Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Front shock  (Read 2028 times)

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
Front shock
« on: 08 August 2017, 08:15:27 »

Im having a little difficulty in removing the shock insert from the strut housing  :( There is a screw cap hoilding the shock in and it just wont budge . Had it soaked in p/fluid for days now and still no joy .. is there a special spanner for this or is just brute force and swearing  :(
Omegatitis

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Front shock
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2017, 08:40:45 »

The front shocks are not a serviceable part! Even if you did manage to disassemble one, how would you repressurise it?I have four strut pistons in my stash of useful material, and I used an angle grinder to remove them.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2017, 10:14:32 »

Nick , the replacement part is like the picture so i presumed you just undo the retaining nut and remove the shock  :-\ Cavalier mk3

« Last Edit: 08 August 2017, 10:21:22 by EMD »
Omegatitis

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2017, 11:30:44 »

Nick , the replacement part is like the picture so i presumed you just undo the retaining nut and remove the shock  :-\ Cavalier mk3

For a Cav thats the right bit,that nut is a bugger to undo and you may need some heat around the threaded area to release it
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2017, 12:03:25 »

Ok henry thanks , ill get some heat on it and more release fluid and see if that will shift it  ;)
Omegatitis

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2017, 12:05:09 »

it's been a long time since I did one of those, but I vaguely remember using a 24" long adjustable spanner. And a lot of swearing.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2017, 12:06:56 »

it's been a long time since I did one of those, but I vaguely remember using a 24" long adjustable spanner. And a lot of swearing.

Looks like i mite need a scaffold pole and a couple of meaty oofers on the end  ;D
Omegatitis

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 August 2017, 12:47:16 »

Looks like i mite need a scaffold pole and a couple of meaty oofers on the end  ;D

I used to undo them with an air chisel on the nut(not if it has to be used again though :-X)
other rides 

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 August 2017, 11:02:35 »

Well i used half a can of release fluid and obtained a 24inch stilson  :D Once the strut was clamped in the bench vice , a few heave ho on the stilson got it undone  :o Have not looked at the required torque to tighten but these seem very over tight  ::)
Omegatitis

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 August 2017, 11:07:03 »

Well i used half a can of release fluid and obtained a 24inch stilson  :D Once the strut was clamped in the bench vice , a few heave ho on the stilson got it undone  :o Have not looked at the required torque to tighten but these seem very over tight  ::)

20 years of water and crud around them has made them tight :y
other rides 

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 August 2017, 11:10:35 »

They look in good nick to be honest henry , no rust around the screw tops or inside .. Very little damping left in them and signs of leaking . Look like originals so for 25 yrs they lasted well  :y
Omegatitis

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 August 2017, 11:16:44 »

They look in good nick to be honest henry , no rust around the screw tops or inside .. Very little damping left in them and signs of leaking . Look like originals so for 25 yrs they lasted well  :y

I just checked autodata for the torque setting but they don't list it,FT should be fine ;D
other rides 

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 August 2017, 11:27:30 »

I just checked autodata for the torque setting but they don't list it,FT should be fine ;D

Yeah FT will do  :D Just the other side to do  ::)
Omegatitis
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.