Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: New tyres for the Disco  (Read 4200 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
New tyres for the Disco
« on: 24 October 2022, 09:11:52 »

Following two non-repairable punctures in as many months, I am looking at getting a new pair of boots for the Disco. To do this I need to shuffle the wheels around to get like-for-like tyres on each axle (both punctures are driver’s side, front and rear). What’s on it are some sort of all weather thing that are close to £300 each. :o I really don't need this capability, so I won't be bothering with those! Good mid-range tyres are a little over half that, budgets, well under half.

This raises two questions. Firstly, if I shuffle the tyres will I have to get the car hooked up to a spotty yoof’s laptop to get the TPMS reshuffled, or does it know which sensor is where on the car without being told? Secondly, will running different tread levels front to back have any negative effects on the drivetrain? I’ve heard about some 4x4 being ‘sensitive’ to differing tread depths on tyres and I was previously planning on rotating the tyres and replacing all four at once when worn.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: New tyres for the Disco
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2022, 10:23:28 »

Can't comment on the TPMS system fitted to that, but the system fitted to my XJ is self learning, it just takes a couple of journeys with a 30 min stop between it seems, for it to learn the new wheel positions.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2022, 10:26:08 »

I imagine the later systems fitted will be broadly similar.  But if nobody knows, PM me the reg, and I'll try to take a gander on TOPix...   ...although I'm away for a few days in some miserable place in Suffolk, so might not be prompt to respond :(
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 October 2022, 10:46:17 »

On a similar subject

I enquired at BMW for tyre prices when I dropped off the car for the EGR Cooler recall the other week as it will need new rear boots (275/35/19 Runflats) and was surprised to find that they can supply the same tyres as currently fitted (Michelin Primacy ZP's with BMW OE * markings) for £30 less than an independent can supply non-BMW OEM * marked versions.... Given mine also has TPMS my thinking is if BMW break the modules when fitting the tyres then that's their problem!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 October 2022, 10:49:31 »

The machines shouldn't go near the valves, so they should be hard to "break".  I suspect if they did manage to break them, somehow it would be your fault and chargable though ;D

I bought 4 new genuine JLR TPMS sensors and valves for a spare set of wheels I acquired for the XJ, £45 for all 4.
Grumpy old man

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 October 2022, 10:51:34 »

I've had various 4x4s since 1987 & have always replaced tyres 4 at a time as this is the advice I was given to ensure no problems are encountered with the vehicle, I have never had any issues after following this advice, some members on the RRS forum have had issues with varying tread depths.
« Last Edit: 24 October 2022, 10:56:16 by Rangie »
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 October 2022, 12:28:52 »

I imagine the later systems fitted will be broadly similar.  But if nobody knows, PM me the reg, and I'll try to take a gander on TOPix...   ...although I'm away for a few days in some miserable place in Suffolk, so might not be prompt to respond :(

The sun always shines in Suffolk.  ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 October 2022, 12:35:01 »

Goodyear Eagle F1 Assym 3 SUV on the Alabama Mumsybus to good effect  ;)

The idea of replacing all four tyres is about protecting the transfer box and something that I first encountered on my old Sierra XR4x4. Which incidentally had a chain driven transfer box with a pair of viscous clutches, as does the Alabama Mumsybus.  :)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 October 2022, 12:46:14 »

I thought the 4x4 tyre issue was more about AWD Haldex systems as found in cars like Audis rather than 'proper' 4x4's like a Discovery?  ???

Although I'd imagine that the transfer box in a Disco 5 is a very different beastie to that found in a Defender or earlier Disco, so I'm probably talking out of my arse.  :)

As usual!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 October 2022, 13:55:18 »

Proper transfer box so no tread depth matching issues.

TPMS system does learn the location of the tyres over a few miles so nothing special needed

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 October 2022, 13:58:44 »

Goodyear Eagle F1 Assym 3 SUV on the Alabama Mumsybus to good effect  ;)

The idea of replacing all four tyres is about protecting the transfer box and something that I first encountered on my old Sierra XR4x4. Which incidentally had a chain driven transfer box with a pair of viscous clutches, as does the Alabama Mumsybus.  :)

That's not a 'transfer' box in the traditional sense, it's a torque vectoring unit (a similar PUCH one was used on Cav and Calibra 4x4s). These can suffer with tyre tread mismatch, but its dependent on the 'flavour'. The good ones use fluid couplings to apportion power front rear

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 October 2022, 17:20:43 »

(a similar PUCH one was used on Cav and Calibra 4x4s).  ....
And look how successful they were ....  ::) ::)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 October 2022, 08:35:16 »

TPMS system does learn the location of the tyres over a few miles so nothing special needed

Good news indeed, thanks Mark.

I bought 4 new genuine JLR TPMS sensors and valves for a spare set of wheels I acquired for the XJ, £45 for all 4.

That seems extremely good value! Were these from JLR direct, or an eGay find?  EDIT: a quick look online seems to indicate they are the same part number as for XJ 2010 on - LR070840

On the subject of TPMS, roughly how long are they supposed to last (assume for these lifespan in years is more relevant than miles?)? If they aren't that dear I might get them replaced when the next two tyres need replacing. Would probably be about 5.5yrs / 60,000 miles old by then.  :-\
« Last Edit: 25 October 2022, 08:40:06 by Viral_Jim »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 October 2022, 11:24:33 »

They were superb if looked after, needed 50k mile oil changes, matched tread depths, and accumulators changing occasionally. Of course, most didn't bother!

Well-maintained units would do 200k miles with no issues, no different to the Haldex and slipper systems of today  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 October 2022, 11:27:13 »

Good news indeed, thanks Mark.

That seems extremely good value! Were these from JLR direct, or an eGay find?  EDIT: a quick look online seems to indicate they are the same part number as for XJ 2010 on - LR070840

On the subject of TPMS, roughly how long are they supposed to last (assume for these lifespan in years is more relevant than miles?)? If they aren't that dear I might get them replaced when the next two tyres need replacing. Would probably be about 5.5yrs / 60,000 miles old by then.  :-\

I ssked this of the TPMS team a few weeks ago when they were hogging the airline at the work fuel station. The answer was 7 to 10 years typically but, there was also a mileage factor or 'time in motion' as they communicate when moving

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 October 2022, 12:13:02 »

Thanks Mark, I hadn't considered the units 'going to sleep' when not moving, makes perfect sense though! I'll probably get them done for the sake of completeness, not a big outlay at the side of £700+ on a set of tyres!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 October 2022, 21:55:08 »

They were superb if looked after, needed 50k mile oil changes, matched tread depths, and accumulators changing occasionally. Of course, most didn't bother!

Well-maintained units would do 200k miles with no issues, no different to the Haldex and slipper systems of today  :y

I just remember that in the day, loads of 4x4 drove around in 2 wheel drive .... they pulled a fuse somewhere  :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 October 2022, 12:29:32 »

T'was Gay of E.  I'd need to cross ref the part numbers, as LR is Landrover, JDE is Jaguar, and C2D is part of the long term plan to align part numbers and prices (LR were always cheaper...   ...but fear not, LR prices are rising to match Jag, not the other way round, bastids).

I expect the later XJ ones are different, as the system reports tyre pressures.  Mine just alerts if one is 25% less than it should be, or something like that.

As far as I can work out, mine are original, so coming up to 13yrs old if fitted at factory, or about 12yrs old if fitted at PDI.  Mileage wise, not quite 150k - It turned over 147k at precisely the time I was waving to that Grand Tour come Farmer geezer in his L322...   ...I might have been a bit distracted looking at the dash, and not at him pulling out ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 October 2022, 13:12:39 »

Actually, probably is same sensor, as her car takes the same ones, and that does display actual pressures.  Listed for my Jags as part C2D47173
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 October 2022, 14:07:42 »

Can't you just search for the Ford part numbers...  :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 October 2022, 14:45:27 »

Can't you just search for the Ford part numbers...  :D
Leftover electronic parts from the Ford era tend to have FoMoCo logos on the back, these don't.  TBH, even on my 2010 car, there is little that has FoMoCo stuff...    ...in fact, only seen it on the IAM.

JLR do seem to drop stuff from the previous owner's part bins quite quickly. Look how quickly they dumped the dreadfully unreliable 7 series electrics from the L322...
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 October 2022, 15:55:09 »

Does the FType still use the Ford V6? :D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 October 2022, 15:56:12 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 October 2022, 09:53:29 »

I think you might mean do Ford still use the pre-Ford Jaguar design ;).  But no idea or interest if the current 3l petrol V6 is still derived from that, or a new design
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 October 2022, 09:56:29 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165475806469
Ignoring the outrageous price, they look different to the ones in mine.

Just paid £45 for a 2nd set  of 4 to use as spares, now that DTM has scared me into thinking mine are about to expire ;D
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30 October 2022, 09:58:19 »

Thanks TB, reassuring that mine probably have a bit of life left in them! Although given the state of price inflation ATM, I may pick a set up as spares 🤣

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30 October 2022, 10:00:31 »

Thanks TB, reassuring that mine probably have a bit of life left in them! Although given the state of price inflation ATM, I may pick a set up as spares 🤣
PM me reg, and I'll look up all possible current and superseded part numbers for yours tomorrow (y), if that nice Mr DTM fella doesn't beat me to it :)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30 October 2022, 10:05:40 »

ronnyd, I was the wrong side of the Orwell.  I did catch some sunshine before I crossed over - https://youtu.be/eIwIu16Skq4

But all the time I was East of the Orwell, this was the best sun I got - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNZ7TwZLkfg
Grumpy old man

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30 October 2022, 11:52:13 »

ronnyd, I was the wrong side of the Orwell.  I did catch some sunshine before I crossed over - https://youtu.be/eIwIu16Skq4

But all the time I was East of the Orwell, this was the best sun I got - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNZ7TwZLkfg
Thanks for the links TB. Nice to see places where i walk when i go to Felixstowe or Woodbridge. Great views along Orwell to Pln Mill with the Trinity terminal at Felixstowe in the distance. Also along to Woodbridge and the Tide Mill, then back to Adastral Park at Martlesham.  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30 October 2022, 11:55:32 »

ronnyd, if you regularly cross over the Orwell (and clearly you do being able to point out the landmarks), can you just count you only have 5 fingers per hand?
Grumpy old man

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 30 October 2022, 11:58:27 »

ronnyd, if you regularly cross over the Orwell (and clearly you do being able to point out the landmarks), can you just count you only have 5 fingers per hand?
Only 4, the other digit is called a thumb.  :P  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 30 October 2022, 12:02:52 »

That will change if you keep going to far east....
Grumpy old man

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 30 October 2022, 12:07:13 »

That will change if you keep going to far east....
Any further and i could end up with slanty eyes.  ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 31 October 2022, 07:33:23 »

It never was an engine Ford used

It was a design JLR did massive development on to create the blown V8 and then they dropped two cylinders (block is the same length and angle) to create the V6

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 31 October 2022, 08:07:13 »

Didn't stop them casting it with FoMoCo all over it...  :D

Not looking for a fight about it, just that I find it an amusing sidenote.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 31 October 2022, 13:27:16 »

I thought the FoMoCo one was used in the s-type, x-type & XJ (plus about 12 early XFs) up until about 2009, same one that Aston welded together in pairs to make the V12 for the DB9 et al (not actually welded, before anyone gets smart  ;)).

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 31 October 2022, 21:09:08 »

https://youtu.be/z97PBTyvmZ0

Was the video series that raised the tongue in cheek observation  ;)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02 November 2022, 08:26:24 »

Didn't stop them casting it with FoMoCo all over it...  :D

Not looking for a fight about it, just that I find it an amusing sidenote.

V6 and V8 engines were assembled at Fords Bridgend plant until a few years ago.

Consequently all castings had FoMoCo on them as that was the production origin (not the design)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 02 November 2022, 16:04:03 »

https://youtu.be/z97PBTyvmZ0

Was the video series that raised the tongue in cheek observation  ;)

I used to run my 5.0 SC XFR with the crappy plastic engine cover removed. It looked better. Sold it on Ebay for around £150 with the front splitters which I also removed because they were too easy to scrape. :-X

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.