Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I fit Standard rear springs to my Elite with non-functioning level control?  (Read 1858 times)

Titanium

• Omega Elite 3.2
    • View Profile

Hello Everyone,

I recently got new tyres on my 2002 3.2 Elite Saloon and the garage said one of the rear springs was broken in two places. The MOT is due in December and I'll need to get this work done by a local garage.

The car has (had) self levelling rear suspension 'level control' but this ceased to function about 10 years ago when the ECU 'failed' and jacked up the back end like a dragster. I removed the cable from the ECU and the car went back to a 'normal' height. Its been like this ever since. So although it has level control, we cant use it.

Money is tight and I'm keen to fit low cost springs. I have been reading the forums and researching options and there is a lot of discussion about this while the cost and specification of aftermarket springs vary a lot.

My question is, can I fit standard springs to the car even though it currently has the original self levelling versions? The vehicle does under 1k per year and I just need to get it through the MOT, however I don't want it to look 'silly' by being too high (or too low) at the rear.

I'd appreciate any advice and yes, I plan to have BOTH rear springs changed together, but I DON'T want to change the shock absorbers which are currently the self-levelling type.

I'm currently considering two:

KVB - RJ6226 - 268mm length - inconstant wire diameter
KVB - RX5414 - 251mm length - constant wire diameter

I've checked out this link and it does seem possible?! https://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90537.0

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Gary

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile

Not only can you do it but you should do it.
Elite rear springs are far too soft and bouncy without the self levelling working.
A pair of standard springs will make it much nicer and safer to drive.
I assume youve already swapped the self levelling shocks for non s/l/ shocks ?
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303820182859

My spring recommendation.

The air shocks set the ride height, so don't worry too much about that.

Also they are easy enough to fit on the drive, although the lower shock bolt can be a pig to undo.  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile

Since the air shocks haven't worked for ten years , I'd be fitting standard ones whilst in there.
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Titanium

• Omega Elite 3.2
    • View Profile

Hello Everyone,

Thank you very much for your help. I'm going to change both the springs with standard ones and I'm considering changing the shocks which as you say probably should be changed as they are the original ones. I must add though that the vehicle only has 55k on the clock. Do you think I could/should keep the original shocks in that case? As I will be paying a garage to do the work I'm conscious that it shouldn't be much more labour to change the shocks as the lower bolts will be disconnected when the suspension is dropped to change the springs - leaving just the top mounts in the boot to remove. However cost is a big concern. I just don't want to find the shocks fail the MOT next year and I've got to have the job done again.

The Sachs shocks Doctor Gollum has kindly referenced are gas-filled. Is this the preference to oil-filled ones?

Thanks once again for your help.

Kind regards,

Gary

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

The ones I linked are, to the best of my knowledge, the same as fitted to Omega saloons without self levelling.

If your self levelling is still working, then you can just fit the springs that I linked to.

If your self levelling isn't working, then you will need the shocks as well.

I always recommend the Sachs shocks because they contain the exact same fittings as the factory ones, whereas the alternatives such as Bilstein use much more generic fittings and I have had issues with them.

Of course others will swear different, but having replaced the shocks and springs on several Omegas for other people as well as my own, the above has been my consistent recommendation.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile

The self levelling shocks wont be working correctly (if at all) if the s/l system has been disabled. Dont see how you could keep them on the car like that personally. If you change the shocks, dont just bin the old ones. If they are in decent condition they will be worth selling to someone who needs a pair.
I might even be tempted to restore the levelling on mine if a pair were available. Mine was put on ordinary shocks when one of the bladders on the s/l shocks burst a few years ago.
« Last Edit: 12 September 2022, 19:29:09 by Migv6 le Frog Fan »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Titanium

• Omega Elite 3.2
    • View Profile

Good afternoon everyone,

I wanted to update you on this and say thanks for all your advice, especially to 'Doctor Gollum' whose eBay links really helped. I purchased the springs and shocks he recommended (from the seller he recommended) and they have been fitted by my local garage without issue. Its so far so good. The car is the correct ride height, it passed its MOT and the headlamps aren't pointing to the floor, nor is the Self Levelling pump running continuously. However I have no idea how the Self Levelling system was disabled (by Vauxhall main dealer) because the Relay and Fuse are as they should be and from what I understand the actuator on the rear is plugged in. Having said all that I'm still getting periodic 'Headlamp Range' warnings on the information display which I was getting before the Self Levelling shocks were changed. Is this connected in anyway?

On another note 'Migv6 le Frog Fan' said they may be interested in the old self-levelling shocks. I have them and am happy (and one good spring) to discuss a price if Migv6 or anyone else is interested. To the best of my knowledge they work, but the metal casings are quite rusty. How can I post share/pics?

Once again thanks very much for your help. Its good to have the car roadworthy again. As an a-side my wifes car was in the garage this week and she was forced to drive the 'old Omega'. However when she got home she said she'd like to swap her Honda EX Civic for it....!

Kind regards,

Gary

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Good result :y

There are two actuators on the rear axle... Lefthand one is headlight level sensor, Righthand is the height level sensor for the old air shocks and can be ignored. The pump won't run unless the car is overloaded and the fuse can be removed permanently.

There is also a sensor on the left front wishbone is also a headlight sensor.

The two headlight sensors are totally independent of the self levelling and the range warning will be from those left hand sensors... Intermittent suggests a wiring/plug issue.  :y

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile

Whenever I have had the 'Headlight Range' warning on the dash, it has generally been the actuator arm ball joints on the front nearside wishbone. Not the plug or the wiring, but the ball joints at either end of the rod seizing due to all the road dirt / grit/ water from the road wheel. They can be freed off with care, but I find it is easier to take it off and do it on the bench. Whoever does it should do it carefully as genuine replacements (even used) are becoming difficult to find.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile

this is one thing that has always puzzled me.
if the arm comes out of the socket and effectively stops reporting  the suspension movement as it thinks the car is level how does it bring up a fault. or does the sensor move itself to a kind of error position ? ive not noticed them to be spring loaded to any side ?
just curious
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.