's great! ;D

Fan speeds are set in the slicer - what are you using?

Cura 4.4.1 at the moment - I have read that slic3r is meant to be "better" but requires a lot more tweaking, Cura has an out-of-the-box profile for the printer so I figured that would be a good place for a n00b to start :)

I think the remaining stringies on my last test print (190ºC print temp, 60ºC plate temp, 6mm retraction, 45mm/s print speed, 100mm/s travel speed, cooling at 100%) are probably because the cooling fan only blows from one side - the stringies are all from the 'leeward' side, so to speak, as the print head moves down-wind..

Running another couple of little test prints right now, one at 'draft' layer height and one at the finest layer height in Cura's default profiles, slightly slowed down from draft.

All printing from the SD card now, since then the fan actually runs  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30 December 2019, 11:31:11 »

Cura is pretty good now TBH, its improved massively since v2.

On Thingiverse, are there any fan ducts to improve cooling at the nozzle?
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #28 on: 30 December 2019, 13:31:08 »

On Thingiverse, are there any fan ducts to improve cooling at the nozzle?

Yup .. many! I just joined one of the FB groups like Steve suggested and that's a commonly discussed first 'upgrade'.. granted one person commented that they were printing their upgraded fan duct on their 'other' 3D printer - an SLA printer ;D

I'll have a bash at printing one - the stock cooler fan is incredibly weedy (barely a breeze, I could blow harder ;D) so there are some ducts that take standard 40mm (24V) axial fans, too.

Ah, upgradeitis ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30 December 2019, 13:43:08 »

You will print a few, trust me ;D

Also, you may find that you may need to print in ABS, as the PLA ones can go a bit soft in the hot air around the extruder.  So plenty of experimentation to be done.

I have printed loads of different ones for my Anet A8, and settled on one that blows from 2 different angles. Its so effective, I have to set the slicer to use max fan speed of about 40% :o
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.