Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Crank Sensor Failure  (Read 18725 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Crank Sensor Failure
« Reply #30 on: 25 June 2021, 13:05:30 »

.............now with the info that the pump is above the fuel tank..................I am suddenly wondering if that does have something to do with the car suddenly not starting only two hours after filling the tank to the top on a warm day.

Just a coincidence?  The AA guy, as I said, checked the flow of fuel to the engine and found it all ok.  But is it possible that somehow fuel leaked to where the pump is and caused an interruption of supply that triggered an electronic response?

mmmmmmmmmmm??? ??? ???

I will still go for the crank sensor option first though. :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 25 June 2021, 13:20:10 »

.............now with the info that the pump is above the fuel tank..................I am suddenly wondering if that does have something to do with the car suddenly not starting only two hours after filling the tank to the top on a warm day.

Just a coincidence?  The AA guy, as I said, checked the flow of fuel to the engine and found it all ok.  But is it possible that somehow fuel leaked to where the pump is and caused an interruption of supply that triggered an electronic response?

mmmmmmmmmmm??? ??? ???

The fuel pump is inside the tank and immersed in the fuel. That helps to keep it cool, and dampen the noise it makes.
They tend to show symptoms of failure when the fuel level is low, especially if kept that way. These symptoms are exacerbated by shallow, flat tanks like Omega estates(most modern cars really) rather than the deep, upright tank in an Omega saloon.

The symptoms you listed in your first post aren't really those of a failing fuel pump. Those tend to be: poor starting when the level is low and the car has stood for sometime; extended cranking; blown fuses; needing to give the tank a thump to jolt the pump into working; all of those symptoms becoming increasingly common rather than intermittent.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 25 June 2021, 13:33:18 »

mmmmmmmmmmm??? ??? ???

The fuel pump is inside the tank and immersed in the fuel. That helps to keep it cool, and dampen the noise it makes.
They tend to show symptoms of failure when the fuel level is low, especially if kept that way. These symptoms are exacerbated by shallow, flat tanks like Omega estates(most modern cars really) rather than the deep, upright tank in an Omega saloon.

The symptoms you listed in your first post aren't really those of a failing fuel pump. Those tend to be: poor starting when the level is low and the car has stood for sometime; extended cranking; blown fuses; needing to give the tank a thump to jolt the pump into working; all of those symptoms becoming increasingly common rather than intermittent.

Thanks Nick.  Great info for me :y :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 25 June 2021, 14:16:47 »

I cannot prove the correlation between crank sensor failure and fuel pump failure, but each time I have needed to replace one, the other was within a month.

It could be that the extra cranking from the failing pump hammers the crank sensor, or it could be the other way around.

Once the engine fires, the fuel delivery system is self sufficient and I suspect that the crank sensor only does anything during cranking, ie once the engine fires it is done... Certainly, turning the key back from position 2 kills fuel and ignition so it doesn't stop the engine from running once started.  :-\
« Last Edit: 25 June 2021, 14:27:22 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 25 June 2021, 14:47:39 »

I take it you're getting you're crank sensor from Chris (Shackeng)?
Diesel till I die

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 25 June 2021, 15:32:32 »

I take it you're getting you're crank sensor from Chris (Shackeng)?

I was hoping so, but I have just found out it has already been sold. :)
« Last Edit: 25 June 2021, 15:34:21 by Lizzie Zoom »

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 25 June 2021, 15:46:21 »

Easy enough to check for fuel pressure using the Schrader valve at the back of the plenum, watch your eyes though as it doesn't half sting  ::) ;D
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 25 June 2021, 16:05:15 »

Easy enough to check for fuel pressure using the Schrader valve at the back of the plenum, watch your eyes though as it doesn't half sting  ::) ;D

Ah, thanks, but I believe the AA guy checked that with fuel squirting him well! ;D ;D ;D ;)

He also soaked his hands well in fuel when he unbolted the fuel lines from the plenum and I had to turn the ignition on - about 6 times! ;D ;D ;D :)
« Last Edit: 25 June 2021, 16:12:47 by Lizzie Zoom »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 25 June 2021, 16:24:49 »

Pressing the valve will confirm the presence of fuel and if there's any notable pressure. A gauge is necessary to confirm that some pressure is enough pressure.

Return flow to the tank is the final piece of the puzzle. TIS should have the full tolerances for pressures an flow rates.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 25 June 2021, 17:52:56 »

Just had to go into town.  The engine started as normal and performed as expected. Got up to full temperature by the time I got into town.

Went to do what I needed to, returned to the still warm car and it fired up again without any difficulty, taking me back home as usual.

So this is obviously, as many have said, an intermittent fault that will no doubt come back when I least want it.

The sooner I get the replacement sensor the better.  My nerves cannot stand not knowing my vehicle can be relied on to start or not! ::) ::)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 26 June 2021, 09:00:25 »

In  some ways whether it will start or not is the least of your problems.When mine failed[the first time] I was negotiating a roundabout,luckily I was carrying enough speed to coast off the roundabout onto one of the exits and a few yards along the road away from the roundabout.I say the first time because the replacement sensor-a genuine GM one-failed in about 600 miles.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 26 June 2021, 11:36:54 »

Its in the petrol tank. Access from under the circular plate on the floor of the boot.
I would bet my months wages its the crank sensor though. Assuming its still on the original one.

Thanks for that :y :y

I am hoping it is the crank sensor, but now I know at last where the fuel pump is :D :)

And as if by magic, a thread has appeared in the help section with pics of this very thing.  :)
https://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=148430.0
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 26 June 2021, 12:42:00 »

Its in the petrol tank. Access from under the circular plate on the floor of the boot.
I would bet my months wages its the crank sensor though. Assuming its still on the original one.

Thanks for that :y :y

I am hoping it is the crank sensor, but now I know at last where the fuel pump is :D :)

And as if by magic, a thread has appeared in the help section with pics of this very thing.  :)
https://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=148430.0

Yes, thanks that really has cheered me up! ;D ;D ;D ;D

I just hope my recent troubles have nothing to do with something like that ::) ::) :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 26 June 2021, 12:44:49 »

In  some ways whether it will start or not is the least of your problems.When mine failed[the first time] I was negotiating a roundabout,luckily I was carrying enough speed to coast off the roundabout onto one of the exits and a few yards along the road away from the roundabout.I say the first time because the replacement sensor-a genuine GM one-failed in about 600 miles.

At the moment Baza I have only been able to source the Bosch product, but I have noted what others have said about the Vx one, which I would still fit if I can get hold of one in time! ::) ::)

Your case does though prove that even the genuine replacement part can fail all too quickly ;)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 26 June 2021, 14:40:01 »

At the moment Baza I have only been able to source the Bosch product, but I have noted what others have said about the Vx one, which I would still fit if I can get hold of one in time! ::) ::)

Your case does though prove that even the genuine replacement part can fail all too quickly ;)

The reasons for insisting on genuine are to increase the likelihood of getting a high quality part and that the return procedure is better if it does fail quickly. I would like to suggest it helps to get the correct part when there's a choice, but sadly that often isn't the case.

An important thing to consider for genuine Omega parts is how long have they been in stock? That shouldn't affect things like sensors, but can be a real problem for rubber parts like seals, hoses and belts.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.