Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rust treatment  (Read 1951 times)

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
Rust treatment
« on: 12 March 2020, 11:34:49 »

Which rust treatment do we think works best.Yes I know cut it out is preferred but for a temporary job which product does the best job.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Rust treatment
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2020, 12:14:24 »

May as well use Vaseline.
Onanists always think outside the box.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2020, 13:10:09 »

For a slightly less acidic response  ::), Bilt hamber Deox Gel is great but can be pricey
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2020, 17:21:41 »

deox gell is excellent but then so is oxalic acid which is basically the same thing and a lot cheaper. i also use a small sandblaster gus for localised areas but like you said cut of is the perfect solution as most of the rust is usually on the other side of what you actually see

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2020, 17:45:21 »

Bilt Hamber products are very good, and I use them on my classic cars. The better quality rust treatments can slow corrosion down, but utimately new metal is the only way, and that depends on whether the rusted area is cut back sufficiently. The only down side with any rust preventative wax based product, irrespective how good they are, if you intend welding near to the treated area any time in the future, it presents a greater fire hazard than normal.
For penetrating welded seams, Supertrol is excellent, whereas many treatments simply bridge them without giving that deep penetrating protection where it is needed.
There are different treatments depending whether the area to be treated 'requires converting from a rusty' surface (which isn't particularly effective generally), whether it is in a box section (protected from the extreme elements), or in a high impact area, such as chassis rails, under sills or wheelarches. etc.,
Everyone has their favourites, but these are the two I have tried. Dinitrol products have good reviews, but I have only ever used the spray on rust convertor, simply where it is needed in difficult to access areas before applying protection spray coatings.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2020, 19:23:16 »

Ive found Bilthamber Hydrate 80 to be much better than the Deox gel.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Smart

• Ukraine
    • Omega B 3.2 Executive
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 April 2020, 21:00:23 »

I use "RustStop", made in Canada. There are two types: liquid and thick. I pour liquid in hidden cavities. I put thick on the bottom, thresholds and side members outside.

« Last Edit: 07 April 2020, 21:04:47 by Smart »

kfashley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 November 2021, 17:54:05 »

I buy phosphoric acid. It is not easy to get hold of but is available online though I had to wait ages for it to arrive. It needs to be diluted to 10% before use so a little goes a long way. It converts rust to an inert phosphate layer but make sure to get most of the rust off before using it
If I am using it on body work with a paint finish I wash it off before applying a zinc based primer. If it is on the underbody I let it dry and then apply a mixture I saw described online. Equal measures of white spirit or paraffin/ heating oil. Put any old candle wax, stubs etc in the white spirit for a couple of weeks.  The wax is slow to dissolve but I make sure the solution is saturated. Then add to the paraffin. For me it works very well. I did try adding a little of the phosphoric acid to the mix but it will not blend in.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 November 2021, 22:51:33 »

I remember years ago I had a tin of US navy rust gel a friend of my Dad's got from the old polaris base up here, it was but it was decanted into an metal lyons syrup tin, and it ate right through the rust on the tin, so must have been good stuff, none of that water down shite youusually get! Garage I used to work in the guy had acquired a 2 pack chemical metal from the same place, it was two containers shaped like missiles, one red one black. We used it to fix a hole in a water pump housing, never leaked again!
« Last Edit: 30 November 2021, 22:53:20 by grifter »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.