Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Crank Sensor Failure  (Read 19117 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Crank Sensor Failure
« Reply #15 on: 24 June 2021, 12:49:33 »

Could also be a failing fuel pump.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 June 2021, 14:26:19 »

Could also be a failing fuel pump.

Yes, but the AA guy checked the fuel supply thoroughly and found fuel was definitely getting through every time he asked me repeatedly to turn on the ignition.  Also his tech check found nothing wrong in that respect.

But as omegod points out, whatever it is - the crank sensor must still be favourite and will be replaced when it arrives - it could well leave me stranded in a very bad place! ::) ::) :o ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 June 2021, 14:29:25 »

A failing fuel pump can cause poor starting, especially at lower tank levels.

I agree that the crank sensor is a likely culprit, just be mindful that it may not be the only issue.

Neither give codes, and a weak pump will still deliver some fuel to the rail.
« Last Edit: 24 June 2021, 14:31:08 by Doctor Gollum »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 June 2021, 14:34:31 »

A faulty MAF can give similar symptoms.

All these could be posts are why diagnosis is done with live data. Anything else is a guess.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 June 2021, 14:40:31 »

A faulty MAF can give similar symptoms.

All these could be posts are why diagnosis is done with live data. Anything else is a guess.

Yes, indeed, and that is why I must not forget what the engines tech readings gave the very experienced AA guy, with only the crank sensor as the leading culprit as the machine, nor rev counter, did not show the engine turning even when being turned over on the key.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 June 2021, 15:35:52 »

You cannot tell which sensor it is just from the loom connector. There are three sensor variants, one with a rectangular sided plug and two with oval sided plugs, in use on the sensor tails. All three sensors may fit the engine however they have different electrical resistances.

As your engine is a Y32SE V6 then the sensor required will be Bosch 0261210131 aka GM# 90540743. Just make sure that wherever it comes from it's a Bosch part with the Bosch number on it. You could try Autovaux.

The symptom you have is typical crank sensor failure. Heat eventually kills the sensor and/or the wiring tail and it stops working when hot, let the engine get cold and it works again. It'll likely get worse over time, engine cutting out when decelerating for traffic lights etc. Eventually it may not work at all.

Absent a P0355 fault code it could also be the fuel pump as DG mentioned.

Any replacement sensor needs to be square into the hole in the block. Don't rely on the screw to pull it into position. If the sensor head is not square or the gap to the reluctor ring is incorrect then the sensor won't work reliably.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 June 2021, 17:53:16 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 June 2021, 18:20:53 »

LZ - Do n to believe what your dealer tells you. As previously stated, EPC is incorrect about 75% of the time on V6 crank sensors.

So identify yours. Or be disappointed.

I actually agree with Dr Gollum on this, get a genuine GM one from a bricks and mortar dealer.  Partly because of the number of fake Bosch sensors out there, and partly because of our regular, frequent experiences here.  All those European sites that are actually the same, but try to look like separate companies, including Autodoc, are probably best avoided if you want genuine items (which you do).
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 June 2021, 19:44:19 »

LZ - Do n to believe what your dealer tells you. As previously stated, EPC is incorrect about 75% of the time on V6 crank sensors.

So identify yours. Or be disappointed.

I actually agree with Dr Gollum on this, get a genuine GM one from a bricks and mortar dealer.  Partly because of the number of fake Bosch sensors out there, and partly because of our regular, frequent experiences here.  All those European sites that are actually the same, but try to look like separate companies, including Autodoc, are probably best avoided if you want genuine items (which you do).

Thanks TB :y

I will find out if any other Vx dealer has them still ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 June 2021, 19:47:09 »

Yours should be able to if they can be bothered  :-X

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 June 2021, 05:33:56 »

15 years ago I bought a Bosch coil pack for my Omega from a Bosch service agent. Struck me that I had a pretty good chance getting a genuine part  :)

IIRC it was about half the price of buying from a VX dealer and they had the part in stock.

The place I went to was in Luton & only sold parts, don't know how I found it now :-\

All the searches I have tried come up with indi workshops.

https://www.boschaftermarket.com/gb/en/parts/?pi_url=%2Fpi%2Fserver%2Fen%2FGB%2FBosch-AA%2FAA_WEBSITE_UK_2018%2Fcategory%2Fce_32216725%2Fproduct%2F0261210205%3Fhints%3Dtrue%26categoriesFilter%3D%26selectedCategories%3Dce_32216725#scrolldetail

https://www.boschcarservice.com/gb/en/workshop-finder.html?searchLocation=canterbury
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 June 2021, 10:24:50 »

15 years ago I bought a Bosch coil pack for my Omega from a Bosch service agent. Struck me that I had a pretty good chance getting a genuine part  :)

IIRC it was about half the price of buying from a VX dealer and they had the part in stock.

The place I went to was in Luton & only sold parts, don't know how I found it now :-\

All the searches I have tried come up with indi workshops.

https://www.boschaftermarket.com/gb/en/parts/?pi_url=%2Fpi%2Fserver%2Fen%2FGB%2FBosch-AA%2FAA_WEBSITE_UK_2018%2Fcategory%2Fce_32216725%2Fproduct%2F0261210205%3Fhints%3Dtrue%26categoriesFilter%3D%26selectedCategories%3Dce_32216725#scrolldetail

https://www.boschcarservice.com/gb/en/workshop-finder.html?searchLocation=canterbury

Thanks for that Andy.  Nice local link for me to follow up with. :y :y

I have a Bosch one coming, although after the wise feedback I have had I am now still after a genuine Vx one for a belt and braces approach.

I have taken note of DG's fuel pump advice, so if the crank sensors (one of them!!) do not do the triick I am onto that option! ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25 June 2021, 12:33:58 »

Yours should be able to if they can be bothered  :-X

At my Vx dealer I deal with the parts manager who I have known for years and he has often carried out in depth research to find the genuine parts I need, including sourcing them from Germany.  When he says an item is now not available, rightly or wrongly, I believe him.

In this case he gave me a full Opel part number 1238740, product number 30494182, it's code K80 and of course confirmed the Vx number 90540743.  The Opel number is being quoted on the Autodoc Bosch sensor, along with the Vx one.  But as you all recommend I will continue to hunt for the Vx version, which I may just have found available on this forum!

Whilst writing, DG mentioned the fuel pump; where on the engine is that, as I have never replaced one on an Omega?  ??? ???

The Maintenance Guides do not seem to cover it's replacement either. ::) ::) :)
« Last Edit: 25 June 2021, 12:36:53 by Lizzie Zoom »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25 June 2021, 12:40:05 »

Its in the petrol tank. Access from under the circular plate on the floor of the boot.
I would bet my months wages its the crank sensor though. Assuming its still on the original one.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 June 2021, 12:57:01 »

Its in the petrol tank. Access from under the circular plate on the floor of the boot.
I would bet my months wages its the crank sensor though. Assuming its still on the original one.

Thanks for that :y :y

I am hoping it is the crank sensor, but now I know at last where the fuel pump is :D :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.