Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wheel Refurbishment  (Read 3505 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel Refurbishment
« Reply #15 on: 28 November 2022, 23:30:54 »

These are they!  :y

Well a set of those would more than double the value of the car I suppose....  ::)
And they won't leak ;)

If I end up spending that sort of money on new wheels they'll come with a car attached!  :-X  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 November 2022, 23:50:18 »

I would never use 'goo' (not the lube to install a tyre) to attempt to repair or seal a leaking / faulty rim - tyre fitters nightmare apparantly.
There are wheel refurbishment places near me that say they can remove 'up and down' flat spots on alloy rims, as long as it is a gentle indentation rather than a severe crease. The weakest point of any wheel is the inside rim which is furthest away from the spokes (thats one reason why you shouldn't straddle individual speed humps too fast, especially with low profile tyres as this puts extra stress on the inside of the rim which is the weakest point... :y). They use wheel straightening machines, which locate the defect in the rim, and then hydraulically remove the twist, flat spot or indentation returning the rim back to being perfectly true. This is normally done as part of the refurbishment process, but I'm sure it could be done purely to straighten a rim that didn't otherwise need any cosmetic repair.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 November 2022, 00:02:01 »

Well a set of those would more than double the value of the car I suppose....  ::)
And they won't leak ;)

If I end up spending that sort of money on new wheels they'll come with a car attached!  :-X  ;D
A decent refurb is £75 per wheel, give or take.

I have used these guys to good effect...

Wheel Works
01293 907663

https://g.co/kgs/9gDx1W

They made the wheels on The Barge look like new. Although it doubled what they cost to buy in the first place.  :D

And apparently they do Mondeo wheels  ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 November 2022, 08:26:50 »

In my limited experience, wheel refurbers respond well to persuasive negotiation on price. Especially when someone turns up with a wodge of paper money. :y
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 November 2022, 08:34:22 »

And they won't leak ;)

If I end up spending that sort of money on new wheels they'll come with a car attached!  :-X ;D

Round here, that sort of money gets a wheel chemically stripped, minor gouges filled and the whole wheel painted the same colour.  It's more of a tart-up than a refurb, and certainly doesn't include any straightening or crack repairs. Those are extra, and are priced on a per job basis. And as previously mentioned, the closer any damage is to the mounting face, the less likely a repair is to be successful.

I know of cheaper firms, but they're just sanding, filling and repainting wheels which is what the car dealers want.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 November 2022, 10:07:34 »

Had a fairly major buckle on an Irmscher wheel on previous car done by Lepsons at Gillingham .Kent.

Would regularly loose air over space of few days and as you got really fed up keep pumping it up at all hours of the day.

Lepsons is quite Old School and will repair or refurbish as required and they also offer collection and delivery but imagine the costs to Dorset and back would be pricey...but just my experience they did a very god job

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 November 2022, 10:12:49 »

Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 November 2022, 10:16:06 »

The price you'll pay for 1 refurbishment you could possibly buy a set of 4 from eBay, gumtree, FB.
Hoof'land storeman.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 November 2022, 10:16:32 »

Actually, this reminds me. The n/s front on the Omega has always lost a couple of psi per week since I bought the car.
Had a few tyre changes, including cleaning up the rim, but its still the same.
Got to do front discs / pads next week, so must remember to try and find where it leaks from while the wheel is off.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29 November 2022, 10:21:25 »

I paid £50 a corner to have mine cleaned and reseated. Must say that it certainly done the trick.  :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29 November 2022, 10:22:14 »

The price you'll pay for 1 refurbishment you could possibly buy a set of 4 from eBay, gumtree, FB.

Not for that type. The ones in the link I posted need a refurb and they are £750.
I dont particularly like them tbh, and they are a pig to keep clean.
Might look at doing a swap with a set of more standard type of wheels, once Ive worn the tyres out on these.

Something like this.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334635051143?epid=1316399118&hash=item4de9cda887:g:tmkAAOSwp2ti5twA&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsHHh9m155R5MaMZr5D7gbqQswlIQSTojLoNW77WkiZUmRqB7Hu5%2BBTqVgzu%2FssPsaKFEMTJb3Ob%2FY2LxEanHCdaeZQ5ogr3oo694A3mvduHfmsQBVNu0VDN8xSMhSzEzxi77vM1YvIKkQfpmPxqrvOPqJ51aQvAAOSFPMGW0QuZwYtPvSZekTXrhsCAvAtoqw1GQnyqZWW%2Bj3x0rPPdz1VleD81%2BM%2Fv5RGD4m0U2o5ii%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR8qMva6YYQ

Easy to keep clean, and to repaint when needed.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 November 2022, 10:27:10 »

And they won't leak ;)

If I end up spending that sort of money on new wheels they'll come with a car attached!  :-X ;D

Round here, that sort of money gets a wheel chemically stripped, minor gouges filled and the whole wheel painted the same colour.  It's more of a tart-up than a refurb, and certainly doesn't include any straightening or crack repairs. Those are extra, and are priced on a per job basis. And as previously mentioned, the closer any damage is to the mounting face, the less likely a repair is to be successful.

I know of cheaper firms, but they're just sanding, filling and repainting wheels which is what the car dealers want.
Wheelworks pricing is pretty transparent  ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29 November 2022, 10:53:55 »

And they won't leak ;)

Wheelworks pricing is pretty transparent  ;)
Welding is an extra £35+ per wheel and straightening is £20+, so if a wheel is cracked and bent, then you're looking at another £66 on top of the refinishing ;)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29 November 2022, 11:29:55 »

If you're looking for someone local, and are prepared to risk north of the border, then I've used these before https://www.wheelshine.co.uk/

They're located on the trading estate just south of Yeovil Town Football club. I've had my Omega and LC wheels done by them, and one buckled omega rim repaired.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 November 2022, 12:12:35 »

The wheels on the Boxster could do with a refurb, but its unlikely to happen.
20 bolts per wheel that often snap on removal, and I believe they are around a fiver each,
Thats before the actual refurb cost.
I have always done my own up to now, but not easy to do with these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275097496470?epid=1916390905&hash=item400d16ab96:g:cQcAAOSwXqhh2YBN&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAwMT65dSb%2FjZQ3%2FCPjtt6n9JUQ9KQgtsmJT37IwFIiHW6KR0NGegstS3ovcFT0GLKuZvp3Bgy3VYsuA017YXlmJtuweEyNbPwkUETUFi22nLGw2Gh5JA1zk9d9cNCmR7tFciqeAc3iDmnmFcA%2FLKtMDs6%2Bv0%2F1BZm%2BIvplVwUhZpeUsX%2BM6zq%2FBmQ%2Brs8v%2B02h9v3LcUAwUQdbf32fpiwDGR5qTBvh37IPBXLHA5qrVdEl2amaoS2UwtAXEFP4B0CTg%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4jN4a2YYQ
Bet you could get away with 12-14 bolts easy, doesn't matter if you snap a few  ;D
Diesel till I die
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.