Author Topic: LPG  (Read 1220 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
LPG
« on: 17 March 2022, 19:24:58 »

I was think about getting another LPG'ed car with the increased fuel costs, but it seems that filling stations that sell LPG are disappearing.  :-\

My local fuel station where I used to fill up with LPG when I had my Omega, stopped selling it in January. Shame.  :(

I've never really understood why it never took off and remained a niche market.  :-\  ???
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: LPG
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2022, 20:15:18 »

Thats why I had to go to dirty diesel.

BP slowly removed it from most of their forecourts, then Countrywide couldn't be bothered to fix their pump in Banbury, then close it after 2 years, citing lack of use.  Then the Shell's started removing it.

I guess, despite being a greener fuel, the misinformed do-gooders probably made out it was evil.
Grumpy old man

Fraggles Rock

• Intermediate Member
  • United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2022, 20:33:46 »

Probably not helped by the green lane types that predominantly used it.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2022, 21:56:37 »

I was think about getting another LPG'ed car with the increased fuel costs, but it seems that filling stations that sell LPG are disappearing.  :-\

My local fuel station where I used to fill up with LPG when I had my Omega, stopped selling it in January. Shame.  :(

I've never really understood why it never took off and remained a niche market.  :-\  ???

No problem here Steve :y
Laying a rubber road.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2022, 11:05:03 »

It’s disappearing everywhere. The only way I can afford to keep running my Range Rover / keep it viable - is by fitting an additional gas tank. With the lack of stations, 70 litres for a V8 just isn’t enough …..

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2022, 19:46:39 »

I drove past a BP station fairly locally that used to sell LPG, but no longer.  :-\

Seems a fairly recent change as well.  :(

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2022, 10:01:10 »

It’s driving me nuts. Might have to look at a way to pump it out of a calor bottle at this rate  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2022, 10:08:21 »

It’s driving me nuts. Might have to look at a way to pump it out of a calor bottle at this rate  ;D

Ha ha yes.  ;D

Joking apart though I think it is possible and you can buy the equipment to do it.  :y

I think you'd need a property like a farm with plenty of room away from prying eyes though, as I wouldn't fancy doing that in a suburban garage!  :o

Hmm exploding garages.....  :-X                                                        ;D

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2022, 10:45:06 »

Ha ha yes.  ;D

Joking apart though I think it is possible and you can buy the equipment to do it.  :y

I think you'd need a property like a farm with plenty of room away from prying eyes though, as I wouldn't fancy doing that in a suburban garage!  :o

Hmm exploding garages.....  :-X                                                        ;D

Reading this reminded me of a touring caravan park owner who used to decant small amounts of gas from used butane bottles to refill others. He did it in a cellar, away from prying eyes i suppose, He didn't realise, or perhaps didn't care, about the gas being heavier than air until he created a spark one day.  ;D

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 March 2022, 12:12:08 »

Might be worth asking at a Motorhome dealership, as a lot of newer Motorhomes don't use refillable bottles anymore. They use underslung lpg tanks to save space within the Motorhome. I appreciate that they use it for cooking, heating etc. but they still fill up the lpg at garage forecourts. Just wondered if the dealerships would have a list of viable places to fill up.  :-\
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 March 2022, 15:15:37 »

LPG has been an absolute nightmare in and around London over the past few months, plenty of Stations but no Stock, and the prices are all over the place, Ive seen a couple of Stations where the Price is over a £1, since Shell has removed them, I was relying on Morrisons and Sainsburys but Sainsburys are just permanently OOS now with Morrisons Stocking then running out or the Pumps are oppsed again.  >:(

The Welcome break thingy at London Gateway M1 popped up the other morning at 59.9p and was completely out again by the afternoon.  ::)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 March 2022, 19:46:55 »

Cant get it at the calor gas place at Bow any more then ?
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 March 2022, 20:17:30 »

Ha ha yes.  ;D

Reading this reminded me of a touring caravan park owner who used to decant small amounts of gas from used butane bottles to refill others. He did it in a cellar, away from prying eyes i suppose, He didn't realise, or perhaps didn't care, about the gas being heavier than air until he created a spark one day.  ;D

Could this explain a certain incident a few years ago? ::) :) ;) ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.