Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Crank Sensor Failure  (Read 19017 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Crank Sensor Failure
« Reply #90 on: 27 June 2021, 18:43:12 »

The last Crank senosr I bought was around £78 inc.
Was that the expensive type?  The last 2 V6's I owned - a 3.0l and a 3.2l - took the more common cheaper one, which last cost me something like £40-50, delivered from my local dealer :)

//TB rubs chin, wondering if his spare sensor is worth a gazillion quid ;D
Grumpy old man

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 27 June 2021, 18:47:33 »

Just as an aside to all the debate about a simple object of a crank sensor, might I just add that I have previously bought Bosch boxed Lamdas sensors for my 3.2 from Auto Doc via EBay. They arrived within a few days correctly tagged (AH on one - can't remember the other...) and have been absolutely no problem at all.
Not everyone has problems with EBay new / genuine parts suppliers - in fact I can't remember any problems at all in 18 years of using Ebay. I would happily buy a part from Auto Doc again if I couldn't get one over the counter.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 27 June 2021, 18:57:53 »

Just as an aside to all the debate about a simple object of a crank sensor, might I just add that I have previously bought Bosch boxed Lamdas sensors for my 3.2 from Auto Doc via EBay. They arrived within a few days correctly tagged (AH on one - can't remember the other...) and have been absolutely no problem at all.
Not everyone has problems with EBay new / genuine parts suppliers - in fact I can't remember any problems at all in 18 years of using Ebay. I would happily buy a part from Auto Doc again if I couldn't get one over the counter.

This is a wonderfully refreshing post for me :-* :-* :y

Perhaps Autodoc will deliver the genuine Bosch part I ordered and I can just fit it 8) 8) 8) :D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 27 June 2021, 19:18:18 »

The last Crank senosr I bought was around £78 inc.
Was that the expensive type?  The last 2 V6's I owned - a 3.0l and a 3.2l - took the more common cheaper one, which last cost me something like £40-50, delivered from my local dealer :)

//TB rubs chin, wondering if his spare sensor is worth a gazillion quid ;D
It was 2013, and yes, I practiced what I preached and bought it from a genuine dealer that I genuinely had to walk into.

I also walked out with my first Insignificant (a pre registered new '63 hatch for £12,500) so arguably quite an expensive purchase ;D

Ironically, I never fitted it as the problem turn out to be the ecu coolant temp sensor ;D
« Last Edit: 27 June 2021, 19:21:47 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 27 June 2021, 19:25:42 »

DG, now we can see why this thread has got to 7 pages and not just the one you have advocated! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 28 June 2021, 01:03:56 »

..................I would still like to know though the difference between the Bosch Pulse sensor and a RPM one? ??? ??? :D ;)
It's a Hall effect sensor, they're both the same thing, surely?
It isn't a Hall effect sensor - they are too slow to pick up the pulses from the toothed/slotted ring on the crankshaft.

The cam position sensor is a Hall effect sensor as it needs to be sensitive to pick up a pulse once every time the camshaft does a revolution (so half crank rpm). Hall effect sensors tend to be 3 wire devices because they need a power supply for an amplifier in the sensor which can then give a clean square wave output. (at 7000 rpm the cam is rotating at 3500 rpm or 58 pulses per second)

The crank sensor (rpm sensor / pulse sensor) is a 'reluctance sensor'. A small permanent magnet is held close to a toothed/slotted wheel (usually 35 teeth with a gap where tooth 36 should be). A coil of wire wrapped around the magnet gives a little pulse each time the magnet moves from a tooth to a slot & vice versa (at 7000 rpm approximately 8000 pulses per second)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 28 June 2021, 11:13:22 »

..................I would still like to know though the difference between the Bosch Pulse sensor and a RPM one? ??? ??? :D ;)
It isn't a Hall effect sensor - they are too slow to pick up the pulses from the toothed/slotted ring on the crankshaft.

The cam position sensor is a Hall effect sensor as it needs to be sensitive to pick up a pulse once every time the camshaft does a revolution (so half crank rpm). Hall effect sensors tend to be 3 wire devices because they need a power supply for an amplifier in the sensor which can then give a clean square wave output. (at 7000 rpm the cam is rotating at 3500 rpm or 58 pulses per second)

The crank sensor (rpm sensor / pulse sensor) is a 'reluctance sensor'. A small permanent magnet is held close to a toothed/slotted wheel (usually 35 teeth with a gap where tooth 36 should be). A coil of wire wrapped around the magnet gives a little pulse each time the magnet moves from a tooth to a slot & vice versa (at 7000 rpm approximately 8000 pulses per second)

Thanks greatly for that info Andy :y :y

I learn something new everyday 8) 8) 8) 8) :-* :-* ;)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 28 June 2021, 11:17:40 »

Thanks greatly for that info Andy :y :y

I learn something new everyday 8) 8) 8) 8) :-* :-* ;)
So do I, apparently  ;D
Diesel till I die

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 28 June 2021, 14:01:47 »

The pulse size from a variable reluctance sensor is very RPM dependent - it's amplitude is proportional to the rate of change of flux which basically means the number of teeth per second that pass the sensor.

Haven't looked at the Omega, but the one on the Carlton generates about 2V at tick-over (650RPM) , and over 200V at full chat (6500RPM).

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 30 June 2021, 09:22:23 »

Well, my Autodoc Bosch part is being delivered tomorrow.

But whilst still searching for the elusive Vx crank sensor 90540743 I have established that NONE of the Vx main dealers in Kent, South London and Sussex, like Perry's, W J King, Caffyn's, now have the part on their system as it has been discontinued.

So all of us Omega owners now have to rely on Bosch or similar versions, even if you walk to a genuine dealer, and try and get the genuine part, you will get a genuine NO!!, at least in our large part of the genuine World  ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)
« Last Edit: 30 June 2021, 09:26:09 by Lizzie Zoom »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 30 June 2021, 12:13:39 »

They have access to much wider than local stock.  :-X

Have you spoken to VX about their quote? They might be more inclined to bother if they are incentivised.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 30 June 2021, 16:23:47 »

They have access to much wider than local stock. :-X

Have you spoken to VX about their quote? They might be more inclined to bother if they are incentivised.

None of the main dealers have this item on their systems; the number is now "not recognised" or simply discontinued.

Why when I can do the job simply myself ;)
« Last Edit: 30 June 2021, 16:26:02 by Lizzie Zoom »

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 30 June 2021, 16:34:55 »

None of the main dealers have this item on their systems; the number is now "not recognised" or simply discontinued.

I think what Al was saying was, if you gave them the job to do, they'd soon get their hands on one.
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 30 June 2021, 17:23:30 »

I think what Al was saying was, if you gave them the job to do, they'd soon get their hands on one.
Exactly.

Also they have electronic access to the Opel parts network, so saying thst they can't find one in the whole of Europe is complete rubbish. Because they clearly cannot be bothered to look beyond the CT postcode :-X

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 30 June 2021, 17:25:30 »

Failing that any GM dealer that answers their phone could probably get you one before Monday.

It takes a little imagination and some resourcefulness, both of which seem to be notably absent.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.